Green Day Indian Rice

StaceyUK

Gold Member
This goes with the Chicken Curry recipe I posted. Courtesy of my neighbour!

Indian Rice

Serves 4

1.5 syns per serving on Green or EE

300g dry weight basmati rice
1 tbsp black mustard seeds
1 tbsp urid dahl (these little white lentils)
1 tbsp channa dahl (yellow split peas), soaked for an hour or so and patted dry
1 thin green chilli, cut into 5 pieces
small piece of fresh ginger, finely chopped (about the size of 1/2 your thumb)
handful of fresh curry leaves, washed and patted dry
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp hing (asafetida) (I spotted this made by Schwartz with the spices in Sainsburys but you can get cheaper from Indian shop)
juice of 1 lemon
handful of fresh cilantro, chopped

1) Cook the rice for about 10 minutes, drain and set aside to cool.

2) Heat 1tbsp oil in a non stick pan. When hot, add the mustard seeds and lentils. Stir constantly and saute for about 2-3 mins until mustard seeds stop popping and lentils are golden.

3) Add the chilli, ginger and the curry leaves and saute for another couple of minutes.

4) Add the hing and the turmeric and saute for a couple of minutes.

5) Stir in the rice. Add some salt to your liking. Add the lemon juice and fresh cilantro before serving.

It is sooo good! I hope I got the quantities right as it was a pinch here and a pinch there.

PS - Indians tend to leave all their spices in the dish and then just push them to one side on the plate. You're not supposed to eat the chilli or the curry leaves (unless you want to, I suppose!) so I remove them before adding the lemon juice and cilantro.

Last edited:
I love the mushroom rive you can get when you go to an Indian restaurant, so I've started to make the curry, but with the rice I cheat & use mushroom savoury rice!!

I made this rice at the weekend, as per the recipe... it's not hard at all (looks more complicated than it is)... and it is to die for!!!! Great suggestion, thanks! I made this (with your curry recipe) for a couple guy friends as we were going out to a gig later. One of them even asked me for the recipe!! :D

I made this rice at the weekend, as per the recipe... it's not hard at all (looks more complicated than it is)... and it is to die for!!!! Great suggestion, thanks! I made this (with your curry recipe) for a couple guy friends as we were going out to a gig later. One of them even asked me for the recipe!! :D

Wow!! Thanks for the feedback! I love hearing how it turns out when people make my recipe suggestions!

Did you curry turn out nice? The rice is definitely not a faff to make at all - dead easy but the curry definitely is a bit of a faff!

The curry was a massive hit too... I got rave compliments. I had the leftovers for my lunch yesterday too, and it was even better!!

I have to make this curry once a week - at least until it's out of my system. I had it last Thurs and I can't wait for this Thurs or Fri when I make it again! I just think it's soooo yummy! My only complaint is how long it takes over the stuff but the end result is worth it.

The rice is good just eaten on its own too or I had it with some homemade lebanese style lentil soup on top of it and that was yummy too.

Back