is swimming gonna help???

I go swimming 4 times a week when I can manage it, and swim approx 1km each time I go. I wouldn't say it has helped my losses as such (I still lose on the weeks I don't go), but it has definately helped with toning. I have lost 7 stone in the last 6 months, and don't have any loose skin - I put this down to the swimming!

I go swimming 4 times a week when I can manage it, and swim approx 1km each time I go. I wouldn't say it has helped my losses as such (I still lose on the weeks I don't go), but it has definately helped with toning. I have lost 7 stone in the last 6 months, and don't have any loose skin - I put this down to the swimming!

WOW - congratulations on a fab loss! What is your secret?

What a fantastic loss and to have no loose skin either. That is brilliant. Well done you!

If that is not an advert for swimming I dont know what is. :)

im just jealous you have the courage to go swimming in the first place, id love to but im pathetic and scared to go :( xx

Its not pathetic imo lots of people feel this way however skinny they are or aren't but if you'd love to do it maybe you could give it a go and see how you feel then? Maybe find a pool you would feel comfortable (ish) going to and start there? xxx

I am now on week 7 of c25k-if i can do it u can do it! Just make sure you have good trainers and a decent sports bra and youll be fine

I think I will give it a go. I have had trainers fitted at Running World and have my well upholstored bra at the ready so will try and start this week.

Thanks!

Its not pathetic imo lots of people feel this way however skinny they are or aren't but if you'd love to do it maybe you could give it a go and see how you feel then? Maybe find a pool you would feel comfortable (ish) going to and start there? xxx

thank you Emsie :eek: i think i might try and find a pool thats not too far away but where i wont know anybody, that would make me feel a lot more comfortable i think xx

Only really going to repeat what everyone has said.

It is a fantastic exercise. 50 Lengths every day is really good, and you will become more toned and have better definition as well. If the water is a bit cooler, it just means your body has to work harder to warm itself up, and you do that by swimming that little bit faster!

I swim twice a week at the moment, and all the other days I do exercise classes and PT - the key thing is variety. If all you are doing is swimming, then perhaps mix it up with concentrating on one stroke one day, then change the next or perhaps get a kickboard and then concentrate on legs for a while.

Can I ask the length of the swimming pool is please? Bizzare question, but it will make sense I promise.

Its 25 metres.... do tell me what u have to tell me hehe!!:D

After reading this thread I have decided that I am definitely going to go back to swimming once the summer holidays are over!! My local pool does lunch time adult only swims, but only when the kids are all in school. The pool is far too small to go when it's packed with kids, so I will have to wait until September. Looking forward to it already :D

Emma-Louise, I was really worried about going swimming again. And the first time I went I actually got my Mum to come with me, even tho she didn't swim and just sat on a bench at the side of the pool :eek: I have to say tho that no one cares what you look like!! Honestly :D I have seen so many ladies (and men) of all different shapes, sizes, swimming ability, etc.. and people are either super nice and chatty or keep to themselves and just swim. It takes a little getting used to, but once you're in the water no one can really see you anyway. Definitely give it a go if it's something you want to do :D

Hi all just popping in to add my 2p worth :)

I spent the best part of 4 months swimming almost every day without fail, 30-40 lengths per day, and though I started off mainly breastroke I ended up doing back to back front crawl. I would say that it didn't really help my weight loss efforts directly. What is DOES do is this though - really helps give your body a great shape, improves fitness and stamina too. I also found my upper body strength increase slightly. All good.

But also, like with any exercise I guess, because I was swimming every day, I was also doing more other exercise and also found it easier to stick to plan, so the knock-on effect DOES have a slightly indirect benefit to weight loss.

And as for not having the confidence to go swimming, I know how you feel. I was 25 stone when I started on this journey (currently 15½ stone!) and felt the same. Took me ages to build up the confidence, and when I did do you know what I realised? That everyone else in the pool was either too busy swimming or too busy worrying about how THEY look to even notice you!

I personally believe exercise can GREATLY increase weight losses, and in particular jogging. I've found it gives me better losses than any other efforts, but still only do it once or so a week as I just find it sooooooooo dull lol.

Best of luck to everyone ♥

Its 25 metres.... do tell me what u have to tell me hehe!!:D

It might not sound exciting now! :confused: 25 metre pool (same as where I swim) - so 40 lengths of the pool is 1KM.

64 lengths would be a mile! This is what I am currently aiming for.

I think what I am saying is that it is a state of mind and a achievement - and to keep motivated think about a journey. Crossing the channel is 22 miles (1415 lengths) - so roughly 28 days of 50 lengths and you will have crossed the Channel.

I have started swimming today, it was with the kids today, but going to aquafit tomorrow.

I really want to start running, any tips on speed or distance to go to start with as I am over weight and do not want any injuries.

It might not sound exciting now! :confused: 25 metre pool (same as where I swim) - so 40 lengths of the pool is 1KM.

64 lengths would be a mile! This is what I am currently aiming for.

I think what I am saying is that it is a state of mind and a achievement - and to keep motivated think about a journey. Crossing the channel is 22 miles (1415 lengths) - so roughly 28 days of 50 lengths and you will have crossed the Channel.

I will really think of this when i swim my lengths!!! nice working out there on the maths! hehe xx

I have started swimming today, it was with the kids today, but going to aquafit tomorrow.

I really want to start running, any tips on speed or distance to go to start with as I am over weight and do not want any injuries.

i suggest a fast pace walk or a very slow jog..... in good comfy trainers...... or you could do some lengths in the pool instead???

Also EVERYBODY>>> i have calculated that for the 40 mins i swim for i burn 705 calories!!!

Calories Burned, BMI, BMR & RMR Calculator | CaloriesPerHour.com

This is the programme I have just started to follow:

Get-Started Schedules - Beginners - Runner's World

I actually could only manage 5 one minute runs on my first session but I did 6 today and so ended up running and walking just over 2k in 20 minutes. I run at 9kpm and walk at 5.5kpm.

Tomorrow I wlll go back and try and do 7 one minute segements and once I reach 8 in one session, I will do that 3 times and then move onto week 2 (prob in about week 3 for me).

I have never run in my life. Was very slow at the 100m at school etc and am now just a tad under 15 stone so I cant do very much (despite doing quite a bit of other exercise currently) but I hope to build up.

I go swimming a lot, but I do it for fun rather than real loss as I was told that while it is good exercise as it uses most of the muscle groups, it won't raise your heart rate as much due to the temperature and your body being held up by the water.

It's excellent fun though and I reckon any activity is going to help whatever it is.

I know a couple of people have posted on here about being worried about putting on a cossie - my body's dreadful so I looked hard and found a really great swimdress on fashionworld that covers the worst bits. You've got to remember that everyone else has worries, they're not going to look at you, so don't worry and don't let it stop you doing something you love x

Aww thanks for ur support babes

Evryone has said everything I would say, but also it's worth remembering that swimming does wonders for toning up which obviously builds muscle and the more muscle we have the better our bodies burns fat! Which can only be a good thing in my book!

Also it's true as you can see I'm hugely over weight and do not look good in a swim suit but once I just went and done it for the first time I did realise no one else gives a crap about me they are worried about themselves I use 3 different pools and go to as many of the "ladies" sessions as I can!
Good luck everyone!

I went swimming on Sunday morning and managed to do 30 lengths, ok not a lot but I intend to increase this by a least 2 extra lengths each time I go.

Most nights I go for a walk and have noticed the difference it has made, however I need to tone up and decided that swimming is the best option for me.

Just remember if you do no exercise and you enjoy swimming then it's better than nothing :)

Back