Image Therapy Question

littledolly

Hi all
I am just curious to know what happens during Image Therapy at your SW class? I'm not entirely sure what I expected, but our Consultant just goes round everyone and asks how their week was and what they are going to do to ensure a loss next week. I had hoped to be able to pick up handy tips and good ideas, but so far there has been very little of this. Don't get me wrong, I do like the class, but just wondered what the format was elsewhere.

yeah thats what happened in another class i was in no inspiration and it got very boring. ive swapped to a new class and they have started doing a taster night once a month and she sets little challenges for us to do like more exercise, drinking more water or try a new recipe ect. she also asks members to give tips if someone hasnt done so well and see what works for them.

Thats all we tend to do in our classes everyone gets weighed then we spend the rest of the time going round everyones losses or gains. We do have a taster day once a month but to be fair i was expecting something different when i started attending the classes.

We go round everyone & talk about the week just gone & the week ahead, we share tips & ideas, people bring new stuff in for us to taste, it is more like a social group meeting than a class really. We tend to have a good laugh with each other & make fun but also pick people up when they are feeling down. I love my group but the C has a lot to do with it, if you get a good one they are worth their weight in gold! Our is on holiday soon for 2 weeks & the woman that takes over is so boring I probably won't stay for class

every class is different. my class is great we all chat and share ideas its really funny.
I have been to some that just do losses/gains and find them boring.
If you can't move groups how about when it gets to your turn ask a question that will start a chat. like i'm getting bored with breakfast and need more ideas hopefully the cons will ask the room. hopefully others will then start to ask questions to and you will get a better group

thats all that happened in our class, but now the class is smaller we do get to talk a lor more about recipes etc

I reckon it has a lot to do with the Consultant, and how she can get information out of the members, when she's going through the weightlosses or stayed the sames or gains ..... some manage to keep the conversation side going really well, while others might not be able to do this very well ..... My Consultant really gets us involved, and we put our tuppence worth in when someone asks questions, or has a wee moan about their Syns or whatever! My Consultant often goes through the items in the Slimmer of the Week basket and gets a discussion going on what we could use the contents for, she sometimes divides the group into two and gets us to keep scores, awarding points for weightloss, say 10 points for 1 pound, 5 for half a pound, we get 5 points if we've had a gain, or stayed the same but have stayed to Image Therapy .... that sort of thing, Consultant often gets us talking around the Slimming World password too, eg if it was "skipping" that week, she'll ask if anyone likes to skip .... that'll lead onto all sorts of body magic chat within the group ........ sometimes the Consultant will hold a taster evening at group and the week before we'll chat about what to bring, go through a couple of simple recipe ideas, and we'll decide what we'll bring in the following week .... Variety is the spice of life ..... We have a cuppa or juice, sometimes the Consultant will bring in a low Syn snack for us to try with our drinks, which will lead onto conversation, we'll flick through some of the literature on the centre interest table, reading about success stories from the local papers or in the SW magazines, We'll check out the sample SW recipe books, Check up on Syns from the SW Directory ....... No two weeks are the same at my present group ........ it all adds to the fun of the evening ..... it's a real social night out for me!

I've been to a few different groups, run by different Consultants and they're all slightly different, but on the whole, the Consultant covers most of the things I've mentioned from time to time ..... funny thing that I've found is that a lot of people don't stay for the full session, so don't actually know what goes on .... maybe they've stayed once at the beginning and felt they didn't get much out of it so then they don't bother staying again ..... ? I've always stayed for the full session (except on really rare occasions when I've had to look after the grandkids, and they've been playing up, or whatever) I reckon that when you pay the £4.95 per week, you ought to get your money's worth! lol

Last edited:
I have joined 3 groups now and all of them have just been going round everyone, saying if they lost, how much and a clap.

It's very dull (and embarrassing when it got to me as I don't like being in the spotlight).

I have just started going it alone today but am contemplating joining my old group on Thursday night - I won't be staying after I weigh if I do though.

Before I joined I thought it would be more like my old WW meeting where we generally had a chat, got tips and nobody had to speak up if they didn't want to (and it was a long time before I felt part of it and lost my shyness enough to get stuck in).

I like the concept of SW, but I find Image Therapy cringy.

just bumping this as having similar thoughts on image therapy. I want to stay for some motivation and to get good ideas etc, but the whole hour is spent really slowly going round peoples weight loss, it's so painful. I remember years ago when i did this, it was a really quick run through losses for the week then onto a topic of the week. Do any groups still do that? tonight I left early as there was 15 minutes to go, and there were still so many people to get round, and the raffle etc etc.
Arg I don't want to be negative, I just really want to have a good meeting after weigh in...

