IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED, try try try again and again (and again...)

I can't even really say it keeps me regular as I did get distinctly uncomfortable last week! I buy the frozen chunks, plop the entire kilo in a pan with a little water, and simmer.. it all mushes down nicely and then I add some sweetener. I have a small bowl each evening week nights when I'm on my own and more fanciful. I must admit that I was sooo tempted at the freezer shop, and thank goodness the foods were frozen! The brand was celebrating its 40 years and they had all sorts of delicious looking cakes with 40% off and the adverts and photos were everywhere. I spent three times more on my healthy stuff than I would have on a cake as is so often the case when you think about it...

Weight down a bit more this morning but will try not to register mentally that weight in case it goes up again before official weigh in!

Good luck to all x

You are doing really well Jo ! How much more do you have to lose x

I might just have to try the rhubarb thing :D

i think I'm about 1.5k over my wedding weight now but wasn't low enough then... I'd like to get just under 11 stone but perhaps that's too ambitious for me. That would be another stone to lose but I've not been there for a few years...

That's good jo I am about 9 off wedsing weight but that 10st 7 is always calling me so that is where I want to be. Or at least in the 140s!!!

I still haven't tried Rhubarb - but its on the shopping list for the weekend.

Having a bit (ahem) trouble and hoping the rhubarb does the trick :D

Hope everyone is doing well today xx

Morning all,

Vicky you're counting as an American does in all those pounds... hang on while I get my calculator! ok I was 169lbs last weigh in, would probably be happy with 158lbs but would love to dip below 154... 147 doesn't sound a lot!! I need to find somewhere I can (try to) stay within say 7lbs of and stop this manic yoyoing... but I'll probably run out of life years trying that since it's been my aim since 12 years old when I first dieted!!

I had a bone density xray yesterday. Just a routine thing pre menopause here and my gynae had told me all would be good given my 25-35km walking each week for quite a while now. Anyway the results were NOT good. With the three tests, I've an average Tscore of 20% less than one should have at my age and so am at high risk of osteoporosis (and am even borderline now...). Quite a shock to me, to be honest, as I was very blase going in there. Today I'll do the hormone blood test and then get back to my GP to see what's next. Doctor at lab warned that not only HRT would be required but "plus plus"... whatever that is. I was intrigued as to whether this could have been caused by years of dieting (no), being obese for many years (no - heavier people usually have better bone density, he mentioned).

It certainly puts other little worries back in their rightful place... I now have something real to concentrate on!

Food fine.

PP day yesterday
B: Dukan muffins
L: chicken breast and leg, sugar free yoghurt
S: sugar free jelly
D: salmon, prawns and dry fried egg
S: rhubarb, Dukan pancake, frozen sugar free yoghurt
46.23 min walk - 5.65 km - burnt 591 calories (that bit I doubt!)

Oh Jo that's bad news about scan would be interesting to read up on long term dieting and osteoporosis? Calories sound ok ish you must walk very fast !!!

Sorry about the bad news :( At least doc said it's not due to dieting and weight. Did doc recommend you anything to help? I'm quite worried about my bone density cos I read somewhere if you have lots of fizzy drinks especially in your twenties it affects your bones or something. It might be nonsense but it's always in the back of my mind.

Thanks ladies... I'm calmer now and have read lots on it and realise I've probably always been like this and it's not something we just become... fizzy drinks I read too somewhere. It seems it's before adulthood that we build our capital of density...

I'm seeing my doctor on 18th so will hang on until that appointment so as not to be squeezed in between two. whether he'll treat me or forward me to a colleague remains to be seen.

weights for my walk I wouldn't fancy as I have arthrosis so wouldn't want to worsen that. goodness! I'll check out the article on a computer rather than phone... nowhere have I read that dieting causes it, except perhaps as a teenager or adolescent I guess so there's no reason for you all to worry.

exercise does seem a good thing to do though... I'm even prepared to amend my food if need be...

I'm calm and serene now... probably worried it all out last night in bed!

thanks ladies...

What if croissants are the only cure ;)

Then I would "reluctantly" comply! haaa!
Seriously though, I would make any changes recommended. My GP is the one who gave me a photocopy of the old Mayo diet a few years ago, with grapefruit removed and two dinners to skip entirely, so I can't see him being any use on the nutritional front (like most doctors I've ever consulted!)

Research this morning shows that most of the foods to avoid are easy as we don't eat them anyway on Dukan or while dieting generally (except for ham which I've already cut down on): Processed meats, such as deli turkey and ham, and hot dogs; Fast food, such as pizza, burgers, tacos, and fries; Processed foods, including regular and reduced-calorie frozen meals; Regular canned soups and vegetables and vegetable juices; Baked products, including breads and breakfast cereals;

Salt isn't good. We cut down on Dukan but I can go lower (hubby will moan!).
"Protein is good for bones" (wonderful but then I read that they recommend 1g per kilo of body weight. On Dukan we're double or treble that.)
Caffeine and fizzy drinks need to be axed (or at least reduced)... (oh boy zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)

"The safest strategy is eating a diet that’s low in salt and rich in fresh and minimally processed whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. Include enough calcium and vitamin D from foods, and supplements if necessary, and be sure to limit caffeine and carbonated drinks."(fruit... hmm...)

Anyway enough of all that... my blood test results were strange so I'll wait for a doctor to interpret them. My numbers would seem to suggest I'm well into menopause. I'm now wondering (as you do when you know nothing!) whether I've been in menopause for years without knowing! (little voice wondering whether this could have been causing me additional weight issues? Nah! that was probably the food I was eating!!)

Jo let us know what the docs say !

Wow, Jo. That's a lot to take in. Hope your GP can give you some reassurance (and a referral to a useful dietician).

Should you have to give up caffeine, from experience it can be done without too much hardship (I have - bar one tea each morning - because I wasn't sleeping well. Decaf coffee is fine, decaf tea, I've not found here but plenty choice in herbal/fruit teas). With all the walking and the healthy way of eating (most of the time!), you've given yourself a head-start in the treatment stakes I'd have thought.

(Fingers crossed that croissants figure on the medication list though).

All fine here, sun shining, half hour brisk walk on my own and another one hour wander while chatting to a friend. Lovely. PP (near enough) day - home-made strained yogurt and oatbran, chicken and green salad, omelette with a little spinach, fromage blanc.

Hope everyone's having a good day.:)

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis Jo but it sounds as though it is not as bad as first thought? And as the others have said, it sounds like you're doing all the right things to tackle it! I admire your resolve to walk so far in whatever weather, & that must do wonders for your health - weight loss, vitamin D... You know exactly what you're doing so ignore those pesky stubborn scales! x

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis Jo but it sounds as though it is not as bad as first thought?
Not as bad in that there's not a lot I can do about it but my GP rang me within an hour of my faxing the results to him and left me a message mentioning a "petite osteoporosis" and "menopause". As I thought, perhaps worse, as the bone density results would indicate that I have a light osteoporosis now. ah well... problems to come but I could get run over by a bus between now and then of course ;)
I see him on 18th.

Small loss this week, and higher weight than earlier in the week, so will endeavour to stay off them next week. Ham snuck back in too. Coincidence or...?

Fabulous weather so looking forward to the weekend in the country...

:D

Enjoy a lovely weekend jo and sorry about the o and m words xxxxxx

Jo, being menopausal is so debilitating. Don't know how 'bad' you are at present but I am struggling big time. I am making school girl errors at work, concentration is appauling...name recognition is grandma style, temper and patience has gone running out of the door, and My weight huf ....say no more. Don't worry to much about the tests take vitamin E, drink loads of water....use Elmis moisturiser and smile xxx

Back