• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

Is oat bran porridge a healthy extra?

I couldn't find any information only on the oat bran bread.
It's this stuff: Tesco Whole Foods Oatbran (500g) in Tesco | mySupermarket

It actually got more fibre than porridge and I like it better as well..tastes a bit like semolina :)

But I don't know whether it could count as a healthy extra??

The lady here says it has 5 Syns per 28 grams: http://www.minimins.com/syn-values/208818-100-oatbran.html

(couldn't find it in my books either)

It has actually less syns than 28g of oats!?

Get Rid of this ad and join in on the conversation for free today! Tap here!

Shrimpy

Gold Member
Yep 28g is a B choice- it's on healthy extras online.

Oh cool...are u sure it's oat bran and not all bran or bran flakes?

Also, I realised that I have to eat a piece of scan bran (cardboard bread) with my porridge to count it as a healthy extra...which I never did!
!wah!do I have to do that with oat bran as well?and is there an alternative to that as I really hate that bread...:-(

Shrimpy

Gold Member
Nope, just 28g. It's on the drop down healthy B list from the website- there are BILLIONS of B choice cereals!

I never have the scan bran/ryvita with the porridge and you don't HAVE to, it's just better to.

Mmmhhh....i thought I would have to otherwise it won't count as hex...
But i'll just carry on with oat bran in that case:)

Shrimpy

Gold Member
That's a common misconception. On the SW website it says that you don't need to eat all of a healthy extra for it to count. I never have the ryvita with my Oat So Simple porridge- I don't really like ryvita without things like Jam and nutella, which are syns that I'd rather save for something else! :)

Thanks, just what I was looking for. I prefer oat bran, it seems to keep me going for longer.

I love oatbran, think this will be my new hexb instead of alpen light bars.

If any of you have a pack of oatbran in could you have a quick look to see if it's fortified with iron like most other cereals? I can't eat anything fortified with iron due to a condition I suffer from and really struggle to find cereals to eat for breakfast. If this one is ok it will give me a bit more variety! At the moment the only one's I've found are plain old porridge oats and puffed wheat which doesn't fill me up!