is cd unrealistic for long term weight loss?

Speaking as a chronic yo-yo dieter, I think people tend to put weight back on after any type of successful diet because they imagine that they can relax and return to their "normal" life. Successful maintainers realise that they have to make permanent changes and lots of them still attend meetings like Weight Watchers which allow you to come for free as long as you stay within 5lbs of your goal weight.
I agree with earlier posters who say that maintenance is the most difficult part of the process.

Speaking as a chronic yo-yo dieter, I think people tend to put weight back on after any type of successful diet because they imagine that they can relax and return to their "normal" life. Successful maintainers realise that they have to make permanent changes and lots of them still attend meetings like Weight Watchers which allow you to come for free as long as you stay within 5lbs of your goal weight.
I agree with earlier posters who say that maintenance is the most difficult part of the process.

Yep...me again :D

True though. The diet isn't to get to goal. The diet is to get to the starting point.

And to add, there's another bit of research that said those few who maintained their weight tended to make staying slim their life times work...often by becoming consultants for their diet....etc

Though I don't use the packs at all, and also waited 3 years after goal before deciding to become a CDC, my main hobby, after music is researching diets and maintenance including all scientific evidence for what works, and moderating on dieting forums :D

Yes Lippy I agree with you, i did relax i think when I thought I've done it, got to my goal weight and relaxed (maybe a little too much), not in takeaways, alcohol etc but increasing my food intake without properly going up the steps.

KD its fascinating when you look into the diet and how everything works and how complex our bodies are and the bottom line is if we put too much of the wrong food or portion sizes in and dont burn it off, we put on weight. Thank you for motivating me again, i think i will try to stick with this. :)

the bottom line is if we put too much of the wrong food or portion sizes in and dont burn it off, we put on weight.

Yes, but when you are at goal, it isn't much easier to follow that than it was when we are overweight.

We can swing for a while on the great feeling of being slimmer, but you know...the temptations are all around...and after all, we've worked hard to lose the weight...why shouldn't we 'treat' ourselves.

Of course, we can, but everything must balance and that can be difficult at times.

I have a rule. If I eat too much, I put on weight. If I want to believe that my metabolism has slowed down, or I don't want to exercise, or I feel ill, then I must eat less, because I don't need so much.

If I don't want to eat less for those reasons, then I need to work on my head.

I was shocked about the blood test research though. Will always be a fat person in a slim body.:eek:

I agree with everything KD said, but then again I always do ;):D

Fat person in thin body!

This theory will feature in a forthcoming documentary on one of the digital channels soon. It's entitled something like "Why aren't thin people fat"? and its based on a theory that some of us were born to be fat!!

What an awful thought. :eek:

But, if you follow that premise then shouldn't there be some thin people who are meant to be fat?! Cheryl Cole maybe or Victoria Beckham ........... chubby-chicks just waiting to cut loose. :D

:worthy: I am in awe as ever KD (gawd I sound like a creep)

LOL

Queen_Has_Spoken.gif

Just hurry up and post the secret of eating 6 creme eggs in one sitting as part of a healthy balanced diet...;)

Now, why would you want 6 creme eggs? ;)

Did you know that the most flavour comes from the first 2 bites. Yep...been proved by sensory scientists :cool: :D

At the beginning you really notice the taste, but it’s flavour diminishes after those first two bites.

If you aren’t hungry, then everything after 2 bites is just ‘feeding’. The brain concentrates on the texture and flavour to make sure it's edible. Once it's decided that it's safe food, it sort of switches off the intensity as it's not needed any more.

Another bit of research :D

This theory will feature in a forthcoming documentary on one of the digital channels soon. It's entitled something like "Why aren't thin people fat"? and its based on a theory that some of us were born to be fat!!

What an awful thought. :eek:

Yep, but very possibly true. The majority of people are overweight because they eat too much. There are some people who have the fat gene. It accounts for an excess weight of 7lbs or something.

What a stupid fat gene. Can't even do that properly and make a big impact :D

What an interesting thread. I think when we have worked so hard to get the weight off, it seems mad to allow ourselves to put it back on, but as one who has also yo-yo'd I know maintenance is going to be the hardest part.

I think there are very few people who can eat what they want when they want it - unless, of course, you are one of the very few folks who just loves cottage cheese salad and would choose it over anything, every time.:8855:

fat gene

KD do you think the fat gene is mutating?

Without doubt society is becoming fatter - is this purely down to more easily accessible food and less exercise or is the gene also to blame?

Has there always been a fat gene waiting in the wings? Or has it developed as our lifestyles changed.

I noted recently another report which stated that a child's weight up until the age of 5 is likely to dictate their weight for the rest of their lives. Nature or nuture - or maybe both.

Now, why would you want 6 creme eggs? ;)

Did you know that the most flavour comes from the first 2 bites. Yep...been proved by sensory scientists :cool: :D

At the beginning you really notice the taste, but it’s flavour diminishes after those first two bites.

If you aren’t hungry, then everything after 2 bites is just ‘feeding’. The brain concentrates on the texture and flavour to make sure it's edible. Once it's decided that it's safe food, it sort of switches off the intensity as it's not needed any more.

Another bit of research :D

A creme egg is only two bites anyway and then the whole thing is gone...I think me and them were meant to be :D

Interesting bit of research though and definitely explains why you stop tasting things mid-binge.

KD do you think the fat gene is mutating?

Without doubt society is becoming fatter - is this purely down to more easily accessible food and less exercise or is the gene also to blame?

I think it's mainly to do with activity levels going down.

When I think of what my mother did. No supermarkets. Walk to the shops every day and carry back carrier bags full. Polishing the floors as no wall to wall carpeting. Using the mangle to get all the water out of the sheets etc etc.

She must have burned hundreds of calories every single day. Not just when she felt like it...but always, through sickness and health.

Same with me when I was younger. No cars...walk 40 minutes to school and back again. Always walked to work. No TV in the day, no computer let alone games.

We sat down to watch certain programmes...not anything that was on.

For leisure...we went outside to play. On the streets, down the field.

Thing was...it was all the time. There was no choice in the matter. We didn't mind because that was life then.

Now we tend to exercise when we are on a roll.

Very interesting thread, and as usual very informative posts KD! I was surprised to read about the blood tests though!

As has been said before, its all about choices once the diet is "over". It goes without saying that if we go back to the way we used to eat with regard to choices and portion sizes, then we will go back to the way we used to look and the weight we once were.

Yep, but as we all know, doing what we've always done comes naturally to us. It takes work to change, and it's constant. It's not something that we'll just get working on it for a month. It takes time.

There's also other things that come into play. Telling a former fat person to change habits, eat less and exercise more can be likened to telling depressed person to cheer up.

But of course, if that depressed person can find her way through the mire...and make herself happy, then it's got to be worth the effort to her

Same with maintenance. If you can find the way, the rewards are magnificent :)

From watching that Claire Sweeney programme the other week, i would say she is a fat person inside a thin body...she embraced the whole eating what she wanted lark for the 6 weeks and gained weight magnificently!

i would say she is a fat person inside a thin body...

Going out on a limb here... but aren't we all? I don't buy the naturally thin idea - slim people are slim because they exercise restraint - I see this as the key difference, I always knew I was over eating but I chose to do so, I chose not to do things in moderation.

xxx

Back