Irish Molly's 2011 Diary

Nothing eventful to report folks. I have a STS week again. So i am well pleased with that. As long as I can manage that that's good.
Maybe getting too fond of those carman bars!! I justify them on the basis that they are good GL choices but still, too many is not good.
Have a good weekend all.

Well done on your STS! That must bring such a feeling of satisfaction with it. :)

I keep meaning to look for the Carman bars but not sure I wouldn't scoff them all!

Yep the Carman bars can be moreish but they are a low Gi treat. The Nakd bars are fab as they are just raw fruit,oats, nuts mashed together. Gi should have as much unprocessed food as possible. So the Nakd bars are a great option for a sweet treat. The big 68g bars are substantial enough for a light lunch. I always keep one in my bag.

Last edited:
Clarri, the Carman bars can be hard to find. Supervalu are the only place I find them. On the shelf with the health foods.

Just wondering if you have tried the Food Doctor bars? I've been looking at them on his website and they look yummy. I assume they're low GI just because that is what his diet books all promote!

They taste fine. They are very small and They are a bit pricey. I like the Nakd bars as they are less processed with no added sugars. I also find them more filling.

Ahh I hadn't looked closely enough at the Food Doctor bars, can't believe they've got added sugars in them! I do like the Nakd bars so think I will stock up on some for emergencies. :)

Well done on another sts Molly :)

Hope you've had a great weekend xx

Some of them are fine. Just check the ingredients list. Avoid anything with sugars added. You'll know this as ingredient will end in "ose" e.g fructose, dextrose, etc

Morning all. My menus this week will be off this list:

B: 500mls water + coffee with one of:
>50 g porridge oats
>Poached egg on two slices of burgen soy and linseed bread.
>40g granola
>148 g Mixed berries with seeds and 100 ml yoghurt

L: 500 mls water, coffee with one of:
>68 g tuna , large salad of leaves, tomato, pepper, scallion on two rye crackers seasoned with black pepper and balsamic
>50 g hummous with large salad of leaves, tomato, pepper, scallion on two rye crackers seasoned with black pepper and balsamic
>68g Nakd bar
> any type of chicken salad wrap

D: one of these recipes in recipe thread)
>spicy mixed bean dish
>Veg stir-fry with quorn
>Quinoa,prawn and veg stir-fry
>100g Turkey and veg with 30 g couscous
> Lentil curry with mixed veg on the side
> chicken and haricot bean stew
Pudding: 100 mls any easiyo yoghurt with:
>125g blueberries
>Apple
>Pear
>Two plums
>Two kiwi
> 140g frozen mixed berries

Snacks: any two of the following
>two plums with 15 g mixed seeds
>Chopped apple
>2 Oatcakes with peanut butter or cherry toms and cream cheese
>Up to 4 nairns sweet biscuits
>carman fruit muesli bar

Mm that's made me hungry! What a great way to plan your meals too; you can make sure you have everything you need without being tied into 'now it is 4pm on Tuesday so I must eat item 4 on today's menu'. Which I don't mind most of the time but do occasionally get fed up with!

Yep, I prefer to have a rough plan for the week. That way I can pick and choose as I feel like. I also make sure I have a portion of bean stew or lentil curry or quinoa cooked and in the fridge. All three will easily keep for three to four days. This avoids the temptation, when home late or just tired, to eat take out or processed foods when I have a tasty readymade meal in the fridge.

That reminds me, I keep meaning to make up a batch of quinoa to freeze in portions. Really handy to grab and reheat quickly when needed (and unlike the shelf-stable packets you buy in the supermarket, no added oil or anything). Excellent to have things on standby as you describe!

Looking great and really tasty Molly :) xx

I have just read through your diary IM, you really are a good role model for low GI living and how well it suits our bodies. Your attitude that it isn't a diet and that eating well is for life is spot on!

Well done on your fabulous weight loss. x x

Thank you for your very kind words. I really believe in GL as a fantastically healthy way to live. In addition, not feeling your on a diet is a bonus. We can only stick with something if it feels free and unconstrained.

Hi Molly,
I was thinking about something the other day. I want to be exactly where you are, eating a healthy low GI diet, not as a diet, but because I know it is ideal for my body and makes me feel great, and just happen to maintain a healthy weight as a nice by product. Now what I was wondering was do you think doing the TFR helped you achieve it. I was thinking maybe taking a total break from food for a while and hence reducing cravings and having a break from my erratic relationship with food might help. I'm just having a wee think for next year, at the minute I'm still eating mostly low GI but too many treats. Thanks!

I had to have a think about this one. When I started TFR I did not know about GL at all. I had done WW, calorie counting, Atkins etc. I could never stick with any of them long enough.
Certainly a stint on TFR will break some of your bad food habits. The palate is cleansed etc. It takes three weeks to break or form a habit, apparently! Old habits can and will return if we don't consciously work to avoid it happening.
Did it make GL easier for me? Only in so far as my body had detoxed from sugar in all its forms. This meant week one was a little easier. On GL I lost almost as much each week as I did on TFR. I stress that I'm not very active either! I could have had better losses too but I was happy to go easy.
Had I known about GL I would definitely have gone that route fron the start rather than TFR. Why? Because it's so healthy, so uncomplicated and personally suited me and my lifestyle.
When the time comes you will know what you can handle best. You will have a lot on your hands so the calorie intake of tfr may be too low for you. You have been doing well making healthy GL friendly food choices. Snacking can be a bit of a demon for us all. As you are pregnant, perhaps increase your main meals a little. Baby may just be looking for a little more grub! Or are your snacks too sugar rich?
Don't know if any of this helps!

Back