I've decided not to go back to group.

mummytummy

Silver Member
well as the title says really.

I'm continuing with the diet at home but don't really feel I 'get' anything out of group and find my consultant quite boring
:(

once weigh in is done she just goes around everyone (40 odd people) and tells the whole group what each one of us has lost/gained etc......does your consultant do anything different?

She's a nice woman but bores the living daylights out of me!

This pretty much sums up every SW class I have ever been to. I loathe them but love the plan so I am tolerating them for now. It's the sheer length of them that gets on my nerves.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Here here! My 6 yr old son is now my official 'weigher' ive made him a chart and hes gonna fill it in every week once hes took my weight!!

Aw thats a shame!! Yes IT can be like that BUT if the consultant is any good she/he can and should still make it interesting. Our IT takes approx 1 hr and in that time our c tells us the latest news from Head Office, syn values,recipes, changes of values in the shops, new products etc. Then she goes on to awards, then the losses,gains etc. We have competitions,games, tasters, and fun. I think thats how they all should be, sadly this isnt always the case. I am lucky in that my c is fabulous.

That's how the classes work - everyone gets their turn to talk about how their week went, good or bad. I try to listen and help other people and in return my group have helped me when I've been struggling or had a gain. It's about what we all put in, not just about the consultant. We keep in touch outside of group and some of us meet up in the week and go to exercise classes together. We're a team!

I couldn't do SW without my group but good luck with doing it by yourselves, plenty of people do it very successfully. :)

I am a group person too. Always on our fbook page helping and supporting other members. Love it. And I am in the social team, running the shop and organising the raffle. Some people need the group support, others are quite happy to do it online or just at home themselves. Whichever suits you best really.

she doesn't give us any news from head office and I don't even find the other members that supportive to each other....: ( Sad really as I really wanted to have the support and advice from a group too x

I'm continuing with the diet at home but don't really feel I 'get' anything out of group and find my consultant quite boring

once weigh in is done she just goes around everyone (40 odd people) and tells the whole group what each one of us has lost/gained etc......does your consultant do anything different?

You do realise you can go to any group? you don't have to stick with that one, If i need to go out on a Thursday evening i can go to one round the corner that weighs at 17.30 as opposed to mine, at 19.30 just change group, and don't let it make you think that SW is at fault cause it's not ;)

Yes thats true you can go to any group. I think that is awful that you dont get any support within group. I feel very lucky that I am in a group which is hugely supportive. Our fbook page is so busy and if someone says they are struggling with something within a few minutes there is always someone who will post words of support and encouragement. Also when an award is reached, ie half stone, stone etc on the scales a hooter hoots by the w i person and the whole group clap. OK not everyone probably likes that, if the member doesnt wish that to be done then its not, but most of the members like it. I love our group. Its such a pity not everyone has the same experience. It really is down to the consultant I think. If she/he is enthusiastic then it will rub off on members.

I'm continuing with the diet at home but don't really feel I 'get' anything out of group and find my consultant quite boring :(

I was EXACTLY the same..

I rejoined 2 weeks ago and back to group but the new C and group members are fantastic.

You're right- cant do group if it's a rubbish consultant.. And a rubbish group!

I do believe the consultant in my area actually runs most of the localish groups to me, so be no good changing! lol

I'm going to put my fiver in a jar and weigh myself lol

lol sounds like a good idea :)

My mum is an ex slimming world consultant, and I spent most of my childhood and teenage years coming to group with her; I used to loath going. However, she retired 6 years ago and doing the plan from home has stopped working for me, even with my mum overseeing what I'm doing. We had a chat and came to the conclusion that I NEED to go to class for the support, for the set time of weighing myself once a week at the same time on the same day. (I've been so obsessed these last few weeks and weighing myself twice a day) So for me it makes sense to go.

I guess it's each to their own. Luckily I'm joining my mum's best friend's group, I've known her since I was 8 and hopefully she'll turn my 3st loss to a 7st :)

Saying that, my mum has seen so many people decide to 'do it from home' with limited success.

Last edited:
I agree, shop around to find a group that works for you, also the more you go to group the more people you know and the more the consultant knows you and you get more support that way.

I would give it a while and see if it improves, as was said earlier, you get out what you put in xx

Would you consider doing it online? I'm an online member as there isnt a group within an hours drive of my house. Every week after your weigh in they have some really good articles, a section if you are struggling, and tons of articles to deal with a range of topics. It might give you the support you need without having to go to an unsupportive group?

Theres also hundreds of gorgeous recipes which is very handy.

The classes bore me rigid, so half the time I weigh and go but know that if I didn't have to step on those official scales each week, I wouldn't have stuck to it.

I've been going to group for 5 weeks or so. I've only stayed for the full class the first week I was there. Each week since I've been weigh and go. Don't like group at all.

I used to go to Scottish Slimmers. At those groups you pay and take a number. At a certain time the consultant closes the door and she does a motivational talk then weighs everyone in order. I always found those motivational talks really good and I always took something away from them. I was actually considering joining Scottish Slimmers for the class and following SW plan, but I love Lifeline Online. Don't think I'd get by without it! So, I'll be sticking with weigh and go at SW groups.

There is honestly no motivational talks.....and hearing some people say wow I lost a pound and ate 3 mc donalds this week!!! Does not encourage me! lol

I think I may look into joining online....hopefully that will keep me accountable! Plus my husband is in the military and away for a minimum of 2 months in a few weeks so I wouldn't have been able to make it to group every week anyhow!

Thanks everyone for your input xx

this in spades!

any group i have ever been to has been exactly like this.

i now just do it from home, fill in my ticker each week and so far its working fine and im saving money!

xxx

Back