1. MiniMins members lost 144 Stone in January! Why not join in the conversation today?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Its time to be alive

Discussion in 'Fitness Health and Exercise' started by cateka, 15 December 2009 Social URL.

1. cateka

cateka Well-Known Member

Hello everybody, just a little shoutout to anybody who has been following my story (I know its been a long time), just thought I'd give you a recap in order to let you know that this morning I realised I was alive :)

So whats been happening... I passed my A-levels with flying colours (AAA) and went onto start my training as an RGN.
    Unfortunately due to a MASS of awful events, all occuring on the same week, my eating disorder spun out of control to levels I thought in incapable of and I fell into the darkest mood I had ever known.

I suddenly awoke in hospital in unbearable agony with total amnesia about the previous handful of days. When I came through I was brought upto date... I had been semi-dragged into A&E by my boyfriend sobbing hysterically then started wretching and fell unconscious. As the dust started to clear from my mind the memory came back loud and clear that I had taken a Paracetemol overdose and written a suicide note.

The doctors explained to me that had I been rescued by my boyfriend one hour later I would have (inevitably) died. Over a period of two weeks via renal failure (ouch). The pain I was then experiencing would have been nothing in comparison.

I left hospital not too happy to be alive and started ploughing on through my life in melancholy. One day I just lost it, grabbed my iPod and just ran and ran and ran along the south bank river in London, wrapped up in the panoramic views I suddenly realised I had run to the other end of town, hastily ran across a bridge and back home. It was only when I opened up a map later that I realised I had run 6.5 miles... for the first time.

Every step was a step-up from there, I restarted working at the hospital, doing all I could for HIV and TB patients, and just ran more and more, got happier and happier... Whats really bizarre was that I realised the split-second I stopped worrying about my weight I became a good runner. And despite my eating disorder steadily fazing itself out... I haven't gained an ounce of weight :) Yes, I am still underweight, but with no symptoms of malnourishment... I guess this is just down to a healthy lifestyle.

So where am I now? I am an over-achieving trainee nurse, a runner preparing for their first marathon in 2011 (running a minimum 22 miles per week), the prize-pupil of a yoga class and an amateur-apparantly-with-a-lot-of-potential boxer. And get this... I'm even starting to talk again. Yes, to people :)

I guess this is... alive.
    Its not too bad actually.

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

Register a free account with MiniMins and join in the conversation!
  3. KD

KD Gone fishing

Yep. Lovely to hear from you again Cateka, and so pleased to hear you've turned a corner :clap:

4. judimac

judimac Mad old Bat with Attitude

What a great post! I'm so Happy for you.

5. cateka

cateka Well-Known Member