Is Swimming Really That Good For you..... Ive started going swimming,

x_kerry_x

have only been twice so far (once a week) but i love it. Does anyone else find this helps them alot with their losses? more so than walking etc

Loving SW so far :)

Just been to Aqua class and felt brilliant when it had finished - it is only the second time I have been at this gym and the teacher was a guy who made us work a lot more than the woman teacher did on Monday.

When I lost a lot of weight (5 and half stone) I used to go 3 times a week then stay for a swim afterwards and yes it really did help with the weight loss - if I hadn't done it I would have been sat watching Morning TV. :)

I swim 3-4 days a week, have done for a long time. I've only been doing SW for 5 weeks so can't say either way whether or not it's helped my losses but it's definitely stopped me getting any bigger prior to doing SW.
I did stop going for a few months last year and even though I didn't put weight, on my clothes felt tighter. Soon as I started swimming again they were looser so it's certainly toned me up. Does wonders for the old bingo wings lol

I keep saying im going to start swimming, every person i have spoken to says it helps, i just cant bear getting into a costume just yet lol!

I keep saying im going to start swimming, every person i have spoken to says it helps, i just cant bear getting into a costume just yet lol!
Go for it! I would wear a cossie though as most public pools won't let you in without one ;)
I don't think there are many people that don't seem self concious in a cossie, I am more so now thatn I used to be bizarrely, and they are probably going to be so busy worrying about what they look like to worry about looking at you x

I'm going to start when I get home from my holidays next week. I'm a size 22, very self conscious, but I'm just going to force myself, I know I'll enjoy it once I get in the water, and I'll feel fab when I've been!

Ha ha definatley something in the air as i've just taken up swimming too! Only once a week at the moment with the kids, but managing to leave oh with them for a fair bit so i can get some proper swimming in!

Also planning to start some other exercise alongside it too! x

Swimming is a very good form of exercise because it tones a variety of muscles. Not to mention, if you have joint problems etc, the water supports you so you aren't putting pressure on them like you would if you went jogging. I love swimming, but haven't been for a while. I really should start again :)

I started swimming last year, and if anything, it made me feel much better in myself, though I will say this, it take 6 week to make a habit and 1 week to break it.... so stick to it !

I dreaded going in a costume, so I bought a swimming dress and I feel miles better in it...

and no one cares what anyone looks like, I know I certainly don't look at what people are wearing while Im walking around to the pool, as I am more concerned of what I look like ;)

the only thing I can't understand is why people go swimming, and then stand in the shallow end gossiping with their friends... for an hour ?? then get out !.... Now people are too busy looking at them, than the people swimming and walking around

lisa xx

i go once a week, I can't say its helped my losses any but it is helping on the toning side, and I can feel my arms and shoulders getting stronger.

All exercise is good exercise :) swimming in particular is good as it supports your body whilst your exercising. I find that I feel better once I've swam, even if I can't see an immediate difference in weightloss.

Btw I totally agree about random groups standing and talking, why bother? And they always move in your way when you're trying to do lengths. Grrrrr...

In my opinion it is the best exercise there is.

I am very lucky to have a swimming pool at home but ashamed that I do not utilise it more than I do as it is a good sized pool and the weather at present is hot, hot, hot.

Reading this thread has inspired me to make the time to swim more every day !

In my opinion it is the best exercise there is.

I am very lucky to have a swimming pool at home but ashamed that I do not utilise it more than I do as it is a good sized pool and the weather at present is hot, hot, hot.

Reading this thread has inspired me to make the time to swim more every day !

YOU HAVE A SWIMMING POOL AT HOME !!! Jesus, get in there lol!

Lisa x

YOU HAVE A SWIMMING POOL AT HOME !!! Jesus, get in there lol!

Lisa x

Spoken like a good Manchester girl.

I was born in Didsbury and as a married adult lived in Heald Green, Cheadle Hulme and then Lancs before moving to a warmer climate and meeting and marrying my second husband, the love of my life.

And thanks for the advice today I have been in and had a good swim....................I suppose it is familiarity that makes me take it for granted but after reading this thread I will be in there every day.

fillymum said:
Spoken like a good Manchester girl.

I was born in Didsbury and as a married adult lived in Heald Green, Cheadle Hulme and then Lancs before moving to a warmer climate and meeting and marrying my second husband, the love of my life.

And thanks for the advice today I have been in and had a good swim....................I suppose it is familiarity that makes me take it for granted but after reading this thread I will be in there every day.

Ha ha ... Call a spade a spade !!

You are very lucky to have a pool !! Glad it motivated you to get in it !!

Wonder what you'd wi would be like if you used it every day ???

I'm just about to put my virtual gastric band on my thing that I listen to music on ... Apple thingy, for some reason I cannot think what it's called lol !!

Happy swimming !

Lisa xx

I joined the gym at work last Friday. I went swimming on Tuesday and did aquafit tonight. My thighs really ache so it obviously does some good!!

Back