I'm facing my first big test... :$

IrishMum

A little of everything!
As some of you know, I have been 'waiting' for an Aunt of mine to pass away from terminal cancer. Well, she died this morning. I'm happier for her- she was in a lot of pain at the end.
Anyway, an Irish wake involves lots of tea & sandwiches & alcohol, then there will be a meal after the funeral for the family- probably a beef dinner or similar?
I'll be able to swing the wake I think, by keeping busy on 'sandwich' duty, and lots of black tea & a flapjack on standby- but I'm at a loss how to work the family meal after the funeral? It'd be the height of bad manners to not go/eat, and substituting it for a shake/soup couldn't be done either? I could get away with bluffing a little- i.e. give my hubby the meat or veg- but I can't see a way out of eating nothing without drawing attention to myself- and I don't want to be the focus on such an occasion? If I was to eat something- what would do the least 'harm'- some meat or some veg? How many shakes should I have as well that day to 'compensate'? One or two? I thought i'd have at least the first week over me when this happened, but who was to know?
Any advice is appreciated? Thanks :wave_cry:

Hi so sorry to hear of your Aunt passing away, but like you say, sometimes these things are a blessing if your Aunt was suffering.

If you couldnt get away without eating or drinking, just treat it as a first day refeed, 2 shakes and a small meal. If beef was the only option on the menu just have beef with all fat trimmed off and green veg. Chicken would be a better option but lean beef wouldnt be too harmful.

Thoughts are with you and your family at this sad time.

Thanks for your sympathy Kered.

If I just had one or the other (just meat or veg) would that be better? I.e. not knock me too far out of ketosis?

It's bizarre to be worrying about food at a time like this!

Lean protein and green veg wont knock you out of ketosis, by only having one or the other your body could be lacking in essential nutrients on that day hun, that would be my only worry.

On my third week I got snowed in and the Pharmacy told me to eat chicken and green veg, 2 tablespoons of green veg and 4oz of chicken, I had to do this 2 days in a row and the following week I lost 8lb over 2 weeks, so it didnt harm me.

Lean protein and green veg wont knock you out of ketosis, by only having one or the other your body could be lacking in essential nutrients on that day hun, that would be my only worry..
Oh- I never thought of that! So should I have one or two shakes that day as well do you think?

On my third week I got snowed in and the Pharmacy told me to eat chicken and green veg, 2 tablespoons of green veg and 4oz of chicken, I had to do this 2 days in a row and the following week I lost 8lb over 2 weeks, so it didnt harm me.
Thats re-assuring? The funeral will likely be on Thursday and my first weigh-in was due to be on Friday morning- I'd be gutted if my first weeks loss was screwed up because I had to eat!

hi irish mum - I am really sorry to hear of your loss. I am irish too and I know what you mean if you didnt eat there will be eyes rolling to the heavens and a lotof focus would be on you. As the others say i would stick to a small serving of the veg and a tiny bit of meat - try and go easy on the gravy, drink lots of water and you will be grand. My thoughts are with you, good luck x

Thanks everyone for all your advice. It'll be hard, but there'll always be occasions that test us!

aw sorry for your loss irish mum :(

But like everyone else has said - chicken and veg is best but if no chicken just have a little beef. Avoid carbs like the plague! i.e potatoes!

Jayz!! I never thought of avoiding the spuds! LOL! Thats the Irish in me! Thanks again everyone. I mightn't get on here much over the next few days, so fingers crossed I get through it!

Lol!

I am sure you can manage it honey. Be strong :D

No gravy, just lean beef and maximum of 2 tablespoons of green veg, nothing else on your plate. Also 2 shakes that day hun.

Hi, sorry for your loss. I had to eat on sunday as i was feeling very unwell and just had some salmon and green salad, i also got weighed the day after and lost 4.5lbs so if your careful it shouldnt effect your weigh in.

Thats really reassuring! Thanks, I was just worried that I'd ruin my 'first' weigh-in!

I got throught the first night of the wake okay- loads of black tea and I avoided all the lovely fresh sandwiches & buns that we made! I'll try & do the same tonight, I have a bar for 'emergencies'. Then I've just tomorrow to get through. It should be fine, you've reassured me its not the end of the world if I have to eat a small bit? I'm going to get some looks for avoiding alcohol- I'll have to tell them I'm off it for Lent! That'll raise some eyebrows alone! LOL!

Last edited:
Thanks Jojo. I hope my first week loss is as good as yours!

Thanks Katc. It's a bit weird at the minute. She was a very glamorous lady- always had her hair, nails & make-up immaculate- even in the hospice! But her coffin is closed at the wake because she felt she didn't look her best at the end, and wanted people to remember her the way she was? So she picked out a glam photo to place on top, but it's like she's not really there because I can't see her iykwim? This might sound weird to any non-rc reading, it's an Irish thing I guess!

We all have to wear pink tomorrow- as she always said 'I don't do black'! LOL!

Sad news for you and your family, hun. Sounds as if you have now had the best advice from the LT Stars, so all I can do is wish you the very best of luck.

Thats really reassuring! Thanks, I was just worried that I'd ruin my 'first' weigh-in!

I got throught the first night of the wake okay- loads of black tea and I avoided all the lovely fresh sandwiches & buns that we made! I'll try & do the same tonight, I have a bar for 'emergencies'. Then I've just tomorrow to get through. It should be fine, you've reassured me its not the end of the world if I have to eat a small bit? I'm going to get some looks for avoiding alcohol- I'll have to tell them I'm off it for Lent! That'll raise some eyebrows alone! LOL!

You're welcome, obviously we shouldnt make a habit of it, but if needs must etc. Stay away from the alcohol, 1 glass of wine and you will be so drunk.

Good luck tomorow iriishmum - kered I am loving the two pics of you next to eachother very inspirational!

Thank you very much, glad to be of inspiration to people as thats what really got me into lipotrim was by looking at the fantastic results and photos on here. Good luck hun, lipotrim is great.

Thanks Katc. It's a bit weird at the minute. She was a very glamorous lady- always had her hair, nails & make-up immaculate- even in the hospice! But her coffin is closed at the wake because she felt she didn't look her best at the end, and wanted people to remember her the way she was? So she picked out a glam photo to place on top, but it's like she's not really there because I can't see her iykwim? This might sound weird to any non-rc reading, it's an Irish thing I guess!

We all have to wear pink tomorrow- as she always said 'I don't do black'! LOL!

She sounds like 'some woman', really lovely. I like the idea of pink and celebrating someones life. Hope all goes well.

Last edited:
Back