I'm limited to what food I can prepare due to disability.. Need ideas

Johnny5alv

Hi

I'm hoping someone can help me here.. I am wanting to start eating healthily but I don't really know where to start or what I can easily make. I lack movement (mostly on my left side) so am not able to prepare food easily and I don't own a cooker. I'm looking for things I can buy that require little perpetration that are healthy. If it helps, I'm not looking for fancy meals.. Just basics. I'll eat raw veggies etc. I'm not an expert on the 'right' diet either so I'm just looking for guidance. Thanks for any help, Jon.

Hi Jon,

Not having a cooker is a big thing - it really does limit you dramatically, is there any way you could buy one? Or is the disability the issue? A microwave would be the next best thing, you can still cook chicken, veggies, soups, porridge etc and other healthy foods in there. If standing or peeling things is an issue, you can buy pre-packaged veg, noodles, potatoes, rice that can just go straight in the oven. It might be worth checking out some healthy ready meals as well.

Something like tuna salad requires no cooking.
Chicken wraps with microwave rice?
Chinese vegetable stir fry with beansprouts, peppers etc and noodles?
Readymade risotto, paella, stews, curries etc.
Plenty of fresh fruit.

There shouldn't be anything you "can't" eat really, but it's always good to limit stodgy stuff like cheese, pasta, too much bread, etc.

A slow cooker may be helpful here. You can have everything ready in the morning, throw it in the post and its ready at night time.

Works well for diced meat (mostly beef, venison, lamb or pork) and veg, add some stock and you have a lovely soup. Add a dash of yoghurt and cornstarch (to thicken it and flavour it) and you have a lovely stew :)

Have you considered something like wiltshire farm foods who deliver nutritious meals that you only need to heat up, then add salad to it or warm up some veggies with it?

Back