Is my target weight realistic?

sweet pink

is losing for shoes
I'm 5' 8 & when I first started doing SW I set myself a target of 10 stone. Lately friends & family who are beginning to notice my weightloss have asked me what my target is & when I tell them they look horrified & say that they think that is too much. I would say I have largish frame.

What do you think?? Am I being realistic or should I change my target?

Oooo, I asked the very same question myself yesterday. I was advised by the lovely and very wise ladies on here to think of it in half stone increments...so I've reset my target to 11 stone and I'm going to see how I feel/look when I get there. I originally had a target of 10 stone, but with a largish frame (like yourself) I think it was a bit unrealistic.

You're two inches taller than me hun, so you could easily go up to at least 11 stone and still be within the healthy BMI range. Some people also pointed out that it's possible to think of our target in terms of a dress size they want to be. It removes the whole issue of a target weight then.

Sian xxx

I'm 5'8 and set mine at 11 but as I have never been that small before, it is hard to tell how I would feel at that weight.

Last year when I got down to 12.7 I felt miles better, but still big. People were shocked when I said I wanted to lose another 1.1/2 stone. Sometimes our minds don't catch up with our bodies, so whereas other people can see how much smaller we've got, we don't recognise that change.

I'd set yourself interim targets and see how you feel as you reach each target - you also need to find out the weight you can happily maintain at. 10 could be too low, or you could find you feel perfect at that weight and you can easily stay at that weight.

I like the idea of using dress size rather than weight too. I'd love to get to a 12 but have no idea what weight I would be to get there!

See how you feel along your journey and appreciate each loss along the way. :D

Given that you are taller than me :)D) I would say take yourself to a healthy BMI first and have that as an "interim" target. If you feel happy there, then stop!

If you've been large for a while, you probably think you have a large frame when you might not have. By taking yourself to top-end BMI I think you'll be able to see a great difference.

I know people moan about the limitations of BMI, but to be fair, none of us are elite athletes :D

Top-end for you would be 164lbs, or 11st 10lbs.

I'm also 5'8'' and noticed that we have the same starting weight. I haven't set target yet, although I am aiming for around 11st as that puts me in the healthy bmi range. However I do set myself other targets. Two weeks ago I reached my interim target of my pre-pregnancy weight. My next interim target is 14st as that will put me in the 'overweight' category rather than the 'obese' category. My current mini target is my christmas wish - to have my 5st award.

I plan to make a decision about target when I am nearer, it's been such a long time since I was that slim that I have no idea how I'll look or feel.

I don't think that 10st is unrealistic, but I would just keep an open mind about and see how you feel along the way

Thanks ladies,

Everything you have said make perfect sense. I think I will change my target weight to 10' 10. The reason being, & I know it sounds really silly, but 10 stone anything will make me happy & that will put me at a BMI of 22 which is right in the middle. Also it gives me that 4lbs to try & stay within target when i do get there.
I love the idea of mini goals too so thats something I will definately be setting myself & I think being overweight rather than obese will be my 1st one :)

Like you have all said once I get there I can always set a new target. Thanks soo much for your advice x

Well done on your weight loss so far. I think its hard to pick your target weight as until you are near you have no idea how you will feel or look. I know I weigh heavier the older I get even though my size may be smaller, if that makes sense.

Hi Sweet :) Well done on your weightloss so far :)

I'm 5'8" too and for me 10st is way too low. I've set mine at 11st 7lb for now, but will see how I look/feel when I get there. I don't really think of an end target weight to be honest, or a dress size. For me it's all about how I look, how I feel, having an healthy BMI and a healthy attitude towards food and eating :)

i am also the same height - and i am just going to see how i feel when i get to 11st.....if i think i need to lose any more i will have a go, but if i look healthy at 11st then i will stop then!!!

Good luck xxx

Hey chick, I am 5,7 and my start weight was 14,02 and ok i'm only on week 2 i'm now 13,11 i gave myself a mini goal of 12 stone but i wanna get to 10 stone too.. But i guess i'd be happy at 11 or just reaching 12 hahha..
I'm doing a stone at a time then it dnt seem so much like hard work like ur not getting closer. So way i look at it is 12 stone now dnt seem far away.

Good luck and keep me posted on how ur doing x x

I think you just have to pick what is right for you.

My target is at the top of the overweight BMI (29.9) but I think that is what will suit me. I already feel pretty healthy and can (just) fit into cheap 14s and designer 16s. I think another stone and a half off me will look great and it will mean I can fit into 12/14s which is ideal as I will know for sure then that I can buy from any shop on the High Street.

I am reasonably fit too and go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week doing a mix of classes, treadmilling and swimming so am happy with that as well.

I think BMI and such like are indicators rather than set targets and so even though I will be BMI overweight, I already have a healthy waist/hip ratio (0.76) and another 2.5 inches off my waist will bring me into the healthy waist size for women (31.5").

I am 5ft 8in and I went down to 11 st 7lbs earler this year - my lowest ever weight and my ultimate target :D

I looked......

Dreadful! :cry:

I am 51 so maybe it's an age thing, but my face and neck was so scrawny, it just didn't suit me.

Tried to get back to 12 -7 where I looked okay but went up to 13 - 7 instead!

So trying to lose a stone at the moment.

I think people are right to say review your target as you go - what looks great one person, doesn't suit another.

And if you work very hard to reach a target and finally get there but realise it's not suitable, it is very disappointing! :sigh:

I am 5ft 8in and I went down to 11 st 7lbs earler this year - my lowest ever weight and my ultimate target :D

I looked......

Dreadful! :cry:

I am 51 so maybe it's an age thing, but my face and neck was so scrawny, it just didn't suit me.

Tried to get back to 12 -7 where I looked okay but went up to 13 - 7 instead!

So trying to lose a stone at the moment.

I think people are right to say review your target as you go - what looks great one person, doesn't suit another.

And if you work very hard to reach a target and finally get there but realise it's not suitable, it is very disappointing! :sigh:

Wow, your overall loss is amazing! You should post more often as you would be a great inspiration to others.

I think age is a factor. I'm in my 40s and am finding that my skin is not as elastic and so would rather carry some fat to plump it out a bit.

Back