Is there anyone...

I havnt seen anyone over my few days of being on here on the SBD but dont get disheartened if no-one replies. Just join in with all the others like I do, we all support each other. Good luck.

I agree about the forum thing, but like I said everyone pretty supportive of each other. Ive only been on here 3 days but finding it a great help. Good luck and speak soon.:D

It's essentially low GI, they describe it as good carb, good fat. So olive oil, nuts and seeds, avocados are all ok in measured quantities. Lots of vegetables and beans and low-fat dairy. Eggs. Lean meats for non-veggies, quorn for us veggies.

It emphasises whole foods, so no white bread or white pasta or sticky rices. But small portions of couscous, wholewheat pasta, brown rice, wholemeal bread etc. are fine. You can have wine (other alcohols not encouraged) and dark chocolate. Most fruits, including quite a few dried fruits, are ok.

It's really good for stabilising blood sugar, so excellent for anyone with insulin resistance (e.g. people with PCOS or pre-diabetes).

A typical weekday I might have:

3 sunflower and oat ryvita with natural peanut butter
bowl of fat-free natural yoghurt

mid-morning
apple

lunch
avocado, cherry tomato, spinach and low-fat mozzarella salad

mid-afternoon
sunflower seeds and sugar snap peas

dinner
black bean chilli

snacks
piece of low-fat cheesecake (homemade) or sliced pepper dipped in hummus

Thanks Shanny. I've only been doing this 5 weeks and it feels very healthy. I think you need to be feeling quite committed to stick to it, mostly because you need to plan a bit, but there are lots of yummy things to eat! I never let myself get hungry either.

Good luck to you too, you've had a great loss!

Maynie,

We chatted on the gi forum. Remember? I have dreadful PCOs. I have ordered my south beach book and waiting for it to come. How much have you lost in 5wks? Hope you dont mind me asking. All of the foods are just what I eat. I am veggie/vegan. Trying to give up eggs! But I love em!

Do you find it easy? Can I have my tofu on it?

Maynie just seen you bought the supercharged book as it has adjustments. I bought the normal one :( what is the difference? can I get by without buying the other one?

xxx

Last edited:
Hi - Yes I remember! I'm veggie too and it's a great diet for that. I've lost 18 pounds in 5 weeks, which is brilliant for me as I am usually a really slow loser.

You'll manage fine with the first book, as it covers the first principles. You can get the changes from the internet:

SB Diet Message Boards • View topic - Phase I Foods to Enjoy - (Updated April 2008)

and

SB Diet Message Boards • View topic - Updated Phase 2 Food List as of 04/30/2008

Give more details on what you should be eating in phases 1 and 2. Tofu is fine, so is quorn. I don't think I could give up eggs!

I started trying South Beach after 2 people on another (non-diet) forum I use used it to lose weight to have IVF and they both got pregnant. US doctors actually recommend it for people with PCOS.

Are you taking anything for PCOS?

Hi - I'm a bit of a lurker so just thought I'd say hi. I lost 7 stone in 6 months on south beach a few years ago. I am a fan, but I have to say I am a convert to slimming world for reasons of general health (I was too restrictive and therefore poorly after SB loss) and SW is also better for me in terms of sustainability of weight loss / maintenance.
Good luck to you both though and congratulations for doing so well so far! x

Hi Giblet - I've done the reverse! I lost weight on slimming world years ago and didn't keep it off. I think slimming world is great, but maybe not the best thing for me. I lost really slowly on it, way more slowly than my sister did. I also still had blood sugar highs and lows, I think because I was still eating huge amounts of things like potatoes. I've seen it work brilliantly for lots of people and the class I used to go to was great.

7 stone in 6 months was really quick, you must have done a very strict version of South Beach. Did you stay in phase one? (Hmm, my thinking about this is a bit messed up. The sensible part of my brain is thinking, yes 7 stone in 6 months is too quick and you're bound to feel negative effects after that. The other part is going 'YAY! Seven stone in six months, do that, do that!' :D)

How is slimming world going? Mmm, sw chips and egg. Yum.

