Interesting article on loose skin

SammyE

Silver Member
The Myth of Loose Skin

Worth a read, what do people think about it?

Im considering getting a personal trainer once I get to goal weight, Im sure its possible to turn fat into muscle and not actually gain weight? Because the extra exercise will help you lose extra fat anyway?

wow that makes real sense!! *runs off to do sit ups*

It was interesting to read until the part when he says that it's mote explained in detail in his "The Body Fat Guide"...

But, as soon as I have an ebook copy I will post here ;-)

lol triple whopper...great minds think alike...i had a look for the ebook last night but nada x

I remember reading that link a couple of years ago because I was worried about having loose skin after losing weight.

Im sure its possible to turn fat into muscle

Turning fat into muscle is just a myth, but I did used to believe it a few years ago. Then when I met a friend online, who lived in Canada who was training to be a personal trainer and he would give me tips on interval training and how to lose weight, I found out the truth. I remember mentioning turning fat into muscle to him and he just laughed and told me it was untrue so I researched it further and found out he was totally right. So the answer is no unfortunately, turning fat into muscle is impossible - they're two totally different things... just like you cannot turn wood into metal for example. There are plenty of sites explaining it further if you Google it.

Now had you said "lose fat and gain muscle" my answer would have been yes :D

thats not the way i interpreted the link....he doesnt mean turn fat into muscle...he means replace fat with muscle.

thats not the way i interpreted the link....he doesnt mean turn fat into muscle...he means replace fat with muscle.

I was quoting what SammyE said, not the link.

I didn't read the link lastnight, but have read it before about 2 years ago so cannot remember what it said so I am unable to comment on it.

Yeah thats what I meant, I know fat cant be turned into muscle, I meant lose fat and replace it with muscle without gaining weight, as although muscle is heavier then fat, if Im losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time, would it even itself out weight wise?

Oh sorry SammyE, please ignore my post up there then :eek:.

I meant lose fat and replace it with muscle without gaining weight, as although muscle is heavier then fat, if Im losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time, would it even itself out weight wise?

Good question/s, I too would like to know if this is possible and if it would all even out

Actually coming to think of it I am sure I once read that fat takes up more space than muscle, even though it weighs less. If it definitely does take up more room then in my mind I could see the above being possible or even just a small gain from the muscle. Hopefully someone with knowledge in this area could let us know.

it says on that article that fat takes up more space than muscle so even if you weighed more and had more muscle..you would still look slender

This compares the sizes :)

1-Pound-of-Muscle-Vs-Fat_b44099c2f10f261abd857ebea54d2c46.jpg

thats a shocking difference!!! i will defo be looking out my weights and doing sit ups etc

Will read article whn I have more time but definetly I'm living proof muscle takes up less space! Before I joined the exante wagon I was just maintaining quite easily but training (I work in a gym) had so many comments even from members about how I'd lost weight but infact scales were not budging I was just losing inches! This is where I need to remind myself not to get so hung up on what scales say x

25/08/08- 18 st 5 lb 17/10/11- 12 st 13

Sorry but I refuse to believe my skin could EVER be taut and firm against my body no matter how much weight training I did (although I do firmly believe in resistance exercises for toning and creating nice contours).
After three decades of being hugely stretched, the skin on my stomach will never shrink back to the way it was in my teens. For the muscle to replace fat enough to fill my stretched skin, I'd have to pump iron until I looked like Arnie in his hey day. Not happening.

I think a certain amount of shrinkage may happen but could take time after rapid weight loss so I'd probably say that whatever hadn't shrunk back a year after having lost lots of weight (even after exercising) isn't going to.

This is just my opinion of course, but gained through years of observation and experience (I lost 10st in 2006 and the skin that was hanging was just that - skin - not pockets of fat).

An interesting article all the same and I'm open to being convinced by anyone in their late 40s who has lost a large amount of weight (after decades of being obese) and who has done weigh training sufficient to shrink the skin back and consequently has NO sagging.

Russiandoll said:
Sorry but I refuse to believe my skin could EVER be taut and firm against my body no matter how much weight training I did (although I do firmly believe in resistance exercises for toning and creating nice contours).
After three decades of being hugely stretched, the skin on my stomach will never shrink back to the way it was in my teens. For the muscle to replace fat enough to fill my stretched skin, I'd have to pump iron until I looked like Arnie in his hey day. Not happening.

I think a certain amount of shrinkage may happen but could take time after rapid weight loss so I'd probably say that whatever hadn't shrunk back a year after having lost lots of weight (even after exercising) isn't going to.

This is just my opinion of course, but gained through years of observation and experience (I lost 10st in 2006 and the skin that was hanging was just that - skin - not pockets of fat).

An interesting article all the same and I'm open to being convinced by anyone in their late 40s who has lost a large amount of weight (after decades of being obese) and who has done weigh training sufficient to shrink the skin back and consequently has NO sagging.

Very true!

Skin removal operation is something every person who is overweight for a long period of time cannot avoid.

But hey, I would rather go under the knife than be left with it hanging.

I still need to lose around 11st more.

Very true!

Skin removal operation is something every person who is overweight for a long period of time cannot avoid.

But hey, I would rather go under the knife than be left with it hanging.

I still need to lose around 11st more.

I know I'll have excess skin after losing weight but, as I'm unlikely to ever be able to afford a tummy tuck, I'll just have to live with it. However, the prospect of that is preferable to being morbidly obese and I'll look better in clothes (nobody will be able to see the skin under some nice new threads! :) )

Can I just congratulate you on your awesome achievement so far ... keep up the fantastic work and you'll see all your dreams fulfilled :)

Back