I've eaten...

I also used to eat Alpen lights all the time - got sick of them eventually and can't face another one anymore!

My jaw was aching, my mouth was all cut inside (they're so sharp! and chewy!) - i reckon they're something you grow out of eventually. I never used to have hifi bars because you could have 2 alpen lights instead, but the hifi bars are soooooooo much nicer, i much prefer them now!!

Earlybird, I imagine she's told you only 6 because you don't have far to go with your loss. It used to be many years ago that they would tell everyone how many to have depending on their weight but it seems to be left open now. Minimum of 5 but up to you if you want to use 15.

9 Alpen Light bars today!!! Green day, 2x HEXB's and 5 for my syn allowance. This is bad but still on plan, will it affect my loss.

Circes - I think Victoria meant 5 BARS for her syns which makes the 15 total syns plus the 4 for the 2 HEXB's - making 9 bars altogether!!!

Earlybird, I imagine she's told you only 6 because you don't have far to go with your loss. It used to be many years ago that they would tell everyone how many to have depending on their weight but it seems to be left open now. Minimum of 5 but up to you if you want to use 15.

Hey Laura,

My C told me to have 20 syns a day as I have lots to lose...have you ever encountered this? I did it all last week and lost 6.5lbs, but last night only lost 0.5....I'm gonna try 15 a day this week, feel a bit weird having 20 syns on top of all the free food.

OP, I agree, if you're hungry go for fruit or free salad/meal. I like Alpen lights to an extent, but I prefer Hi-fi bars. I think it's the novelty of being able to have 2 for 1 HEB.

Hi Christiana, I've never known anyone in my SW classes who has more than 15 per day but this may have changed, I'm not sure? Have you checked the website? I'd be happy to have a little look for you? x

Oh and to update you on my "Alpen light binge-athon" I made sure I did an hour's worth of body magic at a body attack aerobics class last night - I'm sure that will have dealt with at least 5 of those nasty little bars. Note to self: 2x weetabix and 2x Nimle bread today (Green day) NO ALPEN BARS!!!!! Have a successful day everyone!

ok you had a blip and the thing is its not worth beating your self up about it its gone and there is nothing you can do about so don't feel bad it could of been worse you could have eaten worse
it does say some where in the book or web site about having the more than 15 syns if you are extremely overweight i have read it

Last edited:
I'm impressed!!!! 9 alpine light bars??? And seemingly no side effects to talk of? Or are you being polite.....lol
I remember when the bars were first added as a HE b and I went berserk with them, like you, I just loved them. I clearly remember being on a training day at work and having the most horrendous stomach pains, not to mention that real loud grumbling noise that often goes with wind pain. I couldn't wait to get home and spent most of the evening on the loo, ohhhh never again!!

Hey Laura,

My C told me to have 20 syns a day as I have lots to lose...have you ever encountered this? I did it all last week and lost 6.5lbs, but last night only lost 0.5....I'm gonna try 15 a day this week, feel a bit weird having 20 syns on top of all the free food.

Hi Christiana, I have heard of it. In fact it used to be the rule years ago that those who needed to lose a great deal of weight had more syns than those with only a few stone to lose. It actually makes sense if you look at it from a calorie in/out point of view (just to confuse things further:p). Just lying in bed we burn an awful lot more calories than our thinner friends and our bodies need a certain number of calories to keep us out of starvation mode, this means we need something to reduce as we near target. With more syns we can reduce them as the months and years go by. If I were to go on a 1000 cal diet then what happens when I have lost 15 stone and hit a plateau, do I then reduce it to 800 just so I can lose more? See what I mean? The greater calorie intake can be achieved with free food though, you and I probably eat more than someone who is 12 stone for example. I think the change made it simpler, everyone has the same number but I actually agree there is nothing wrong with offering more syns to very over weight people.

Personally I haven't been told to have more but I know that it happens, I really like my C but she isn't the most 'in touch' person around so I'm not surprised she hasn't said anything. Men are sometimes told to have more syns so you aren't alone.

I don't know what the official guideline's are about this. We always hear 5-15 but I wouldn't be surprised if C's are told to have a quiet word with the very overweight and tell them differently.

Well done on your 6.5 that's fantastic! Sorry about this last week, I don't think the added syns you are having would be enough to alter the weight loss by that amount though so it could just be one of those frustrating times there's no reason. I've had a fair few of those weeks too.

Have whatever syns you feel happy with. Your C won't have told you to have more without a good reason so perhaps just be a bit flexible with it. If you go over 15 some days don't fret but if you don't feel you need them all every day then stick with 15. Hope that helps!

Edit: Just read that back and it might be confusing so you can ignore me lol. Sorry if it seems i've hijacked the thread too!

No problem Laura, thanks for the advice!

Just wanted to add, my C wrote to me just after I joined SW to tell me to have 20 syns a day. I think she wanted to do it privately, as not to draw attention to it in class.

Back