Image Therapy

they sometimes say "you've had a gain" or "you gained 1lb" but shouldn't say you're actual weight.
I have usually found the consultants I have had, have usually said "so you've had a little gain, how do you feel? Do you know whay that may have happended?" or something to that effect - they have ususally left out the actual amount of pounds gained and left it up to the person to reveal that if they wanted during the discussion that followed.
I think thats better, I'd rather that than them telling everyone exactly how much I'd put on.

Well my consultant does just that - tells the whole group what your gain is. I thought I'd sink through the floor the first time, especially as it was unexpected and I couldn't explain it. When it happened a second time, I cried. I now dread WI, just in case, no matter how well my eating week has gone.
Apparently one of the members has tentatively suggested that it's not ideal but her attitude is that if you want the applause when you've lost you should take it in the same way when you've gained, which I kind of understand when you've eaten the tablecloth and can take it on the chin, so to speak, but not when you're struggling.

I've been to 2 different groups, both consultants say how much you have lost, but if you've gained, they say "oh, you've had a slight gain" and leave it up to you to elaborate if you wish - to be honest, your C sounds like a real insensitive cow!

I'm sure there must be rules about how they run the group - I get on with my consultant, I might ask her - I really dont think they are supposed to tell everyone your actual gains unless you are happy for them to do so (my C sometimes says, oh, well it was only 1/2 a pound, or a pound as you don't mind so much if its a low gain - lets everyone know that it wasnt massive)

I really dont like the sound of her, and I'm not sure I could stay to group if I had someone like that - are there other options where you are?

Thanks. There probably are other options but I'm on a 12 week referral so I'm getting the meeting and an exercise class free at present. Once the 12 weeks are up I might investigate changing x

If there are other groups in the area you can still change groups - your vouchers are for Slimming World, and as far as I'm aware that can be any Slimming World group.

I was on the vouchers for 24 weeks and I changed groups during that time (I only changed for convenience as a new group started that was closer to home)

Everyone gets their losses AND gains read out at our group - we don't have a choice! Well, unless they haven't stayed for IT, in which case C just moves on to the next person. Just remember though, you're not the only one who's being told they've lost/gained - when you're there at WI, nobody else cares about your numbers, they're only there for their own. I'm not being rude in saying that, am I? It is true though!

Everyone gets their losses AND gains read out at our group - we don't have a choice! Well, unless they haven't stayed for IT, in which case C just moves on to the next person. Just remember though, you're not the only one who's being told they've lost/gained - when you're there at WI, nobody else cares about your numbers, they're only there for their own. I'm not being rude in saying that, am I? It is true though!
No you're not rude at all, it's a good point :)

I agree, if you have had a really bad week and eaten loads of stuff you shouldn't and not bothered counting syns or anything, then you expect it, so I don't think I would feel quite as bad - although if thats the case you still deserve recognition for turning up to group and staying as thats really not easy.
If you had a good week and gained its a bit of a shock anyway, and I always feel bad when they tell everyone you gained - It would be awful if you were really struggling and say you put on a couple of pounds, if she actually gave the amount of the gain to everyone, I would be embarressed.
Ay my current group we don't do image therapy as its usually done, just because there are too many of us.
She does the awards, which takes a while anyway, as there are usually a few and a lot of chats go on then, while people say how they feel now they have lost enough weight to get that award and then we talk generally and people still have the chance to discuss how they are doing.
I really like it this way I must admit, and it encourages me to stay more if I haven't done that well as I do get embaressed when all the focus is on me when I gained.

I think if you made a point of telling her not to tell everyone of your gain, or even to miss you out she would as I've heard people say you can do that. But to be honest I feel just as bad having to make a point of asking for that.

My C always says it in the same format - "X pounds lost (overall), a small...x lb gain this week, well done for your X pounds lost", so its kinda sandwiched in between two positives. I think thats quite a nice way to do it.

My C always says it in the same format - either "X pounds lost, but a small...x gain this week, well done for your X pounds lost", so its kinda sandwiched in between two positives. I think thats quite a nice way to do it.
I think that's fine. Maybe I'm just being over-sensitive as the gains were unexplained. I had no problem when I gained due to a holiday and knew full well why AND was happy to share my antics on that occasion:D

My consultant never says how much people have gained - it isn't mentioned unless the member says it herself. She just says "you went the other way a bit this week" and then asks if that was expected, or if the member is having problems, or if there is anything he or she wants to say. Then she will say "overall you have lost xxxx pounds, so well done!".

I had always thought that consultants shouldn't mention the exact amount of a gain, but I may be wrong.

We've just had this conversation tonight at my group. My C said that officially they are allowed (supposed?) to say how much you've gained, but she chooses not to because you feel bad enough after a gain, without having the amount announced to the group! She always says 'X, we've had a gain this week, are you alright with that?' and leaves it up to the individual if they want to elaborate.

So I guess it's at the Cs discretion, but they are allowed to say if they choose, though it does seem a bit insensitive!

Our C reads out the losses and gains for those present - sometimes mentioning someone who isn't present but has reached a new award or target etc, but she empathises with those who have gained and asks if they know why they have put on and if they are struggling to understand why, if they or anyone in the group can help! I think sometimes it would be nice if she skimmed over you if you've STS or gained but it provides the group and new members especially with realism! what works for one, might not work for another.

I asked a consultant I know and she has told me that their manual says that it is OK to give the amount gained with the agreement of the member concerned. The main thing is not to humiliate the member.

Okay, first thing... why are people so quick to say " I don't like her" "she's not nice" "change group"???? Does anything think to TALK to their consultant? Maybe ask them not to say how much they've gained? They are human beings and generally pretty approachable so why not have a word with them, or the WI lady? They're not going to read out your gain when you've asked them not to.

Same goes for Image Therapy. If you are confused, why not ask? It' also explained in the book.

Sorry for ranting and it's not personally directed at anyone but things like this are said quite often and NO-ONE ever talks to their consultant!!!

Okay, first thing... why are people so quick to say " I don't like her" "she's not nice" "change group"???? Does anything think to TALK to their consultant? Maybe ask them not to say how much they've gained? They are human beings and generally pretty approachable so why not have a word with them, or the WI lady? They're not going to read out your gain when you've asked them not to.

Same goes for Image Therapy. If you are confused, why not ask? It' also explained in the book.

Sorry for ranting and it's not personally directed at anyone but things like this are said quite often and NO-ONE ever talks to their consultant!!!
I think maybe you missed the part when it was said that she has been spoken to but believes if you take the applause for a loss you should take it the same way for a gain.

Back