Incensed by Lottery Advert!!

I'd really be interested to see the advert. People are judgemental enough as it is about fat people, we don't need their stereotypes to be encouraged by things like this, it's bloody ridiculous!

I've not seen the advert (living in France and not owning a TV) but I think it would annoy me as well. Like other people have mentionedm I too am always paranoid about eating in public. I hate anything which reinforces stereotypes. It's not right.

~Silence~

The look the man has on his face in the advert is a look i have whenever anybody sits next to me on the bus........... nothing to do with size or shape or anything else, just the fact that someone has decided to invade my space.......

I honestly dont think its anything to with space invasion. The description of the ad is:

Ad Story
A large woman sits down next to a young man on a bus, and starts to stuff her face with a burger and slurp from a drink container. He grips the rail in front of him and is transported to a seat on a rollercoaster, where he enjoys himself and the woman is terrified and spills her drink.

Only mention of her size and eating habits. Had it been a 'space' thing they could have had a 'normal' person sitting there

But the ad story isn't the advertising agency's description........ it's someone's take on it. Maybe if you contacted the advertising executives behind the commercial then they could tell you why they cast it the way they did...........

Last edited:
Presumably they cast it that way as it was the spec they got from their client. Im sure had the 'story' been about someone invading someones space theyd have had some annoying person on a phone or something. And if the guy on the bus was the girls partner, as previously suggested, Im sure theyd have shown some connection between them.

Whatever it is, we are all entitled to our opinion, its good it doesnt offend you in any way but it DOES offend me and other people which is why weve submitted a complaint about it :)

But the ad story is the advertising agency's description........ it's someone's take on it. Maybe if you contacted the advertising executives behind the commercial then they could tell you why they cast it the way they did...........

:confused::confused::confused:
Thats what ad agencies do...create a storyboard with a description of characters (stereotypical personalities and descriptions) to put accross a message!
It's not someones take on it....it's sending a clear message that " fat people are always eating no matter what (bus, rollecoaster etc) and no one wants to sit near them"
An ad-agency wouldn't create a storyboard to sell a pair of tights or sexy undies and have an 'overweight' person eating a burger seductively winking at the camera or walking down the street in a carefree manor!

I'm surprised that the ad didn't go one step further and when the scene changed to the rollercoaster, the 'fat' woman had transformed to a stereotypical 'slim but dim blonde' who was draped all over the guy because he now is a lottery winner!!!!!!!!!!!

...sorry flooding this thread but just had another thought...I always thought that ad-agencies were supposed to be 'new and creative' in their ideas...lts a sad fact they are paid £millions to do something 'unique'.....at this rate....we could all be earning 'shedloads' by putting forward these stupid, outdated, unoriginal, offensive, stereotypical ideas!!!
I would love for this thread to be brought to their attention...public feedback and all that!!!!

Yeah well.....youre giving them material for the next one.........its like the links ads.........when they explode into one gorgeous babe! haha
X

I know what you mean....this sums up the reason I 'flick' or make a cup of tea during the ads!!
X

....what is even more disturbing is that these ads are put on survey websites for feedback before they are used by the companies paying for them.
I earn points/cash for screening new products and adverts on Ipsos ( there are a few out there) and giving feedback.
I am now wondering if these companies listen to the feedback?

:confused::confused::confused:
Thats what ad agencies do...create a storyboard with a description of characters (stereotypical personalities and descriptions) to put accross a message!
It's not someones take on it....it's sending a clear message that " fat people are always eating no matter what (bus, rollecoaster etc) and no one wants to sit near them"
An ad-agency wouldn't create a storyboard to sell a pair of tights or sexy undies and have an 'overweight' person eating a burger seductively winking at the camera or walking down the street in a carefree manor!

ok, so Camelot sat down and said....... guess what we will do for our next ad campaign...... totally alienate a complete section of the community..... presumably the next advert will portray a gay man or woman and if they are coloured then thats a double whammy....... then the final advert in the series will be a complete street of straight white males with Stepford wives who have all won the lottery........ with the tag line "National Lottery - not for minorities"

Glorious Day, do you work for Camelot? You are very defensive of this subject.

I think it's great that you have never encountered the discrimination that most of us have, maybe you don't have so much to lose, but for those of us who HAVE been taunted and ridiculed by strangers simply because we are overweight this advert only suggests that it is ok to discriminate and that we ARE the outcasts

Glorious Day, do you work for Camelot? You are very defensive of this subject.

:D

I think it's great that you have never encountered the discrimination that most of us have, maybe you don't have so much to lose, but for those of us who HAVE been taunted and ridiculed by strangers simply because we are overweight this advert only suggests that it is ok to discriminate and that we ARE the outcasts

Agree there......the people making the ad are probably all twiglets and dont understand or they just think its completely hilarious.......The guys i work with always slag of fat BIRDS im my presence but they havent said anything to me......i am assuming its done in private.

Ads for any company are stereotypical as has been said.....i know my company always adds a women, someone of colour and someone of a certain religious belief into their adverts...................something about political correctness :D But we do have the right to complain if something offends us........................how else will anything be done about it.

Taz x

No, i don't work for Camelot......... I just don't find the add offensive..... it don't believe they deliberately set out to be discriminatory against anyone...... its just an advert. We don't know how the advert came about or why they cast it as such.

Just a side issue but has the portrayal of Heather Trott in EastEnders also caused anyone on here to complain? Or any other overweight character on TV male or female?

Back