Im not sure if this is in the right place

twirly09

Basically the doctor has told me to lower my blood pressure. Ive cut salt from my diet as much as I can, but i want to know any other tips on lowering blood pressure. I have to go back about the 14th of september to get it tested again and want to see a bit of a difference.

Please help :(

Losing the salt as you're doing is the best thing you can do right away. Salt (sodium) causes your kidney to retain more water to balance the sodium out (so your body doesn't get too salty!)- this leads to extra fluid in your body, and in your blood vessels in particularly. Your body then has to increase your blood pressure in order to pump all that extra fluid in the vessels around your body. There's loads of hidden salt in alot of things, so make sure you check the packets. Otherwise, the other things that will lower your blood pressure are more long-term strategies - losing weight as you're already doing, and more exercise. If you smoke, if you can quit that will have dramatic effects on lowering your blood pressure.
When you go back to have it rechecked, try and relax and think happy thoughts whilst the doctor's taking it. If you're really stressing about what value it will be, your body will automatically up your blood pressure to prepare for a 'stress response' !!

Back