I've recently been visiting a group nearby (which is at an earlier time to my normal class) and I've found the consultant to be great..... yes everyone was spoken to in the group (gains/losses.. this week/next week etc) but also there were loads of discussions too about recipes, new food findes etc. Also the structure of the group wasnt made to feel like it was the boring 'so mrs x you lost x what do you hope to do next week, so mrs y you lost x and what do you hope to do next week', this made all the difference to the feel of the class. It was less like sitting through a list of losses and gains!

I'd really recommend trying a few different classes if you can as £5ish is alot to pay if you dont feel you get much from class :)

I've recently been visiting a group nearby (which is at an earlier time to my normal class) and I've found the consultant to be great..... yes everyone was spoken to in the group (gains/losses.. this week/next week etc) but also there were loads of discussions too about recipes, new food findes etc. Also the structure of the group wasnt made to feel like it was the boring 'so mrs x you lost x what do you hope to do next week, so mrs y you lost x and what do you hope to do next week', this made all the difference to the feel of the class. It was less like sitting through a list of losses and gains!

I'd really recommend trying a few different classes if you can as £5ish is alot to pay if you dont feel you get much from class :)

There is another group near me on a Thursday night, I might try it out!!

Go for it :) :)

I love my SW group but my consultant is a bit hit or miss. She's a little forgetful which is funny but annoying.

She goes around the group and asks how everyones week is going, talks about what they have lost or gained that week etc. We share tips but only when someone asks and every so often we have taster evenings. I feel like we celebrate peoples successes but if they are doing well week on week she just kind of skims past it.

To be honest, she isn't the greatest. Don't get me wrong she is lovely but like I said she is forgetful. She is leaving in a few weeks and we will have a new person which hopefully will be better.

We have had other consultants cover us a few times and they have been FANTASTIC. They are really excited about everything and so positive!! Sharing tips, ideas, recipes, exercise tips and other things. And they really celebrate peoples successes.

I found the whole idea and experience of image therapy very cringey to start with. My mum and I joined at the same time and she found it a bit too happy clappy. But we have got used to it now and oh a whole enjoy image therapy.

I am really lucky. Our consultant is great and there are a LOT of funny and strong personalities.
She always asks if we have tried anything new and there is always lots of recipe swapping etc. We also have a recipe of the week ( I run the raffle and always try to get prizes linked to the recipe) and lods of challenges which prizes are awarded for.
There have also been times where members that are struggling really spill their hearts out and open up and I genuinely look forward to every Tuesday. Cheesy I know, but I have made some very specail friends there. We live in a small town and often have nights out together ect. A great group!

I think the Image Therapy in itself, ie, just saying what poeple have lost or gained can get a bit monotonous but its all the extra bits I have mentioned above that make it fun. x

I am really lucky. Our consultant is great and there are a LOT of funny and strong personalities.
She always asks if we have tried anything new and there is always lots of recipe swapping etc. We also have a recipe of the week ( I run the raffle and always try to get prizes linked to the recipe) and lods of challenges which prizes are awarded for.
There have also been times where members that are struggling really spill their hearts out and open up and I genuinely look forward to every Tuesday. Cheesy I know, but I have made some very specail friends there. We live in a small town and often have nights out together ect. A great group!

I think the Image Therapy in itself, ie, just saying what poeple have lost or gained can get a bit monotonous but its all the extra bits I have mentioned above that make it fun. x

this sounds like the type of group I am looking for, but don't see that in my current one, I have to be honest, i'm not the best at just starting to talk to people, and everyone there seems to have their little cliques. (sort of whispering amongst themselves) I think I might definitely try out a few others in the area!!! :eek:

this sounds like the type of group I am looking for, but don't see that in my current one, I have to be honest, i'm not the best at just starting to talk to people, and everyone there seems to have their little cliques. (sort of whispering amongst themselves) I think I might definitely try out a few others in the area!!! :eek:

Its definitely not like that at mine! Come to Cornwall and join ours lol.

I have been to other classes however, that have been dominated by the 'in crowd' so I know how you feel - keep looking - I am sure you will find a group that gives you the welcome you deserve x

stivesliz said:
Its definitely not like that at mine! Come to Cornwall and join ours lol.

I have been to other classes however, that have been dominated by the 'in crowd' so I know how you feel - keep looking - I am sure you will find a group that gives you the welcome you deserve x

I would love to come to your group but fear for the 5 hour commute ? I will def persevere with group, as I think it's the key to staying motivated!! ??

pamiepie said:
I would love to come to your group but fear for the 5 hour commute ? I will def persevere with group, as I think it's the key to staying motivated!! ??

Hmm I put little smileys in but they came out as question marks :-S, so my post sounds a little odd lol!!

I love my group and my consultant is a true inspiration. Is Cheshire any nearer for you then pamipie??? I am a member of the social team and when we have a new member sat on her own when I have finished booking members in, I go and sit with the new member to help them feel a little less like "the new girl/boy". It is easy for cliques to develop but our group is very much all together and we love to share recipes, successes,help and support each other with a fab consultant. Love it

Back