Is this true - meeting related

Dreamcatchme

Hi, I'm new to posting on minimins (I'm a lurker) but I had a strange experience at my meeting tonight and I was hoping someone could clarify things for me. I was late (due to childcare issues) so arrived during image therapy and asked to be weighed at the end. My leader made me wait for 15 minutes after the image therapy then gave me a real telling off, saying weighing late members is against slimming world rules and that she could get in trouble of sw hq. She was very short with me and I got very upset on my home from meeting. I don't feel like I want to go back next week :( she does a later meeting but I couldn't make it to that one because I have to get home to put my children to bed. My question is is this true? I thought it would be better to go late than miss it altogether. It's really knocked my confidence. Thanks x

I thought the policy was, if you arrive after the meeting starts, they weigh you at the end. My old consultant was relaxed about it and was happy for latecomers to weigh during the talk but a few weeks ago he had a supervised meeting and warned everyone the week before that if they were late, he'd have to do it officially and weigh them at the end, with the area manager watching him.

I don't know if there is an official rule - my consultant doesn't do this. There is one member who regularly arrives late due to work shifts which means she has to wait until after image therapy to get weighed (and never gets slimmer of the week etc if she does well) but she never gets told off.

I have never heard this as everyone says if you are late you wait to the end to be weighed, but it's not against the rules.

Thanks for your replies. I'm glad to hear that I'm not being ott by thinking that this seems unreasonable. I did feel like a naughty child! I have 2 very young children and sw is the only thing that I do that gives me 'me' time. I had a big sob in the car driving home (pathetic, I know). It's really knocked my confidence about going back, but it's the only meeting in my area I can go to due to work commitments. Suppose I'll just have to see how things go next week. Thanks again x

thats awful for you :-(

You did the right thing by going anyway and getting to stay for group. I agree with maybe phone HQ as see what they say! I would be very put off my group if it happened to me! We often have 2-3 late but they just get weighed at the end along with any newbies

My consultant is relaxed about this too, didn't realise it was a rule? I wouldn't go back if she was short either, don't blame you! There's other groups and other consultants to pay x

I think hq are cracking down on consultants (she shouldn't have had a go at you though). I'm always early for group and my consultant lets me in and weighs me as soon as I arrive so I can settle down with a cuppa, but this week she said that hq have started monitoring what time people get weighed so she should really only weigh her social team before group officially starts

Our consultant weighs latecomers at the end of group. Even if it is an SW rule, making you wait fifteen minutes after image therapy and then telling you off is obnoxious and rude.

Hello dreamcatchme. There are some excellent responses to your post. I must say I could really relate to the tears in the car as this is how I woud have responded. I can understand your reticence with ringing hq but do think that you should- perhaps explaining the circumstances and then asking if this really was company policy. To feel like this after your only 'me' time is dreadful!! I hope yu are feeling better now. :)

You do not pay your money every week for a service to be told off. If she didn't want to weigh you, then she should have declined to weigh you and declined your money for the class also.

Personally I wouldn't go back and would either text or ring her to explain why. I think you'll find she quickly changes her tune when she realises she's going to lose money.

If she has a later class I don't see what her problem is, could she not just weigh you are part of that one?

They are not allowed to weigh you before the official start time but after the class shouldn't be an issue after all new members weigh in at the end of class. If she runs two classes back to back there could be a problem if you arrived late for the first one after they have closed the books but too early for the second group but that doesn't sound like what happened here

I think you should tell her exactly what you have told us. Maybe you can't manage telling her to her face, so why not write to her? Not an email, or a text, but a proper letter, explaining things exactly the way you have done so here.

And tell her that you are thinking of not going back, that her attitude has possibly lost her a customer, that you are not a child to be told off for being late for assembly (does that date me? do schools still have assemblies??), but an adult paying customer.

And I would send a copy to head office too. There are excuses for most things, but never an excuse for rudeness!

I agree with all the previous posters - your C was bang out of order. If anyone is late my C weighs them at the end without a grumble - as someone has already mentioned, she weighs the new members then anyway. I would definitely complain to head office.

I agree with all the replies here - your C was very rude, you should check with HQ about their late policy, and a letter to the C explaining how you feel could clear the air. Child care issues should take priority and you did the best you could, and after all you still turned up didn't you?

So often we are told that SW should work around our real lives and not control and dominate our life. If little real life situations like child care issues cannot be dealt with in a mature and polite manner then how is that fitting in with that idea? I am not sure about the official policy but I would be stunned if my C treated me like this. Okay, admittedly she is lovely so I can't imagine it of her, but I have been late a few times, also because real life happens to me. An apology, an explanation and if possible a text from me in advance letting her know the circumstances and my ETA (if I have the time to type and send the text) and I still get a friendly smile on arrival and WI after group.

Whatever the policy, there was no need for her to react like she did.
There are ways of talking to people, especially when you are a paying customer!
I would definitely have a chat with her about it, she needs to be aware, if she's not already, that she cannot treat people like that.

On a personal note, in the past when I have attended class late, for whatever reason, I have just been weighed with the new members at the end...where's the problem in that?

Your consultant does seem a bit extreme and out of order. It is difficult to weigh latecomers mid session though as the chip & pin reader you use at weigh is the same bit of kit your consultant uses for image therapy so I guess it would disrupt the group for everyone else.

Someone turned up up late to our group this week and got the hump because she couldn't be weighed mid session.

Thanks for all your replies, think I'll have a chat with her next week about it. Efk, I didn't want to be weighed midsession, just at the end when everyone had finished. She does the new members talk at the beginning but I don't think there were any new members so it was just me wanting to be weighed. She said her cut off was the beginning of image therapy. She said she had already 'given it 5 minutes in case there were people waiting in the car park with low confidence' . She hasn't really spoken to me properly before now (it's the weigh in lady who talks to me) so I'm not sure how she has made an assessment of my confidence levels. I am recovering from postnatal depression which I obviously haven't announced in image therapy when everyone else is talking about recipes! Xxx

I think thats terrible - talk about how to knock someones confidence!! Definitely speak to her about it if you feel you can. Maybe she was in a bad mood because she'd had a gain lol

Back