is it silly to be disheartened?

amyelliex

I've just took a sneaky peek on the scales and I've only lost 3lbs since tuesday. I was hoping for a big loss in week one, and I can't see my total loss this week being over 5lbs now. I've followed the diet to the letter too. Sigh, I know it's still a loss but I'm conscious that week one is the biggest loss.

The amount that comes off in the first week depends on a lot of things, how much do you have to lose? Have you been on any other diets before Exante? Also our bodies can suddenly drop a couple of pounds over night so try not to worry, see what tuesday brings

well oddly, i've just weighed myself again to double check and i've lost another pound since posting this, how odd is that?! heres to a good loss on tuesday. ;p

And I have about 80 pounds to lose. So I was hoping for a 10lb drop but its still a MUCH better loss then if i was on slimming world etc.

My weight goes up by 2 or 3lbs during the day, so stop weighing and wait until Tuesday morning! :)

It really can change quite a bit in a couple of days and especially in your first week too. I remember experiencing it in my first week. I was meant to be weighing in once weekly but I kept sneaking on those scales too often! So like SammyE said, try and wait until Tuesday and see what your first weeks loss is then rather than weighing in more frequently. I know how you feel, it can become a little bit addictive but it's also asking for trouble doing it so often... I struggled to keep to my rule in week 1 and 2 but in week 3 I didn't step on the scales until my weekly weigh in day.

Good luck!

The scales are a pain - I am convinced they cause more people give up than anything else. Weighing is an addiction - but I am hooked too! If it doesn't shift soon I'm taking my ball home.

Seriously, daily weighing is hopeless, in a day your weight can vary by four or five pounds and within a week its fluid that causes variations not weight gain or loss - so try to deal with the addiction, if you find a cure let me know. (She who used to weigh once a month at the start!).

GSQ

The scales are a pain - I am convinced they cause more people give up than anything else. Weighing is an addiction - but I am hooked too! If it doesn't shift soon I'm taking my ball home.

Seriously, daily weighing is hopeless, in a day your weight can vary by four or five pounds and within a week its fluid that causes variations not weight gain or loss - so try to deal with the addiction, if you find a cure let me know. (She who used to weigh once a month at the start!).

GSQ

I really need to bin my scales, they're now saying I've GAINED 3 pounds since yesterday, bringing my total loss to 1 pound over six days. So disheartening. I really wanted at least a 8lb loss for weigh in tommorow, and it doesn't look like it'll happen now, even if my weight does sort itself out. :(

It sounds like your scales are dodgy

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Takes 3000 Cals to gain 1lb of fat so I'd say your scales are def dodgy! Also 1litre of water weighs just over 2lbs so if your weighing later you may have a lot of water. I can be 3-4lbs up on my morning weight at night. When are you weighing? Xx

in the evening, so that may be it. I'm probably not drinking enough water too.

So I weighed in and it's been a week and apparently I've only lost 4 pounds. It's a loss, but I was hoping for more! oh well maybe week 2 will be different. I'll try again in the morning and see if there is a difference and then only weigh in weekly. I was hoping for 8-10lb loss. Just feel horrible because some people lose a stone in the first week and I'm not even halfway there. Oh well it'll come off eventually!

in the evening, so that may be it. I'm probably not drinking enough water too.

So I weighed in and it's been a week and apparently I've only lost 4 pounds. It's a loss, but I was hoping for more! oh well maybe week 2 will be different. I'll try again in the morning and see if there is a difference and then only weigh in weekly. I was hoping for 8-10lb loss. Just feel horrible because some people lose a stone in the first week and I'm not even halfway there. Oh well it'll come off eventually!

I would definitely weigh yourself tomorrow morning! Take that as your first weeks loss, I am more then sure that you will be lighter! Please update in the morning as I'd love to see, and then make sure you weigh yourself next tuesday morning and morning only lol x

Well i weighed myself this morning and the scales are saying i've only lost 3 pounds.... :/

oh well heres to week 2, people at work today were like 'you could've lost more then that on slimming world.' but i refuse to give up, hopefully my scales are playing up.

It works - this diet always works BUT its just that scales are not the most accurate way to measuring weight loss - especially daily. Fluid, hormones, bowels can all cause inaccurate measurements.

I wish someone would invent the definitive, complete, total, accurate weight loss recording device - ideally one that does brain realignment too. I am so susceptible to what the scales say - I should know better, I know they are inaccurate - but sadly I am human too and I keep on weighing and expecting instant miracles.

Good luck, but some new scales - yours definitely sound as if they are past their sell by date.

GSQ

To be honest if you are upset over what the scale is saying then id suggest maybe not weighing everyday, try weighing once a week or if you really have to 2 times a week. The upset caused by the scale can cause you to become so disheartened that you give up and no one wants that to happen.

For what its worth, your scales sound dodgy! Good luck with this week xx

ETA: The amount of weight people lose varies a lot and this depends on many factors including how much weight there is to lose, age etc xxx

Back