Implanon

Toots

Gold Member
Slightly off topic

Has anyone had experience of the implant pill? Just can't seem to shift my weight but thinking back it piled back on a few months after having this fitted. In the 18months between coming off Depo inject pill and going on this I managed to maintain with some ease

Laura - what was your experience of this? I know that you said you started having periods again - I have too. Also they are painful but don't double me over as they do without the implan. Scared to come off it I guess, but getting quite down about nothing in wardrobe fitting and feeling like a heiffer the whole time

Thanks for reading - any advice would be most appreciated

xxx

Hey, I had the injection fir 12 months and never had a period at all then went and got pregnant the 1st month after stopping injection and after i gad the baby i got implant in and whacked on 3 stone in 4 months had the implant cut out of my arm as the fat congealed around the implant and im left with a huge scar on my arm And never managed to lose any if the weight until now but have had 2 more babies since then though :) xx

It's hard, everyone is different and some things just don't suit some of us... Blinking hormone's xxx

Hi,

After having my youngest 3 yrs ago I went straight onto the depo injection which I had for 2 yrs, then they swopped me onto the implant, up until last week I had not had a period for 3 years.. I am still on it now, doubled up with pain and really heavy, I'm hoping it's just a glitch and my body getting used to the new way it's being fuelled, cos I think I'd rather be fat then keep going through this x

I had the implant. I didn't notice any difference in my weight, but I wasn't dieting. The first few months were great. I didn't have a period at all. But then I bled every day for 13 months. It was horrid. It would range from spotting to quite a bit more (sorry TMI). I had it taken out and the bleeding slowed to 5 days every 2 weeks.

I then went onto the contraceptive patch and fell pregnant with my eldest!

After having my 2nd, I had the non hormone coil put in. I had on and off bleeding for the first few weeks, and cramps, but it all seems to have stopped now :)

Hey, I had the injection fir 12 months and never had a period at all then went and got pregnant the 1st month after stopping injection and after i gad the baby i got implant in and whacked on 3 stone in 4 months had the implant cut out of my arm as the fat congealed around the implant and im left with a huge scar on my arm And never managed to lose any if the weight until now but have had 2 more babies since then though :) xx

It's hard, everyone is different and some things just don't suit some of us... Blinking hormone's xxx

Blinking hormones indeed ;) You're doing really well now, though - stick with it, Hun

xx

ive never had the implant just started with depo injections last month makes me feel hungry :(

Depo made me hungry too but I found that I could control things on depo - implanon just ????? It never occured to me that that might be the prob until a customer told me that one of her friends had some problems with it and it was like a lightswitch going on in my head. I've been beating myself up and thinking that maybe it was my age........
xxx

Hi,

After having my youngest 3 yrs ago I went straight onto the depo injection which I had for 2 yrs, then they swopped me onto the implant, up until last week I had not had a period for 3 years.. I am still on it now, doubled up with pain and really heavy, I'm hoping it's just a glitch and my body getting used to the new way it's being fuelled, cos I think I'd rather be fat then keep going through this x

Hope your body readjusts soon, Hun.
I personally would rather be double up for 3/4 days a month than spend 100% of my time trapped in a body that makes me sad

Thanks for the replies

xxx

Oh my god! I thought it was just me! I gained a stone in a month when I had the implant fitted and never been able to shift even 1lb of it no matter what I did! I even took a pregnancy test. I am in the process of sorting out getting mine removed which seems to be quite difficult around here! ... concerned about the comment of the scar! wishing I had never had it fitted!!

Period wise I have had it in for 18 months and had 3 periods in that time all lasting 1month - 6 weeks! sometimes heavy sometimes just spotting every day.

Glad to see people sharing this kind of thing too as I was thinking I was using this as an excuse for my overeating!!! :confused:

Oh my god! I thought it was just me! I gained a stone in a month when I had the implant fitted and never been able to shift even 1lb of it no matter what I did! I even took a pregnancy test. I am in the process of sorting out getting mine removed which seems to be quite difficult around here! ... concerned about the comment of the scar! wishing I had never had it fitted!!

Period wise I have had it in for 18 months and had 3 periods in that time all lasting 1month - 6 weeks! sometimes heavy sometimes just spotting every day.

Glad to see people sharing this kind of thing too as I was thinking I was using this as an excuse for my overeating!!! :confused:

Don't worry about the scar - from what I've read most people don't and even if you do it's in a discreet place ;)

I was the same - I just thought it was my age - or too many attempts at VLCDs :eek:

Someone else pointed it out to me as I was having my usual whinge - am fat, can't lose etc. When I mentioned it to mum she said it could be as I am very good with what I eat (even though I don't think I am - so used to VLCDs that even a salad sometimes feels naughty) plus I am at the gym a lot - knowing my luck it is just my blimmin age :rolleyes:

Someone also posted this

Weight gain is due to an increase in appetite and easier fat deposition as a result of the increase in hormones.

Which leads me to believe that for some it will be down to eating more from increased hunger BUT it also says easier fat deposition. I read this as you could be eating the same but it's gonna stick to your ass with greater ease ;)

Anyhoo - gonna have a word with the Doc and take it from there

Wish me luck

xxx

I have just come off the injection for this very reason. Do a search on Google. Know they are different, but I think anything messing with hormones can affect appetite and weight.
Depo even after coming off, can make people struggle. It also completely diminished my sex drive and made me spotty! Been off it a month and sex drive is coming back and spots are reducing, but no sign of period and I really, really struggle to lose weight. Like you I put it down to age and too many VLCDs. Hope you get sorted.