Hey :)
I did stay in a "modified" phase 1 really. I didn't eat bread, rice or potatoes at all and hardly had any "treats" during the 6mths, in fact I only had like 1/2 biscuit about twice, and one meal out (spag bol) in the whole time. Other meals out were almost always tuna salad!
I usually had bacon and egg for breakfast, then some sort of salad for lunch, fruit / cheese / carrot for snacks and meat and veggies for tea. The only thing I allowed myself was a small bowl of cereal in the evenings most nights. I know I could have done so much more with all the recipes but I didn't. When I tried to go back to South Beach after putting 4 of the 7 stone back on, I stuck to it for a while but then got ill again. I find that slimming world is much slower but seems to suit me and my health better, and my fiance is also following it which makes it easier at home to cook for us both!
I certainly wouldn't knock south beach though - it really helped me and I keep the principles in mind if i want to have a strict week, but I'm now a SW convert. I love being able to eat curry and chilli with rice too much to go back, lol x

Wow, that is a very strict version! You did amazingly well to stick to it for 6 months. I've already had about 4 meals out! I've been doing the gradual shift from phase 1 to phase 2 he now recommends, but I don't think I was as limited as that even in phase 1. It sounds really low carb, do you think you went into ketosis? My average diet on South Beach is completely different to that and contains a lot more both fat and carbs!

Do you mind if I ask what the impact on your health was?

Glad you're doing well on slimming world, I still keep the healthy extra quantities in mind when I'm eating that sort of food!

Hi Maynie

Thanks for those links. Really helpful. No not on any medication for my pcos. Should I be?! Are you?

Thank you again and well done on your brilliant weight loss. I hope I can do as well. My book still not here but gonna find some menu plans online for phase 1

x

Some people take metformin for PCOS. Virtually everyone diagnosed in the US is given it. But the evidence that it works is mixed and it frequently causes stomach upsets.

I just take supplements - agnus castus and high dose vitamin B6 plus I've just started on inositol. Agnus castus has sorted out my cycles; inositol is supposed to be good for insulin resistance/weight loss and egg quality. B6 is good for general fertility stuff, not sure if it has any PCOS benefits.

Good luck with starting South Beach - it can seem harsh in phase one, but it gets a lot easier in phase two. If you don't have much weight to lose and have already been doing low GI, it might be ok for you to start in phase two.

I make sure I have the 'nice' things like avocado and natural peanut butter, so I don't feel deprived. Don't be afraid of using 'good fats' as Dr Agatston calls them, I was nervous of adding olive oil to my salad after years of low fat diets, but it has worked so far for me!

It's good to have company :D

Hey you!

I have quite a bit of weight to lose :( about 6 stone :( I put alot on when I had my son who but it was worth it as I had tried to have a baby for ten years. So was a real gift.

But now I have so much weight round my tummy area. I hate it and its not healthy so I have to get it sorted. Can I have avocado and PB in phase 1?? They are my fave things anyway! LOL!!

I am looking forward to starting it. I will look online for meal plans etc

Can you give me some ideas for breakfast in phase 1 Maynie? Till my book arrives.

x

Last edited:
Yes, avocado and pb in phase 1 are fine.

Breakfasts are the hardest thing in phase 1 I think! Omlette with lots of veggies in is good.

You're giving up eggs though aren't you? Hmm. Yoghurt with stewed rhubarb is really nice, though I need something else with it really. A few morning I had a bean salad! Weird for breakfast, but actually it was good.

Actually, you could have the muffin in a minute from the recipes thread, though I'm not sure about what to replace the egg with. I'll have a think!

No gonna keep with the eggs till phase 2!! hahaha Will be easier then. I love my eggs. I dont think I can let them go!

Am I allowed soy milk? Low fat one? I could make a smoothie with that, low fat yog and some PB in it. YUM

x

Back