If I stop going to the gym/excersizing for 3-4 weeks will I gain weight?

fatty2slim

Hii alll, just a question.

Basically, during the past week (7 days I think, since I joined the gym) I've been regularly going to the gym and working out hardcore. BUT...

It has just dawned upon me that my exams are just 3 weeks away (FINAL YEAR UNI!!) :cry:And these are really realllyy important if I want to achieve a 2:1 overall so much material to cover... so I have to (unfortunately) discontinue excersize/gym for 3 weeks.. will I gain weight if I carry on eating healthily???

This is so frustrating :(

xxx

It really depends on the food you eat. If you allow yourself more food because of the exercise you do to maintain your current weight, then you may put on a bit of weight. I really don't think that it will be a noticeable amount in the time period though, and really do not think you have anything to worry about.

You want to do well in your exams; there is no point in cutting down on the calories too much, you will only be hungry and distracted in your exams.

You seem so keen on getting a good degree, even if you do gain a few pounds, your degree is for life, your weight isn't. Eat healthy, don't panic about your weight at the moment, your studies should have you're attention.

Hope this helps x

I totally agree with the previous poster. I'm a student, (although on a year out this year), and I always find that around this time with deadlines coming up, etc, I have to just forget the diet. I tend to have to just eat whatever I'm craving/fancy. I do normally go for a walk/run if I find that my mind is wandering too much, just for 10 mins to refocus. I go without music so I'm thinking about my work.

I think you'll be fine, you seem really conscious about your weight so I think you'll be okay. Just focus on your work, and good luck!

hey i am also worried about this!! i have exams 2 weeks away and not only do i worry about dropping the exercise but revision tends to make me binge on choocolate!! arrggh x

It really depends on the food you eat. If you allow yourself more food because of the exercise you do to maintain your current weight, then you may put on a bit of weight. I really don't think that it will be a noticeable amount in the time period though, and really do not think you have anything to worry about.

You want to do well in your exams; there is no point in cutting down on the calories too much, you will only be hungry and distracted in your exams.

You seem so keen on getting a good degree, even if you do gain a few pounds, your degree is for life, your weight isn't. Eat healthy, don't panic about your weight at the moment, your studies should have you're attention.

Hope this helps x

I totally agree with the previous poster. I'm a student, (although on a year out this year), and I always find that around this time with deadlines coming up, etc, I have to just forget the diet. I tend to have to just eat whatever I'm craving/fancy. I do normally go for a walk/run if I find that my mind is wandering too much, just for 10 mins to refocus. I go without music so I'm thinking about my work.

I think you'll be fine, you seem really conscious about your weight so I think you'll be okay. Just focus on your work, and good luck!

hey i am also worried about this!! i have exams 2 weeks away and not only do i worry about dropping the exercise but revision tends to make me binge on choocolate!! arrggh x

Thanks for the replies guys!

Serya - I am intending on eating healthily, during exam period I lose my appetite and can't eat when i'm really stressed, so not worried about over-eating/binging! x

Nati_jade - You're right, I am VERY concious about my weight, because ever since I can remember I have never been this light, and i'm not going to give up now when so close to the 10st mark lol x

Glasgow_celtic - Aww good luck chick! I hate exams so much! So much stress, try to focus and I hope you'll do well! x

Hello
I think you'll be fine if you don't have time to eat either! However, going for a walk to clear your mind will probably help during your revision and, if some of that revision is reading why not take your notes to the gym and do some time on the bike whilst you read (may as well use your membership fee!)
Good luck with your exams

Thats actually a really good idea!

Thanks! Good luck with your exams too!! Hopefully these will be my very last exams ever :)

The stress of exams always has a neg effect o my weight and I know for a fact I will gain, but after that I am free to exercise as much as i want with no exams to worry about! Cant wait xx

I'm in exactly the same situation as well. Exams start on 28th, so I'll not be frequenting the gym. However I am going to try and control what I eat. Emphasis on the "TRY". Good Luck
Joe x

Ahh, good to know i'm not alone!

Good luck all, final year uni exams darn it! So much stress, it's like I physically cannot eat, even if my stomach tells me otherwise! :(

So much stress, and thanks for all the ideas =)

You won't gain weight as long as your calorie intake is under your BMR, and if there's a large enough defecit you may even lose some still.

I'm a student too, though I'm a first year (mature student - exams in like 6 weeks or so). I always find that at the end of a hardcore revision day, excercising actually helps me destress and I guess I'm lucky my local pool is open until 10:30. Remember though, you still need to balance your life as stress can have a negative effect as well - excercise can help relieve this. Studies have actually shown that taking a break and going for a walk can actually be beneficial to the revision process.

Back