I have just come off the injection for this very reason. Do a search on Google. Know they are different, but I think anything messing with hormones can affect appetite and weight.
Depo even after coming off, can make people struggle. It also completely diminished my sex drive and made me spotty! Been off it a month and sex drive is coming back and spots are reducing, but no sign of period and I really, really struggle to lose weight. Like you I put it down to age and too many VLCDs. Hope you get sorted.

Thanks, Hun. I am sad that anyone is having problems with these things but at the same time (selfishly) pleased that it's not just me!!!

Hope you get those scales moving with RC

After Depo it took me about 6 months for TOM to return - if that helps in any way. I know we're all different though

xxx

Sorry didn't mean to scare anyone when mentioning my scar :( I think mine is probably worse because the silly nurse rummaged around looking for my implant in my huge fatty inside arm for ages before getting any help from someone more experienced .... I'm sure having it out will be fine for everyone else :D

Hi All

I had the Implant and I didnt get on with it at all, lots or reasons really, headaches, sweaty and also couldnt lose weight so I had it removed 3 months after having it fitted.

I now have the coil and its ok, no probs so far x x

Just thought id mention something my doc said. I went and asked about gettign the implant. Had to come off of the injection because the headaches i got when on it were unreal. My doctor asked if i was still following a VLCD and when i said i was she said the best option would be the pill or the coil. Increased appetite being the main one but also that when on the injection or implant the hormone level means fat doesnt burn as quickly. Ie where u may be maintaining your weight before u might find that even if you dont change your diet you will put weight on. She reckoned it defeated the purpose of bein on a ketosis based diet if it was going to give an increased appetite and maybe affect weightloss.

I ended up not bothering and im kind of glad x

Sorry didn't mean to scare anyone when mentioning my scar :( I think mine is probably worse because the silly nurse rummaged around looking for my implant in my huge fatty inside arm for ages before getting any help from someone more experienced .... I'm sure having it out will be fine for everyone else :D

Hey, Hun - everyone's experience is valuable - forewarned is forearmed etc. Sorry you had such a sucky time with the removal

xx

Hi All

I had the Implant and I didnt get on with it at all, lots or reasons really, headaches, sweaty and also couldnt lose weight so I had it removed 3 months after having it fitted.

I now have the coil and its ok, no probs so far x x

I've been getting headaches - just put it down to my job? Oooh, hope it is the implanon as could do without them :)

xx

Just thought id mention something my doc said. I went and asked about gettign the implant. Had to come off of the injection because the headaches i got when on it were unreal. My doctor asked if i was still following a VLCD and when i said i was she said the best option would be the pill or the coil. Increased appetite being the main one but also that when on the injection or implant the hormone level means fat doesnt burn as quickly. Ie where u may be maintaining your weight before u might find that even if you dont change your diet you will put weight on. She reckoned it defeated the purpose of bein on a ketosis based diet if it was going to give an increased appetite and maybe affect weightloss.

I ended up not bothering and im kind of glad x

Thanks, Sweets - that really does help. I'm not cracking up ;)

Thank you everyone - I really appreciate you sharing your experiences with me. I know everyone is different and others get on with it, others don't. It's just good to hear other people's stories.

For me, the hormones have sent me a little doo-laly - deffo more emotional than usual. Which doesn't help when you've put weight on and don't know why. I think that the reason I have been even more emotional about it is that the last time I struggled so much with my weight I had lymphoma (normal symptom is weight loss - but I'm not normal ;)) - when you are being good and there is no explanation it kinda FREAKS you out

xxx

I had the implant. I didn't notice any difference in my weight, but I wasn't dieting. The first few months were great. I didn't have a period at all. But then I bled every day for 13 months. It was horrid. It would range from spotting to quite a bit more (sorry TMI). I had it taken out and the bleeding slowed to 5 days every 2 weeks.

I then went onto the contraceptive patch and fell pregnant with my eldest!

After having my 2nd, I had the non hormone coil put in. I had on and off bleeding for the first few weeks, and cramps, but it all seems to have stopped now :)

Sorry Mum2Two - must have cross posted.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Glad you seem to have found something that works for you

xx

Hey girls, just found this thread through google of all things, searching "exante contraception", don't know how I managed to miss it in the forum!

Anyway, have been on exante a couple of weeks now and after my first few days had a normal period, lasting 6 days with pains etc. This freaked me out as I've had my implant in for a year and a half now! But it seems others have said they've had periods on implanon too, so am less worried now!

Do we know whether it affects contraception at all?

Jen xx

Same here, I'm nearly at the end of my 3 years on Implanon, and all of a sudden 6 days in have started my first period in those 3 years. I went to the doctor about having it out and he said that it would be quite difficult to remove as a result of my weight (ie fat arms on top of the bar!) so I'm planning on getting it out when the weight drops a bit, then I think the rest of the weight loss will be much easier! Nut yeah, there is definitely a link between weight gain and implanon.

Oh, and I remember reading somewhere that the reason for the periods is because oestrogen is stored in fat, so as you burn fat the hormones are released into your body, thus destabilising the constant chemcal flow of the implanon and causing fluctuations in your menstrual cycle. Ta Dah!

I had the implant for 2 years, straight after having my 2nd baby. I didnt lose any of the babyweight & 2 years on still looked 9months pregnant and could not lose any weight. I also felt pregnant, had bad morning sickness, headaches, emotional, tired, wind, indigestion - the lot. I even thought I could feel a baby kicking!!! I looked up about it on the internet & found loads of people complaining of the same thing. It took months before I found anyone that would take it out. It didnt hurt though, & only left 2 small dots as a scar, so not really noticable. I felt instantly better after having it out, & would never go on it again. I didnt have any periods while on it, but werent doing a VLCD at the time. xxx

Back