In my skin!

Enough

Gold Member
So using the principle of 'old system, new system', this thread is for 'new system' only. This is where I'm going to grow into the me who maintains. This is where I'm going to feel whole and complete, fully integrated and fully able to be really me, in my skin, in a healthy and well adjusted way.
This is the me who thoroughly enjoys being active and fun, healthy eating, planned meals and living life to the full.
I'm going to consider horse riding, swimming, running, cycling, dancing. I'm going to enjoy my clothes and know that the wrong foods make me unhappy unhealthy and so don't interest me. Of course I've always known that, but now the thought is actually repellant and the habits and behaviour are aligned.
This maintenance thread is the bit that actually matters. This is where i build my new sense of self that i can maintain long term :)

I'm thinking it's all about the planning - pre-emptnig the emotional difficulties and planning for them - and pre-planning the meals with contingencies prepared too.
There must be hundreds of 'favourites' that we can choose from, meals-wise. If we develop a really healthy version and size controlled, then it can be fun, tasty, nutritious, and just not an issue. That's my ideal.

I've just had the most obvious and yet brilliant realisation! All those times that I used to struggle to stay away from eg the biscuit tin at work, was actually driven by insulin, not by "ME".. that fact that I don't feel like that at all when my blood sugar levels are on an even keel says it all.. it's nothing to do with an internal fight or my psychology, or self esteem, or anything else! It's purely biology driven behaviour! If my insulin levels are out of whack, then my behaviour is too.. it's really obvious when you can see it - if I regulate and plan my meals with low GI, high protein, low carb, then I just don't have any interest in tin-diving. It really is that simple! Now I need to plan - I need to think of today-me as a friend to tomorrow-me, and start helping her by planning and organising the best things for 'her' :) I can't expect the 'today-me' to know what 'm doing if I haven't been helped by the 'yesterday-me' :D This can work guys!!! xxxx

Today's session was all about how we'll manage maintenance once we're there - I've lost two stone since i started this a couple of months ago and it's whizzing by, but I'm still 6 stone off target so I have time to prep for maintenance - probably about 6 months I imagine - so October time I guess - but preparation starts now! I'm not sure how it'll work - with pcos a low GL diet would be a healthy permanent option. It probably makes sense to loo at a range of factors, like daily calories, seasonal eating, old favourites tweeked with healthy cooking. want to own the process this time.

Its good that your thinking about maintenance I too struggle with this! I need to stick with my meal planning and also I've decided to keep weighing myself otherwise I have no idea that the weight its creeping up until its too late. Although I know the scales isnt everything. Having a healthy diet and excersise is the main thing.

Your right that its not all psychologically, I've found that if you start the day eating more you end craving more. If you eat sweet things you end up craving it but if you ignore the craving it will pass and you forget about it.

Ah maintenance, I really have to get a handle on this.

Your right that its not all psychologically, I've found that if you start the day eating more you end craving more. If you eat sweet things you end up craving it but if you ignore the craving it will pass and you forget about it.

That's so true. I've found that if I'm going to have a big breakfast it has to be at the weekend, so late and more like a brunch. Otherwise I would totally eat three big meals. The same thing about ignoring cravings. Ignoring is easier said than done though!, I find the whole day quite tricky when the craving strikes, but then the next day is fine.

One thing I have found that helps is sticking to the same size lunchbox, and filling it with a variety of things including lots of vegetables. The calorie count then remains fairly constant. I reckon that when we're maintaining, even then we have to keep half an eye on the calories and the scales, otherwise the weight will creep up again. And a concerted actual weight loss effort after holidays... I'm trying to avoid bread too, because I could eat it everyday once I get started and it's virtually empty calories. Although freezing anything like that helps with intake.

Would love to hear more ideas about maintenance... :)

Planning, planning planning...

I think I'd like to have some lazy routines that I don't even have to think about - like low cal ready meals, or favourite cheap'n'cheerful tomato and veg based curries that take no effort and are a family favourite - then it wont be such a big deal?

Yeah everyone has lazy days! I sometimes have a microwave meal or something easy like beans on toast. Yesterday I had a mcdonalds so I was glad that ive stayed the same this week and havent gained.

My all-time favourite microwave meal is the Waitrose healthy Keralan Chicken Biryani - it's low cal, a portion of veg, and filling. Definitely helped me reach my target weight last year- having one meal ready calorie-counted really is helpful!

Back