I've decided not to go back to group.

wow it's amazing how many people feel the same! Even those of you who do go, a lot don't even stay for these very reasons.....I think SW maybe need to put in a step by step guide on how to run a class, keep it interesting and motivational! X

Hi. I joined a SW group a couple of years ago & went for a few weeks, however it just wasn't for me, so have done it from home ever since. I got to target on my own, then put some of the weight back on as needed spinal surgery & was rather inactive for a few months & then re-started again & now at target. However, I think its all very individual as some need the group support. I dont, as am a very determined, stubborn person & once I put my mind to something I will see it thru to the end however long it takes! I've had a few blips along the way, where I've gained by eating the wrong things, but Im a grown up & knew what I was doing, but got back to it as soon as things slipped.
Good luck with doing it from home. You will get all the support, advice & inspiration from this site you need, as I would have been lost without it!

I joined Slimming World in January. Due to other committments it is difficult to stay to group but I know that if I need to I have the support of my consultant. I know I definitely couldn't do it, no matter how good my intentions are, without going to get weighed each week. Its just a psychological thing for me. I could put my £5 in a jar and weigh myself at home but I know I would eventually start to cheat myself. For me its all about the weigh in every Tuesday night.

I love cheering people on, gives me a real buzz :) it's worth it as my c is good, people in group are lovely too. Been to a few different groups apart from main one due to work patterns and one if them was pretty boring...but the other Thursday one I use is great too :) 2/3 ain't bad. Am going to another different one tomorrow so intrigued to see what that one is like!!

My C is lovely and the group seem nice, but they are quite close knit, most have been members for quite a while,lots of target members etc. I am quite happy to talk to anyone, but I don't feel I can there. Still, I stay every week, I clap for everyone and they do the same for me, maybe I should just start talking to someone at class this week instead of waiting for them to talk to me lol.
We have a FB page but I am the only one posting on it too:(

one of the things that always made me very uncomfortable at group was a group member weighing me.

always felt awkward and a bit wrong, if you know what i mean.

i appreciate that the consultant could do with a hand with big groups, but i could never quite understand why it had to be a fellow member at the scales.

just doesnt sit right.
xx

I can totally relate to this. The woman who used to weigh me comes into the store where i work and i find her rude and feel as if she looks down on me and my fellow workmates, so when i first noticed that she was the weigher i was quite disheartened.

I can totally relate to this. The woman who used to weigh me comes into the store where i work and i find her rude and feel as if she looks down on me and my fellow workmates, so when i first noticed that she was the weigher i was quite disheartened.

the woman who weighed me at my last group i attended was a bit like that, up her own bum and holier than thou.

great stuff.

said no one ever.:crazy:

Aw I love my group.. but it does seem to go on forever, I personally am thinking of doing it from home after my countdown is done.. but we will see.

one of the things that always made me very uncomfortable at group was a group member weighing me.

always felt awkward and a bit wrong, if you know what i mean.

i appreciate that the consultant could do with a hand with big groups, but i could never quite understand why it had to be a fellow member at the scales.

just doesnt sit right.
xx

I agree. I've been to RConley classes and WW classes, and the leader has always done the weighing in. It's only at SW that a group member does it. The consultant should be there to weigh in and then do the new members' talk at the end of the class IMO.

I agree. I've been to RConley classes and WW classes, and the leader has always done the weighing in. It's only at SW that a group member does it. The consultant should be there to weigh in and then do the new members' talk at the end of the class IMO.

100% agree

I joined Slimming World in January. Due to other committments it is difficult to stay to group but I know that if I need to I have the support of my consultant. I know I definitely couldn't do it, no matter how good my intentions are, without going to get weighed each week. Its just a psychological thing for me. I could put my £5 in a jar and weigh myself at home but I know I would eventually start to cheat myself. For me its all about the weigh in every Tuesday night.

I am exactly the same. I have joined WW, Scottish Slimmers and SW in the past. Always thought, I'll get the books and follow from home. Never have, hence here I am.

Knowing that I have to step on the scales each week and someone is going to weigh me seems to be keeping me on track right now... But the class does absolutely nothing for me.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I think sometimes though if the new members talk was after IT the meeting would go on too long. I know with our group the hall is used for another person (mums n tots I think) so we have to pack away after l.5hrs of us using it. The same applies if we have a back to back group, the second one starts 1.5hrs after the first one. I know not all groups are the same, but that just would not work in our group. The consultant weighs the new member after they have booked in at the end of IT if they wish to join. The person on weigh in keeps your weight confidential, or certainly should do. I can however, understand that some members have a problem with another member weighing them. Its a difficult one.

wow it's amazing how many people feel the same! Even those of you who do go, a lot don't even stay for these very reasons.....I think SW maybe need to put in a step by step guide on how to run a class, keep it interesting and motivational! X

Okay, consultants are trained. There is a step by step guide to running a group and trying to keep it interesting and motivational. The whole going round the room thing is the Slimming World way and must be done, but here's the thing, if people don't offer hints, tips, recipes and ideas then it can be boring. The group is about the members and sharing. The group should motivate and inspire each other, not just the consultant.

*gets off soap box*

I'm relatively new to SW, my C is a lovely lady, lost a lot of weight herself on SW, I stay for group because I want to get as much out of it as I can, my group is v large so you can be there for ages listening to other people's losses or gains and I don't really know anyone so it can be boring but I make myself stay as I do think it's an integral part (for me atleast) of my weight loss, I am quite cautious about getting complacent and slipping off track so I stay but it does go on for ages.

i agree that a good consultant and club makes al the difference. Luckily my C is fab and the image therapy group after is fun but not too long! We go roudn each member and share losses/gains/receipes and help each other out. I joined the social team a few months ago too as i really enjoy going and it means i interact even more with other members.
Definitely see if there are any otehr local groups run by someone else as it makes a huge difference, i know personally if i didnt stay i'd fall off the SW wagon much too easily! Good Luck :)

Yes even though technically I dont have to weigh in every week as at target I do as obviously I go every week with being in the social team as well. It really keeps me on the straight and narrow.

Hi first post ....
ive started sw and in just two sessions am bored of my consultant too. What really gets me is the repeated use of the same phrases: have a good week, what is there to stop you reaching your target?

Also, why don't they do the newbie talk after the session? Had to sit for an hour waiting after being weighed today. Still I've lost four and a half pounds in two weeks so am pleased with the actual programme.

has anyone suggested a suggestion box in their group? I wonder if the consultant is tied to sw guidelines and can't deviate from them, due to head office instruction.

Last edited:
Hi first post ....
ive started sw and in just two sessions am bored of my consultant too. What really gets me is the repeated use of the same phrases: have a good week, what is there to stop you reaching your target?

Also, why don't they do the newbie talk after the session? Had to sit for an hour waiting after being weighed today. Still I've lost four and a half pounds in two weeks so am pleased with the actual programme.

has anyone suggested a suggestion box in their group? I wonder if the consultant is tied to sw guidelines and can't deviate from them, due to head office instruction.

Yes, consultants are "tied" to head office guidelines. All groups should be run to the same timings.

It's not possible to do the talk after group. Some consultants runs back to back sessions. Some can only have the room for a certain space of time, and it's actually timed so that the new member talk is done during group weigh in (30mins) which is weigh a member of the social team weighs in.

If you don't want to sit and wait and talk to others then go towards the end of the weigh in schedule so that you sit down just as Image Therapy starts.

I feel for your consultant. It's hard thinking of 20/30/40+ different phrases for people!!!

Back