1. You can now easily put an SW award in your signature/posts like a smilie. Just look for the SW award tab after you tap on the smilie face.
    Dismiss Notice

Going to the gym alone!

Discussion in 'Slimming World Off Topic' started by nettie, 20 July 2014 Social URL.

1. nettie

nettie Gold Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    Hi Everyone, hope you're all well.
    Just looking for some advice:
    I usually go to the gym 3 times a week with 3 friends- I am quite confident going now and although the 3 of us go together we do split up at points as we all like doing different workouts. My 3 friends are all sisters and they have gone on a family holiday- therefore I either go it alone or don't go at all! We joined a new gym a few weeks ago.

I feel really nervous about going by myself which feels ridiculous seen as I go regularly anyway. So do any of you go to the gym alone and how did you get over the nerves?

Thanks in advance :)

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Jaffa Cake

Jaffa Cake Gold Member

Start Weight:
    12st10lb
    Current Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    2st0lb(15.73%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I either go by myself or with a friend depending on what she is doing. I have headphones music and my kindle and I would not let the idea of going by myself stop me as everyone is in the same boat there to get fitter and make a difference health wise.
    I even do classes by myself and I bet you more people go alone then with friends.
    It will give you a great feeling of achievement going alone and once you do you won't look back I bet ya

Let us know how you get on

4. nettie

nettie Gold Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    Did you feel nervous at first? I will definitely go and I am starting to recognise some regulars now so hoping it wont feel like I am 'alone' if that makes sense.
    You are so brave going to a class on your own- I wont even go with friends. I have no coordination at all and I'd be the one going the opposite way to everyone else lol x

5. Jaffa Cake

Jaffa Cake Gold Member

Start Weight:
    12st10lb
    Current Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    2st0lb(15.73%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    To be honest I cant remember ! I will be 40 this year and I have been a gym member on and off since I was 18 so going alone has been something I have done for a long long while !

I am sure it will be fine

6. Mrscush

Mrscush Woman on a mission!

Start Weight:
    11st9lb
    Current Weight:
    11st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st2lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I always go on my own! If using the gym I just plug in my headphones and off I go!

I prefer classes though, never really worried about going alone as I throw myself into the workout so would be no time to chat to a friend or worry about what I / we look like!

Go for it Hun, I promise it won't be as bad as you think xx

7. sareypoop

sareypoop Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st11.6lb
    Current Weight:
    12st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st7.6lb(17.15%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I hate going to the gym on my own if my friend can't make it. I force myself to go though! I normally take my headphones and as all the treadmills and bikes have TV screens in, I go when there's something on I want to watch.
    Classes are good if you are on your own as a lot tend to go on their own so you are all the same. You don't notice so much when I class starts either. X

8. Jaffa Cake

Jaffa Cake Gold Member

Start Weight:
    12st10lb
    Current Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    2st0lb(15.73%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Did you go ? How was it ?

9. I go everywhere on my own. No alternative. You soon get used to relying on yourself.

10. TeePee

TeePee Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st13.5lb
    Current Weight:
    11st8.8lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st13lb
    Lost(%):
    0st4.8lb(2.84%)
    Diet:
    Slimming world
    I used to go to the gym on my own, it was fine. Plug in the music and away i went! I used to find nobody payed any attention to anybody else.
    im rejoining the gym today, with my mum this time.
    I dont like going to classes on my own to start with, but once ive been a few times im fine.
    im sure you will be fine aswell :)

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.