Is it healthy to be obsessed?

Steve Jobs was an asshole. Michael Jackson lived in a fantasy world. Nikola Tesla was crazy. No one is perfect sadly, I don't see a problem with being obsessed about trying to lose weight as long as you can realize that there's a time to stop and just maintain.

Here are the things I've had to deal with being fat, these are the reasons I'm finally obsessed with losing weight.

In some newer cars I can't get the seat belt in the back seat around me.
I dread having to get on a coach because I need to shuffle to and from my seat sideways because I'm so wide.
Can't travel on a plane, seats are too small.
Need to pay for Premier seats at the Odeon, I tell people it's for comfort but it's because I can't fit in the normal seats. Had an embarrassing time once when I tried normal seats while on a date with a girl, I was too big and had to get up and get us changed to bigger seats, the place was packed too.
Can't go clothes shopping in person, can never find clothes big enough to fit me unless it's underwear or shoes, and even then my feet are very wide.
Can't sit in a booth in a restaurant because I always get wedged in between the seat and the table edge
Can't enjoy myself out in public because I feel like people are watching me
Can't do cartwheels anymore!

If it takes being obsessed to get rid of these stigmas in my life then colour me obsessed, I'm sure there are many on here just like myself who have their own reasons.

I can see why people would get in to a state where they would continue to try to lose even at a healthy weight, fashion magazines don't help, constantly airbrushing and reshaping women then throwing them up on posters and on magazine covers on a daily basis, it's no wonder so many people have a poor body image even when some (read: a lot) are perfectly healthy do not need to change their weight at all. I'm not saying that's necessarily what your experience was but a poor body image is what causes actions like these in the majority of cases. It can be difficult to get over and everyone has to sort of cross that bridge when they come to it, just like when we all decided we wanted to lose weight, it was our own decision and we had to want to do it.

Steve Jobs was an asshole. Michael Jackson lived in a fantasy world. Nikola Tesla was crazy. No one is perfect sadly, I don't see a problem with being obsessed about trying to lose weight as long as you can realize that there's a time to stop and just maintain.

Here are the things I've had to deal with being fat, these are the reasons I'm finally obsessed with losing weight.

I agree entirely. When you have reached the stage that you cant fit in the booths etc, worrying about the possibility that you might not be able to stop losing weight once you have reached your ideal amount, well, it seems just sooo far away.

But on the other hand Lea C lost seven stone to get to her healthy weight means that she knew what it means to be pretty fat maybe not as big as yourself or me at the start, but she would have experienced some of the things above.

I am the kind of person who can obsess over something, but I also have no problem with 'moving on'...

Well Gazter that's all that matters then, as long as you can see yourself moving on then I don't think you have a need to worry about being obsessed now. If it was a choice between being obsessed or watching your weight go up all the time, it's an easy choice to make.

I can definitely relate to this post, I often question if i'm a little obsessive over SW. To be truthful, with me it's the little things like - after following SW for 2 and a half years now, in our house we make all of our meals from scratch, using lot's of fresh veggies, extra lean meats, etc which is the main reason why I love SW as it has learnt me how to cook from scratch and to prepare food the healthiest way. The only negative is that I can no longer tolerate any jar/tinned/packet sauces (and anything too oily can make me quite ill) and for this reason, I really dislike other people cooking for me. Reading this back, I personally don't think that's obsessive behaviour, I think more than anything i'm just very picky! lol xxx

I can definitely relate to this post, I often question if i'm a little obsessive over SW. To be truthful, with me it's the little things like - after following SW for 2 and a half years now, in our house we make all of our meals from scratch, using lot's of fresh veggies, extra lean meats, etc which is the main reason why I love SW as it has learnt me how to cook from scratch and to prepare food the healthiest way. The only negative is that I can no longer tolerate any jar/tinned/packet sauces (and anything too oily can make me quite ill) and for this reason, I really dislike other people cooking for me. Reading this back, I personally don't think that's obsessive behaviour, I think more than anything i'm just very picky! lol xxx

Its an important life skill. SW forces us to appreciate just how modern pre prepared foods and fast foods are made. Some of the syn values are just shocking.

It is worrying that some people just do not cook their own food and their children eat prepared foods every day. These kids don't need to overeat to get fat, just eating pre made meals that are bulked with cheap fats and sugars is enough.

The irony is, that it seems to be those people who have the most spare time on their hands who are the ones who eat and feed their family the most convenience foods.

gazter said:
Its an important life skill. SW forces us to appreciate just how modern pre prepared foods and fast foods are made. Some of the syn values are just shocking.

It is worrying that some people just do not cook their own food and their children eat prepared foods every day. These kids don't need to overeat to get fat, just eating pre made meals that are bulked with cheap fats and sugars is enough.

The irony is, that it seems to be those people who have the most spare time on their hands who are the ones who eat and feed their family the most convenience foods.

Since they removed Home Economics from schools, and mums have gone into work outside the home more and more people reach adulthood unable to cook or know about cuts of meat, how to prepare veg etc.

