I've decided not to go back to group.

I posted a very similar post the other day. Our hall is needed after 1.5 hrs so a newbie talk is not possible after group. Before I became a member of the social team I really enjoyed the time after weigh in before IT talking and chatting to people as we sat waiting for everyone to be weighed. But I suppose it depends what sort of person you are. I could chat for England ha ha

I think the more integrated into the group you are and the more of yourself you invest in the support culture the more you get out of group, I used to go to group on my own for the first year and a half of my SW journey and I used to go nearer the end of weigh in so I didn;t have to sit for a long time, but the more you go, the more people know you and are more inclined to chat to you,, there's nothing stopping anyone chatting to anyone else except your own inhibitions. By listening to what people are saying in group when its their turn it sometimes gives you a clue on how to start a conversation next time.

Same as Hollys nan I'm a target member so I don't have to go but I do because I see the value in the support that group gives xx

Also just as an added mention. We have queues building up long before the weigh in time. I think members wonder why we dont start pay and weigh, but head office from what I believe anyway, stipulate that you cant start pay until the correct alloted time. I know it must seem stupid that we are sat there and the queue is getting bigger and bigger, but the rules are the rules.

I think the more integrated into the group you are and the more of yourself you invest in the support culture the more you get out of group, I used to go to group on my own for the first year and a half of my SW journey and I used to go nearer the end of weigh in so I didn;t have to sit for a long time, but the more you go, the more people know you and are more inclined to chat to you,, there's nothing stopping anyone chatting to anyone else except your own inhibitions. By listening to what people are saying in group when its their turn it sometimes gives you a clue on how to start a conversation next time.

Same as Hollys nan I'm a target member so I don't have to go but I do because I see the value in the support that group gives xx

You said it perfectly :) I'm not a very outgoing person IRL but once I got over myself and started talking to people I found the group to be invaluable. They are a wonderful bunch, supporting me through what is not a particularly easy time of my life and I try my best to offer support in return.

To me IT is about the group, not just the consultant and whilst a good consultant is important, the willingness of the group to engage with the consultant and each other is crucial. :)

I did it on my own before but totally failed (says more about me than doing the plan on your own) - all I can say is I did well but didn't keep it up. I have just started going to group this year and I really think both my group and consultant are very supportive and helpful. The class can go on sometimes but I actually find it helpful and I like to clap the people who have done really well. I have surprised myself with how much I've liked group and I'm hoping it will be the difference between me staying on plan and reaching target and giving up half way through and putting it back on rinse and repeat... No guarantees obviously but I have found it affects my motivation positively.

I just want a diet programme and weigh in. Support can only come if I can make suggestions to fit what I need and that means changing the way the session is organised. I'm a bit closed to group interaction at the moment and will be for a while as I lost my mum last month and don't have much resources to give to other people's worries, which seem so minor compared to my overwhelming sadness ..... So, you see, it's not as easy as getting back what you put in, at least, not for me.

So very sorry to read this horsey gal. Its not easy when you have lost your mum. I lost mine 6 years ago so I know how you feel. x

I just want a diet programme and weigh in. Support can only come if I can make suggestions to fit what I need and that means changing the way the session is organised. I'm a bit closed to group interaction at the moment and will be for a while as I lost my mum last month and don't have much resources to give to other people's worries, which seem so minor compared to my overwhelming sadness ..... So, you see, it's not as easy as getting back what you put in, at least, not for me.

im so very sorry for your loss.
xx

xxx

That must be very difficult for you and of course every situation is different. Naturally diet problems will seem trivial to you - because they are in the face of real sadness. I'm very sorry to hear you are going through such a painful time x

I find staying to group really helps...male 42 in a class of 30-40 women love it lol.....we are all friends and a few of us get together for a meal every 5-6 weeks....without the support of group i dont think i could stick at it.
Sorry for your loss Horsey gal i know what your going through after losing my dad and best mate not that long ago... x

This week I went to a different group for WI as was busy. This other group was so friendly and for the short time my sister and I were there we felt so welcome. We're considering changing to that group and staying for IT next time.

sorry to hear about your loss Horsey gal, and of course every situation and person is different, you must do what right for you at the time hun, take care of you xx

Its really interesting to see other peoples views of the group sessions.

My first group that i joined up with I did find quite challenging as being a bloke and the only one there, walking in for the very first time was one of the toughest things I have ever done. But I was made to feel at home very quickly. I began to get involved straight away as I love searching the net for recipes etc and was always voicing my opinions to the group on new stuff even though I was quite new.

I then changed groups (to where I am now) as I did start to find the old group sessions quite dull but this new group is so different and I find it an integral element to my weight loss planning, the group part is everything to me, I am actually now part of the social team which I love and I do all the weigh in's and all the ladies seem to be fine with me doing it , but I always ask any new members if there are ok with a guy weighing them.

The group is so behind me in my goal and really make a difference as does the C, I guess each to their own , but I love going to group as I have so many new friends there now.

if you cant go or dont want to go to a group i highly reccommend slimming world online, its only £20 a month and you get access to everything on the website, i go on it at least 5 times a day and i know its keeping me on the right track, i dont think i could do it without it, tried before and failed! xx

Back