Is anyone intermitting fasting following 5:2 whilst on slimming world?

ibizasunshine

Is anyone intermitting fasting following 5:2 whilst on slimming world? I know it sounds crazy but someone in my group suggested it to help speed up my weight loss??
Has anyone else tried it?? Has it helped with weight loss??

Look forward to hearing your experiences...:)

Hello!

I did 5:2 a couple of months ago, just before starting Slimming World. I found that on 5:2 my weight loss was around the same as on Slimming World (about 2lbs a week). However, I think 5:2 and Slimming World contradict each other as 5:2 requires a 1,500 calorie deficit 2 days a week with around 2,000 calories being consumed on the other 5 days; whereas the purpose of Slimming World is to move away from the rigours of calorie counting and onto a healthier lifestyle. Personally, I'd find it confusing to follow both plans at once as I found that 5:2 requires a lot of willpower but Slimming World allows a lot more freedom :confused:

I managed 5:2 for about 3 weeks before the fasting days got too much for me. I found they were too restrictive, I was hungry all day so was in a bad mood, I lost all my energy and getting up for work the day after a fasting day was horrible :( However, that's not to say that it couldn't be used alongside Slimming World, although as I said above, calorie counting isn't what Slimming World is about and there is the danger that if the fasting days got too much and you stopped doing them, weight loss could slow or reverse temporarily while your body adjusted to the change in diet.

I can only speak from my own experiences but I did find that 5:2 just wasn't sustainable for me in the long-term. However, everyone's different so best of luck with whatever you decide :)

there was a leaflet in the Sunday People yesterday and they called it the bikini diet - first time I had heard of it and something I know I wouldn't be able to do, love my food far too much to miss a whole day never mind 2 LOL.

I tried doing a fasting day Tuesday and by 5pm was in such a bad mood because I was sooooo hungry.
Hubby is doing 5:2 and on eating days he eats loads and he's loosing weight

Sw is the way to go for me - I like + need my food too much lol x

This question has been asked a lot on this forum. If you look in the search bar you will get a lot of information from previous postings and answers.

Hope that helps :)

I really don't like the 5:2 I felt so
Ill on the fast days. Fad diets are just not for me. I like eating too much lol

I tried the 5:2 - on my first (and only) fast day I was so hungry by 4pm at work I went and bought a Snickers and a packet of crisps!!!!

Like others, I felt really ill on my first day of the 5:2 and by 4pm I was so tired and wanted to eat everything in sight! I tried it again and exactly the same happened lol.

I personally think that if you are doing slimming world then why do you need to do anything else? Sw works, is healthy and you will see results if you stick at it. Doing the 5:2 as well may not necessarily give you good results but of course you never know.

If you want to do the 5:2 as well as sw, then that's perfectly acceptable if you feel that you can handle it. Don't feel like you have to do both of the diets tho, sw will work without the 5:2.

I started SW in August, and started fasting in November,
I followSW on my eating days, and don't eat at all on fasting days, and I use my syns weekly
Yes, it does speed weight loss, but the health benefits of fasting were really important to me
So, in all I've lost just over 3 1/2 stone, getting to target last month

The reason I love Slimming World is because you can eat so much!

Why would I then want to fast? Not for me i'm afraid!

Yes, I'm doing both and like Debridger I don't eat anything at all on my fast days. This is only my second week, so today I am on my 4th ever fast day and I'm coping fine. I guess it is too early to tell whether it is doing me any good. I certainly don't feel any ill-effects, I still have loads of energy and in my first week I lost 4.5lbs. WI is on Monday so I will let you know how much I've lost on week two....

The reason I love Slimming World is because you can eat so much!

Why would I then want to fast? Not for me i'm afraid!

Completely understand that, I was quite happy with 1-2lb a week loss on SW
I felt the same as you, but, once I looked into the health benefits, I thought I'd give it a go
If it was purely to speed up weight loss, I really wouldn't have tried it
I wanted to continue with SW as its a nutritionally balanced, good food way of eating

Just to clarify....5:2 diet is not all about losing weight.

Fasting has shown to have many other health benefits and weight loss is just a side effect. Most people following the 5:2 whilst eating their 'normal' diet, generally lose 1lb per week but I guess if you are following a diet plan on the days that you eat, then you can possibly accelerate losses.

Personally, I don't see a problem with following SW (or any other diet plan for that matter!) and and having the added health benefits of fasting

Me too!

I think I'm the only person I know to have tried 5:2 and put on weight in my first week! Needless to say I didn't continue... SW it is for me, it's proven to work, patience is the key :)

Hi everyone, I'm new here! :)

I tried 5:2 last week, I managed the first fast day pretty easily and was very proud with myself, however the second wasn't as easy! I caved in by 1pm as I had a terrible migraine (I often get them when I don't eat anything/enough). So I decided I would try slimming world, I'm going it alone as I'm saving up to buy our own house (living with the in laws) and every little helps! I managed to lose 12lbs in 5 weeks on ww before I went on holiday but just lost interest. In 2 1/2 months I have gained back 5.5lbs which I'm ok with as it could be a hell of a lot worse!

I hope to meet new people to help inspire and motivate me whilst on this forum as I need to keep my head in the game!

Hi Pebbles!

I'm going it alone too. Have been to many meetings before but I really can't afford to go any more. I find eating healthier is more costly as it is. Now all I need is the drive and determination I had when I first joined SW and lost 4.5 stone :)

Hope you're doing well :D

x

Hi Pebbles!

I'm going it alone too. Have been to many meetings before but I really can't afford to go any more. I find eating healthier is more costly as it is. Now all I need is the drive and determination I had when I first joined SW and lost 4.5 stone :)

Hope you're doing well :D

x

Wow that is amazing! What plan do you follow? Or do you do a mixture?
I'm following EE as I feel it's the best one for me - although I haven't attempted red or green!

I agree on the cost! It's an absolute joke! They are constantly moaning about out country being obese.. I wonder why! Junk food is 5 times cheaper than the healthy stuff! Makes you laugh doesn't it!

How are you getting on so far? Do you have a food diary? X

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com mobile app

Back