One woman who worked with me said it was cheaper for her to take her daughter to McDonalds or Pizza Hut than to cook a meal. Mainly because she was cooking a roast buying a chicken, taking the breast off and chucking the rest! I taught her how she could have made four days of meals with that chicken alone!
If your mum had time to teach you to cook consider yourself very fortunate.

Frequently, when someone says "you are obsessed with xxxx" what they really mean is "I am bored with hearing about xxxx".
Well looking at your stats and awards Gazter you should be proud and I think a little bit of obsession is not a bad thing! but Anna's comment above rings true and I for one am in danger of sharing the SW love a little bit too vocally sometimes! people just glaze over and I remind myself that enough is enough - change the subject.

Since they removed Home Economics from schools, and mums have gone into work outside the home more and more people reach adulthood unable to cook or know about cuts of meat, how to prepare veg etc.

One woman who worked with me said it was cheaper for her to take her daughter to McDonalds or Pizza Hut than to cook a meal. Mainly because she was cooking a roast buying a chicken, taking the breast off and chucking the rest! I taught her how she could have made four days of meals with that chicken alone!
If your mum had time to teach you to cook consider yourself very fortunate.

Has Home Economics really been removed from schools? Isnt that one of those urban myths, like schools no longer doing PE etc. I remember it being given a fancier title, like Food Technology, but it was the same thing.

It doesnt take much to learn the basics of food cooking. It's like most things in life, start at the deep end and you'll quickly pick it up. The household I grew up in would have been classed as relatively poor. Fast food treats were rare, and would be of the chips variety. But all the other meals were home cooked. Even if some of them werent that nutritious. I remember the 'Veg Van' calling round every tuesday delivering fresh fruit and veg.

Food wasnt wasted. A roast chicken *always* became chicken soup, the cheaper cuts of lamb used to make hotpots etc. Allowing your child to go hungry was a serious sign of shame. There was a general believe, if you had a bag of potatoes and some eggs, you always had the ingredients to make a meal that would fill up your children, even if it meant the chip pan was on regularly.

I am only 36, so we arent talking about that long ago.

Who says being obsessed is a bad thing? I don't understand what's so wrong with being obsessed about anything, especially something as great as losing weight! the whole reason it never worked for me before was because I was NOT obsessed, now that I am obsessed with losing weight it's actually working.

Steve Jobs was obsessed with Success.
Michael Jackson was obsessed with Music.
Nikola Tesla was obsessed with Science.

All the greats get obsessed.
So be GREAT!

Being obsessed with losing weight when it would be unhealthy to do so can be a very bad thing. Though I would imagine and hope most people on here aren't at that stage.

Has Home Economics really been removed from schools? Isnt that one of those urban myths, like schools no longer doing PE etc. I remember it being given a fancier title, like Food Technology, but it was the same thing.

It doesnt take much to learn the basics of food cooking. It's like most things in life, start at the deep end and you'll quickly pick it up. The household I grew up in would have been classed as relatively poor. Fast food treats were rare, and would be of the chips variety. But all the other meals were home cooked. Even if some of them werent that nutritious. I remember the 'Veg Van' calling round every tuesday delivering fresh fruit and veg.

Food wasnt wasted. A roast chicken *always* became chicken soup, the cheaper cuts of lamb used to make hotpots etc. Allowing your child to go hungry was a serious sign of shame. There was a general believe, if you had a bag of potatoes and some eggs, you always had the ingredients to make a meal that would fill up your children, even if it meant the chip pan was on regularly.

I am only 36, so we arent talking about that long ago.

having only left school a couple of year ago i can confirm we had a version of home ec called Food Technology however we only ever made things like fruit salad, cheese on toast and buns and cakes, luckily my mother has taught me how to cook proper meals but had it not been for her my knowledge of home cooking would be microwave meals and frozen foods to stick in the oven

x-tuesdayemma-x said:
having only left school a couple of year ago i can confirm we had a version of home ec called Food Technology however we only ever made things like fruit salad, cheese on toast and buns and cakes, luckily my mother has taught me how to cook proper meals but had it not been for her my knowledge of home cooking would be microwave meals and frozen foods to stick in the oven

In my sons school food tech was optional. My son did it and was the most popular kid in class as he was the only one who could already cook, he did only one term though.

Home economics used to be about all sorts of things, cuts of meat, how to prepare veg, recycling clothes into dusters, how to wire a plug and how to do hand washing of clothes! I'm only 42!
Now it's all bring in a flan case, a tin of peaches, some orange jelly and they'll 'teach' you how to make a flan!!!!
My son wasn't impressed on the pizza they made as the teacher used ready made bases, ok we use a base mix but we knead it and prove it etc!

Well we never had "Food Technology" as a subject at our school, and we were supposedly a "Technology College"!!

We had compulsory home economics in 1st and 2nd year for one hour per week. I remember making a flapjack, tuna pasta and coleslaw. Wonderful. That'll feed my family.

