It's probably just me but the psychology of my new approach

stivesliz

Gold Member
Ok so I went back after a 3 week gap and have gained 4.5 pounds. I am ok with this because I am due my star week and I have eaten rather a lot lol.......

I am hoping to resume my journey with slow steady losses and I have thought about how I may do things slightly differently this time.

First off is shopping - one of my problems is huge weekly shops. I tend to shop online because I loathe going into the supermarket and I also tend to buy a lot of the '3 for £10' packs of chicken and pork etc etc. Well once delivered and put away I would have a bulging fridge, so much so that it would actually overwhelm me a bit - same with all the fruit and veg so instead of making me feel motivated and inspired it would leave me spoilt for choice and bizarrely less inclined to think about what was for dinner. I have therefore today gone to tescos and bought a few bits of fruit and basically enough food to last us all for the next 3 or 4 days. My fridge is half full but it is quite clear what we will be having to eat for our dinners.
The huge weekly shop was also meaning a lot of waste for us ( thinsg were going out of date ) which isnt good so maybe I will save money too.

I am going to stop throwing the whole week away for the sake of one bad day.

I am going to stop putting a date of when I want to reach target and be a bit more relaxed about it all. It will happen when it happens, end of.

I am going to embrace my WI result every week and never be upset with 'only half a pound'.

I am with SW for life - I was going to try fasting for 2 days a week ( the new 5 : 2 fast diet ) but this will never work. I like my grub too much.

And a big thank you to all on here that have enquired after my wobbly whereabouts recently - I'm touched by how great you are - xxxxxxxx

Good luck with your new approach, you sound very motivated!

I do a weekly shop but nothing goes to waste, i write a complete meal plan and only buy what we need...my aunty does pick me up fruit and bread on a Saturday (i shop Thurs mornings) as i can't buy enough to last a whole week without things like strawberries going off.

I am going to practive the embracing of every loss too i think!

Good thinking Liz, whatever works for you hun. x

I do a weekly online shop but not a huge shop, just around the £50 mark so I get free delivery (Waitrose). Not all of it is food though, there's always loo roll or shampoo or washpowder or something to push up the price!! I don't tend to get a lot of waste as I buy just enough for the week. I also plan the evening meals so I know what to do with those 3 for £10 packs of meat!

Well done on going back, it's a step in the right direction!

Sounds like you have your head in gear. I don't do a "big" shop every week as we were throwing stuff away and I would have to go to local shops for stuff in the week anyway, so I started shopping daily and it means there is much less waste. I can do that but still have to go to the supermarket every couple of weeks for stuff like loo roll etc. means I have to be a bit more organised but it has saved me lots of money.

We do a weekly shop in Aldi with a food budget of £35 and no meal plan. That includes washing powder, loo roll and cleaning products, but we still manage to get loads of fruit and veg, and then things like cheese along with meat/protein for lunches. We then have a £10 budget for the market to buy "treat" fruit like strawberries, raspberries, mangoes etc and flowers for our kitchen and hallway. I find that making time to prepare fruit and then keep it ready in the fridge helps me keep on track :) don't have the time or the budget to shop more than once a week so it has to do us on a Saturday. I always find if I do more than one shop a week, I spend more than I would on an equivalent weekly shopping list because of the extras that creep in :(

These days I plan 3 or 4 meals at a time and shop accordingly. I try to multi-buy where possible and freeze the extra for following weeks. I have plenty of time so it's easier for me, probably wouldn't have managed when I was working.

This sounds great - I think once your heads in the right bplace the plan is easy.

I do a meal planner for the week and stick to that when I go shopping like a lot of people we have a certain amount to spend on food etc each month and once its gone then that's it!!

I strayed a bit with meal planning and really noticed the difference in food bill- went up almost 50% over the weeks I didn't plan so gone back to basics- went through my cupboards, fridge and freezer writing down what I had,then worked out what meals I could make out of it only adding a few extra ingredients here and there. Those extra ingredients, plus fresh fruit, veg, and milk was my weekly shop! Came to £20! I save so much money planning and don't have to throw anything away. I also divide meat into portions and freeze so I can see at a glance how many meat meals we have left. X

I found I had a lot of waste of fresh food on a weekly shop and then not a lot that inspired me at the end of the week. I shop with Tesco so signed up for their saver delivery where you can have as many deliveries you want as long as you spend over £40. Now, instead of a weekly shop, I have a shop delivered every 5 days. I'm not paying any more in delivery charges and I am wasting a lot less!

I found I had a lot of waste of fresh food on a weekly shop and then not a lot that inspired me at the end of the week. I shop with Tesco so signed up for their saver delivery where you can have as many deliveries you want as long as you spend over £40. Now, instead of a weekly shop, I have a shop delivered every 5 days. I'm not paying any more in delivery charges and I am wasting a lot less!

I am going to investigate that right now x

Back