I'm a picker: help

Sio

So if I'm out for dinner I can eat the good bits and leave the rest, but I eat quite fast and end up polishing off, e.g. the shared chips or batter I carefully removed from fish while waiting for everyone else to finish, or having seconds.

Does anyone have any tactics to help me stop nibbling, or to help me eat slower?

Try putting down the cutlery between each bite, and my Nan always used to say chew each bit 20 times!

I do it too. It's more controllable at home. I have eaten half a jar of pickled gerkins while dinner is on the go tonight and we are waiting for hubby to get in!

Could you have a sugar free mint as soon as you have finished your course and waiting for the others, would this stop the picking?

Good ideas, I'd often have ate a sandwhich while making the lunches for the next day! I'll try the chewing idea tonight and get some mints tomorrow.

Problem is 3 nights a week we don't have dinner until 9pm as OH goes to the gym, so I'm STARVING by then. I try eating fruit etc but don't want to end up having another meal.

Im a picker too :( especially off the kids plates while my tea is cooking! (if we aren't eating together)
I save my HEb so if i get to feel like picking i can have 2 alpen lights! That really helps. Also, things like fish batter/chicken skin,pork crackling etc etc i get rid of strait away so they cannot temp me. I either put it strait in the bin or feed it to hubby if home, and if out i wrap it in a napkin and ask the waitress to take it away! Its extream lol but i KNOW i would eat it if it was on my plate!
Eating slower is something i also have a problem with, i have 4 kids, one 8 months old, so time is at a premium and i dont have a solution :(
But if me and hubby manage a meal when the kids are all in bed, i make sure i chew and savour every bite! Also serve food piping hot on a hot plate (heated in the oven) so you have to eat slower or you burn your mouth :) xx

Sio, when your waiting for the OH, how about making some soup ? I often have a bowl as a starter before my dinner , even sometimes as much as an hour before dinner....stops me from picking, and I tend to make neutral superfree soups so it's all good

The soup is a great idea.

If the children are eating earlier and they dont clean the plates I quickly squirt washing up liquid on it when I take the plate from the child as it is the only way I can guarentee I wont touch the leftovers!

Sio, when your waiting for the OH, how about making some soup ? I often have a bowl as a starter before my dinner , even sometimes as much as an hour before dinner....stops me from picking, and I tend to make neutral superfree soups so it's all good

The soup idea is a fantastic one, just batch make some up at the weekend and have a bowl at about 7 or 8 to stave off the hunger until your actual dinner with your hubby.

Make it superspeed too and it might even help the weightloss along :D

xx

Back