When I was at school (I left over a decade ago) we had food technology, but it shows how much you were taught to cook that for a 'lunch' term, I made a crisp sandwich and passed!

I am undecided on obsession, if it works for you great - but I'm not so single minded, never have been.

In some newer cars I can't get the seat belt in the back seat around me.
I dread having to get on a coach because I need to shuffle to and from my seat sideways because I'm so wide.
Can't travel on a plane, seats are too small.
Need to pay for Premier seats at the Odeon, I tell people it's for comfort but it's because I can't fit in the normal seats. Had an embarrassing time once when I tried normal seats while on a date with a girl, I was too big and had to get up and get us changed to bigger seats, the place was packed too.
Can't go clothes shopping in person, can never find clothes big enough to fit me unless it's underwear or shoes, and even then my feet are very wide.
Can't sit in a booth in a restaurant because I always get wedged in between the seat and the table edge
Can't enjoy myself out in public because I feel like people are watching me
Can't do cartwheels anymore!

If it takes being obsessed to get rid of these stigmas in my life then colour me obsessed, I'm sure there are many on here just like myself who have their own reasons.

I can see why people would get in to a state where they would continue to try to lose even at a healthy weight, fashion magazines don't help, constantly airbrushing and reshaping women then throwing them up on posters and on magazine covers on a daily basis, it's no wonder so many people have a poor body image even when some (read: a lot) are perfectly healthy do not need to change their weight at all. I'm not saying that's necessarily what your experience was but a poor body image is what causes actions like these in the majority of cases. It can be difficult to get over and everyone has to sort of cross that bridge when they come to it, just like when we all decided we wanted to lose weight, it was our own decision and we had to want to do it.

You have done so well! I know the feeling of getting on planes! I remember when I was 19st only just being able to fasten the belt. It's a horrible feeling. That and knowing you've done this to yourself! so I don't care if people are bitter that I'm dedicated and I love pizza and McDonald's too much to ever become anorexic.

jezzi999 said:
I think it's a difficult and emotive topic.

I love pizza hut and McDonald's, but then became anorexic. My hair fell out and my periods stopped. I was extremely extremely unwell. It's a bit glib to think that you can't get an eating disorder because you love junk food.

And (for me) was nothing to do with fashion magazines, supermodels or peer pressure. It was life stresses and a need to feel in control.

I got better, and then after a few years I started the other extreme of comfort eating and then binge eating.

Two extremes of the same spectrum. It's actually really common to have people that have been in this boat - an obsession with food can take the form of eating it excessively or withholding it.

It's fine to make SW the focus of your life, to talk about it alot, spend lots of time on minimins, spend time planning and creating new menus and recipes. But everyone should always be aware, just as a common sense thing, that it can go too far. If you start excessive exercising (I'm talking hours and hours every day), using laxatives for weightloss, cutting out meals on a regular basis, losing control of your sense on these things... That's when obsession goes too far.

Well said jezzi. It's really difficult for people who are overweight to ever think they could become anorexic but it does happen and its important to remain vigilant to the idea that we should be getting back to health not just focussing on the scales. Getting to the point of being overweight involves a certain amount of disordered eating so it's wise to be aware that the disorder can occur in the opposite direction. People with anorexia often say how much they love and crave "junk" food, they just can't bring themselves to eat it.

I'm 9 and half stone and viably I have a bit of weight to lose although I'm only aiming for half a stone possibly a stone I also am doing it coz it makes me feel in control coz nothing else in life is at the moment. I lose weight and then I think bout everything crap in life I stuff my face put on 4 pound and then I lose the weight again. It's vicious x

Also, if I can just add, a common misconception of an eating disorder is that you are thin. That's of course true for anorexia, but there are many, many types of disordered eating all centring around obsession and control/lack of control around food.
I had bulimia for many years and was never once underweight, quite the opposite in fact, I was a bit podgy. It consumed my life. I am totally recovered from it now- hence it is safe for me to be doing SW ( a perfect plan for someone in recovery from a binge based eating disorder as it is such flexible plan)- but I would controversially say that I still have "disordered" eating as I am ver overweight now. I think anyone who is very overweight has an eating disorder of sorts.
It's just, as others have pointed out, about staying vigilant over the fine line between dedication and unhealthy obsession.
And I hate to sound like a doom merchant but please don't be under any illusions that you wouldn't get an eating disorder because you love food or because you're just not the type. Anorexics and bulimics love and adore food- that's a huge part of the problem. And it can strike anyone. Just be aware.
Sorry for such a miserable post but it's a subject close to my heart and I think there are a lot of potentially dangerous misconceptions around it.

I already have an eating disorder its called overeating. I don't obsess about what I eat now I don't even obsessively talk about it but I sympathise with the OP because the word obsess is over used and from my experience its used when I go out with friends and don't eat because Im not hungry, or food optimise. They use this word to try and make it acceptable and justify why they are eating a burger or chips while Im having a jacket potato.

If you do have a dangerous eating disorder I hope you are under medical guidance as its no joking matter and I personally have lost
someone to it so know what

Back