is it bad to offer big clothes to bigger friends?

cambridge*diet*08

Silver Member
i HATE getting rid of stuff.... but i have a big bag of clothes which are too big for me now.

i have a friend who is currently struggling on ww and is the size i was when i began CD.

is it really insensitive to offer my jeans and tops to her? i dont want to be seen as rubbing salt into wounds but at the same time i hate just giving stuff away, especially stuff i do like...

oh good, thanks t4m.
i shall text her now!
x

I got a bag of clothes from my friend yesterday. She lost 7 stone last year so knows exactly what I'm going through and how expensive it can be this shrinking thing! I was so chuffed I could have kissed her!

You have to be careful how you put it to her. At a time when I wasn't doing too well a friend who is a few sizes bigger than me (and keeps thinking she has got smaller without trying when she hasn't!) offered me some of her clothes saying they were too big for her now, implying I was the size she used to be. I was polite but I could have hit her!

The best way to do it is to say you are making space in your wardrobe and have loads of nice clothes that you never wear anymore in her size and would she like to have them?

I wouldn't have been offended. My SIL and I used to do this all the time. But if you think she might be a bit sensitive I'd approach her cautiously. Maybe tell her you're taking stuff to the charity shop but she can have a look and see if there's anything she would like first.

I have done this with the daughter of my best friend. i did it saying that " They may well be too big for you or not your style, but i was wondering if you would like to have some of these clothes, if not feel free to give them to a charity shop"
She loved the clothes and was really thankful that i thought of her.

when I lost loads of weight on LT before, it was so obvious that my larger friend was larger than me now, that I just offered her the chance of a ferret through before they went to charity. She was really chuffed. I should have kept them.......I gained it back when a crisis hit and had to buy all new again. This time they are going in the loft (well the less datable stuff!)

Back