increase in dental problems after vlcd anyone?

Discussion in 'Very Low Calorie Diets' started by Heaven can wait, 21 March 2008 Social URL.

1. Heaven can wait

Heaven can wait Silver Member

Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Diet:
    Lighter Life Total
    Hi
    This is just a quick question, as anyone else besides me found that they have had loads of dental problems after losing weight on a vlcd?
    I lost nearly 6 stones last year using a combination of LL and Cd and then a mixture of low calorie and vlcd for the last stone or so.
    My dental problems started when I had been on the diet about 3 months, first it was my bridgework that seemed to have shifted , my dentist was at a loss to understand it , but I knew myslef that the teeth had changed position and my gums seemed to have shrunk. Since then I have had literally hundreds of pounds of treatment. Crowns that keep detaching, filled teeth fracturing , and gum infections. The most recent episode was the mother of all infections on my lower left wisdom tooth , and then in the last few days the lower right wisdom toothe is now painful, so I suspect that has become infected also.
    Apart from losing weight nothing else has happened to warrant a big change in my dental health, care regime remains unchanged, but I have never had so much trouble with the old knashers, I suppose it could be my age , but its so dramatic the difference in a few months I am left pondering if it is a result of changing from a solid diet to just liquids. I read somewhere that when you chew it realeases saliva and that saliva contains enzymes that actually protect your teeth from decay, and as on vlcd we dont really chew much , and the liquid diet is very rich in nutrients and iis able to get into and stay in contact withall the nooks and cranies in your mouth for longer? I wondered if it could be this that has caused the problems?
    Anyhoo just thought Id run it past you guys.
    Even if it was the vlcd , I would rather be 6 stone light with a bit of a manky mouth thean be fat again LOL

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. silhouettes

silhouettes Silver Member

I have noticed that i get a much larger build up of plaque/tartar that takes an enourmous amount of time and effort to get rid of, i never had this problem before LL.

4. Catito

Catito Full Member

My teeth are far more sensitive than they were before LL. My dentist has noticed that I have had a lot of enamel erosion and the sensitivity is coming from that. I find it difficult to drink enough water so have been drinking the sparkling stuff, 4 lts a day, but this is whats causing the problem not the diet itself. I always thought it was the sugar that was bad but the co2 not good either.

5. Heaven can wait

Heaven can wait Silver Member

Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Diet:
    Lighter Life Total
    hmmm... thats interesting about the erosion, and the plaque build up , both are major causes of decay so I guess long term and untreated this could lead to problems down the line. Thanks for the replies , and good luck guys hope you dont get any problems like me. The ironic part is that when I was in ketosis I brushed and rinsed my mouh more than any time in my life, as I always had a taste in my mouth and was paranoid about keto breath. Unfair or what ? lol

6. summerscream

summerscream Full Member

Start Weight:
    103.3kg
    Current Weight:
    100.1kg
    Goal Weight:
    72kg
    Lost(%):
    3.2kg(3.07%)
    Hi,
    Yes, I also noticed it. Since a few days I got even pain from a tooth the dentist had to pull out half a year ago. Very strange feeling! :(

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.