If you could give one piece of advice

Another good thing I have learnt is from Paul McKenna's programme on TV. I never watched the whole thing and don't follow his diet etc but he spoke about "conscious" eating and I expect we are all guilty at some point of stuffing food in our face without thinking. It really hit home with me and I do make a point of being aware of eating and to always leave something on my plate, albeit a mouthful at times but I do leave something :)

Another good thing I have learnt is from Paul McKenna's programme on TV. I never watched the whole thing and don't follow his diet etc but he spoke about "conscious" eating and I expect we are all guilty at some point of stuffing food in our face without thinking. It really hit home with me and I do make a point of being aware of eating and to always leave something on my plate, albeit a mouthful at times but I do leave something :)

Oh how true is that, the amount of times I have sat down to eat a meal and rushed it to get on to doing the next task in hand. I don't even realise I have eaten anything. I am deffinately going to make a concious effort to sit and enjoy my food and savour the flavours. Thanks for pointing it out.

Don't get obsessed with the numbers on the scales. It's all about your body size and shape...the inches and how your clothes fit! Make sure you take your measurements at every half stone and you'll definitely see a difference - especially if you're doing exercise as well.
Focus on that :D

On that point - also don't get hung up on what number is on a label. All clothes shops vary in size to some extent and it can be demoralising having to get a size up when you thought you were a size lower! Go by how the clothes fit - don't squeeze yourself into the smaller size just because you want to say 'I'm in a 10!!!' when really you'll look like you're wearing something too tight. Get the next size up, which will fit better and actually be more flattering! :)

Well you need to not see the plan as a diet. People always say to me can you eat this can you eat that? I always say i can eat whatever i want, i just have to take into account the syns etc. So my advice would be to never limit yourself from having treats, and make use of flexible syns. Last week i went to pizza hut all you can eat buffet and had ben n jerries in cinema afterwards and yet at the weigh in at the end of the week i still managed to lose 7 pounds in my 8th week. Put simply i used flexi syns to make up for the fact that i had used basically all my syns in one day.

Hi, all

Live in the present. Be conscious.

Stop dwelling in the past or worrying about what could happen. Live your life now and be conscious of what you are doing/eating!

My Slimming World motto;
This isn't a race or quick fix, this plan is teaching me how to eat and love food.

One meal, one day or even one week "off plan" isn't going to ruin the decades of a new slim me that I have to look forward to.

I'm not on a diet or even a eating plan, I'm in a class to better myself, in the same way I'd take a class to learn a new language, learn how to draw or learn how to dance. I'm in the Slimming World class to learn how to be healthy.

My motto for life is;
Be young, be foolish, but be happy. This is now, we only get one chance so why waste it?

We all came into the world the same way, we will all go out the same way, why be different in between? No one has ever or will ever have the right to treat anyone as if they were better than the other.

And my motto applicable to both is;
Take responsibilty for yourself in the good and the bad. You make your own choices and no one can force you. Learn from your mistakes and move on, trying not to fall in the same traps. Remember the good and happy times and live life with those feelings

And finally one of my favourite quotes I ever heard, from a time when I kept feeling like no matter what I did I ended up in the sh*t;

I walked this path and I fell in the blo*dy great puddle. I walked the path the next day and fell in the blo*dy great puddle. I walked the path the next day, tried to avoid it, but still fell in the blo*dy great puddle. Tomorrow I think I'll take a different path.

Use positivity as your motivation. DON'T think "I am so fat and ugly", or put a fat picture on your fridge as this is a form of mental abuse.

Think of all your pretty, lovely attractive features. Learn to feel good about yourself and change your thouhts to "I am going to look even better in 6 months". Put a picture of you looking gorgeous on the fridge.

See yourself throught the eyes of someone who loves you and describe yourself.
xxx

Lots and lots of wise ideas here folks! But DearFatty's comments about 'conscious' eating really struck a chord.
I remember hearing that, however SMALL the item you're going to eat might be, SIT DOWN to eat it, to savour and enjoy it to the full.
I'm sure, like Charlottegrace1, we're ALL guilty at times of eating a WHOLE MEAL without it registering!
I'm always guilty, when preparing fruit and veg, of cutting a bit off thinking 'that looks a bit manky', then find when I go to put all the waste into the compost bin, most of it's gone - I've distractedly EATEN most of it!!! No harm SW wise I suppose...

Ooohhh and when you are deciding what to eat, or whether to walk or take the bus etc. ask yourself "What would a thin person do?" and do that.

Be honest with yourself - if you're not, there's only one person you are fooling.
When we say we have been "good" and deseve a loss, can we honestly say we have been good? Have we weighed and measured our A's and B's, counted all our syns and stuck to plan 100%? If so then we can be disappointed but it's not always true, we can't honestly say we have been "good" - slimmer's amnesia always kicks in.

Always be honest is my tip for non-sw things too :)

That and live each day like it's your last, I lost my best friend a few years ago and I miss her terribly, I'd have loved to have done so much more with her, now I try not to let any opportunity pass me by.

Keep control of what you eat, don't let the food control you. Even on SW, don't let it dictate everything you eat, go over your syns on the odd day, don't decline going out because there is nothing on the menu "SW friendly", learn to know that its fine to have a few days off plan, because if you don't, and you let the changein diet rule you, you will end up on a path you won't want to be on.

Think of the start of the week as having 7 fresh flowers. If you have a bad day and go off plan you wouldnt let the other 6 die would you? Just get straight back on plan again and look after the remaining 6 and you will have a beautuiful vase!

I was a slow loser losing a pound n half a week & i decided to write a diary so i can see any hidden sins that i was eating and i lost 4LBS .. :)

Keep a diary is the way forward & at least then you can see where you have gone wrong or right :D

xxxx

This has probably been said before, but the best thing I've found is to never let a bad day turn into a bad week. EVER. Draw a line under it, don't beat yourself up over it either, and get right back on track the next day. You may be pleasantly surprised :) xx

Don't let hunger be confused with boredom! I am terrible for this. I try to tidy out a draw, or clear out my wardrobe if I've got nothing planned for a day off, otherwise, I'd spend the day in and out of the kitchen!

Plan what you're going to eat for the next few days too.

Another one is (which is maybe just personal to me) if I'm having one of those 'eat everything i see' days, make sure everything I do eat is free food, that way, although I'm pigging out, at least its allowed!

One I do struggle with is eating at set times, I wish I could be more strict with that, sometimes I just tend to graze all day rather than breakfast, lunch and dinner!

Like others have said but my no1 piece of advice is good or bad, keep a food diary and be honest with it.

Back