Incensed by Lottery Advert!!

The issue on this ISNT the fact theres an overweight person in the advert its the fact shes in our opinion being ridiculed. Youre implying that there shouldnt be any overweight people on the TV

Had the Lottery advert portrayed the woman in a positive light thats different.

The issue on this ISNT the fact theres an overweight person in the advert its the fact shes in our opinion being ridiculed. Youre implying that there shouldnt be any overweight people on the TV

That's it exactly Starlight.

Just a side issue but has the portrayal of Heather Trott in EastEnders also caused anyone on here to complain? Or any other overweight character on TV male or female?
Heather Trott is a character and her size and relationship with food and the abuse she suffered for it has be put across in a realistic way and I think that there are a lot of people who can relate to that. There will be a storyline that ties the character in and deals with the issue in more depth

I think most people's issue is the negative portrayal of overweight people and the reinforcement of a negative and often incorrect stereotype.

What annoys me the most is that this guy is in theory majorly inconvenienced by someone eating, surely there are worse situations to be in! It's quite pathetic really.

~Silence~

I have no idea how my post in anyway implied there should be no overweight people on TV........ all i asked was if the portrayal of other overweight characters had made anyone complain.......

Why should they cause us to complain if theyre not being portrayed in a negative manner. As I said its the negativity in the lotto advert thats annoyed people NOT the fact there is an overweight character in it.

I think its good if there are overweight characters portrayed either positively or 'normally' after all overweight people are a part of every day life. I only have an issue when theyre an easy target to laugh at or the media reinforces the 'stereotypical' overweight person.

Clearly we'll have to agree to disagree here. Awful glad youre not offended by the advert :) and Ill look forward to seeing what response those of us who HAVE chosen to complain get :)

Why should they cause us to complain if theyre not being portrayed in a negative manner. As I said its the negativity in the lotto advert thats annoyed people NOT the fact there is an overweight character in it.

I think its good if there are overweight characters portrayed either positively or 'normally' after all overweight people are a part of every day life. I only have an issue when theyre an easy target to laugh at or the media reinforces the 'stereotypical' overweight person.

Clearly we'll have to agree to disagree here. Awful glad youre not offended by the advert :) and Ill look forward to seeing what response those of us who HAVE chosen to complain get :)

Here here hun!!! Wonderfully put as usual.

This advert portrays overweight people in a negative way FACT!! I don't believe the people at Camelot set out to offend people, its just fatism is accepted in this country and not viewed as a big deal.

I've struggled with my weight all my life. I live with a lovely slim guy who can eat what he likes and who eats double what I eat. He has never gone to the gym in his life, but me, I've had this constant fight. I take offence when an advert portrays overweight people as slobs with no self control and that is what that advert does. She has greasy hair and is eating junk food on a bus. I've never done that in my life, yet I still got fat. It is assumed by many slim people that fat people have no self control and are that way because they stuff their face. Icemoose once posted how eating a simple Special K bar a day over your daily allowance will result in stones being added to your weight. A lot of fat people are that way because of being mis-sold slimming foods!! I am now at goal. I did it by bloody hard work and I'm sure a lot of skinny people would not have the will power to go without food for weeks/months, but I did.

We have the right to be upset by this advert and let Camelot know that this type of advertising is offensive to some people....me for one.

phewww I feel better now.

Great debate guys... funny enough I don't feel put out by the add but do feel put out by how heather in eastenders is protrayed as the stupid fat woman who is ditzy and falls for most men around her who obviously don't fall for her back cos she is fat and ditzy!!! I have been really embarrassed watching eastenders with other people because of this.

I can see both sides of the ad debate though but I am really not put out by it.

Just watching TV and a certain advert came on and wanted to know if anyone found it offensive........ Its an old advert, its been shown on and off for the past year......... The advert is the Fosters one with the men running round pinching shadows to keep themselves cool........ one man finds 2 women, one skinnyish and one overweight...... and he pinches the overweight womans shadow... what are your thoughts on this?

Just watching TV and a certain advert came on and wanted to know if anyone found it offensive........ Its an old advert, its been shown on and off for the past year......... The advert is the Fosters one with the men running round pinching shadows to keep themselves cool........ one man finds 2 women, one skinnyish and one overweight...... and he pinches the overweight womans shadow... what are your thoughts on this?

Hi GD :)

Just a bloke doing a bloke thing:rolleyes:

(sorry guys on here:), no generalisation to you intended)

Lacey xx :)

Great debate guys... funny enough I don't feel put out by the add but do feel put out by how heather in eastenders is protrayed as the stupid fat woman who is ditzy and falls for most men around her who obviously don't fall for her back cos she is fat and ditzy!!! I have been really embarrassed watching eastenders with other people because of this.

I can see both sides of the ad debate though but I am really not put out by it.

Lol unfortunately her character is portraying me!!!! :):(

No not offensive....he wanted more shade!!

It doesn't portray overweight people as greedy out of control slobs, like the Camelot advert does!!!

Glorious Day, I think you have misunderstood what people are offended by. It is the portrayal of an overweight woman being, as Shaz said, a greedy out of control slob who repulses the man so much that nothing pleases him more than to see her unable to eat and unhappy.

there are many reasons why people are overweight and it's not just over-eating. Showing a larger woman in an ad is not an issue in itself, the way she is portrayed IS

OK ok ... can you all agree to disagree here? No one opinion here is the right one. Lets all chill ....

Back