I've finally managed a successful return to SS. and I think I've discovered the KEY!

alipally

Serial Dieter!
Over the past 7 days, I've been wondering why, now, have I finally been able to get myself back onto SS after such a long, long time of struggling with it. When I say a long time I mean years

Let me enlighten you.... I first lost 7 stones on SS in 2005 and became a counsellor at the beginning of 2006. I never got down to my 'ideal' weight but I was happy with a BMI of 27.... it was the slimmest I've been in more than a decade!
Any way things were going well and then.. I went on a trip to Florida. Disaster struck, a 21lb gain in 14 days:copon: (Sound familiar to anyone??? From there I went on to regain every single lb I'd lost and by March 2007 I was right back where I started!

My weight gain was sporadic, bought on by 2 or sometimes 3 days of SS followed by 2 or 3 weeks of fairly constant bingeing then a period of 'sensible eating' and a couple of trips to WW to try and regain a bit of control... NOTHING was getting me back 'in the zone' (again, does this sound familiar???) :break_diet:

During all of the time I was still counselling, and successfully getting my clients to target, with a couple even making it to the National press....
The turning point came when a new client arrived at my home one Saturday morning in March..., I texted her a few times during her first week, as was my usual practice but only got one word responses.... she didn't come the next week. So, I telephoned her to see why she hadn't turned up, her words will be forever etched on my heart they really cut that deep.....

"I really can't take advice from anyone who so obviously cannot keep her own greed under control"

I really don't know what happened to that woman, but those were the last words she said to me....

I decided that I couldn't keep on gaining, but equally, I really couldn't face SS so I proceeded to lose 3.5stones on the 1200 calorie plan. I read Gillian Riley's book 'eating less' and that helped me to get control of my food intake. It took me 19 months to manage this. I wasn't perfect by any means hence the time limit... but everytime I was about the throw in the towel, that comment kept creeping into my mind.

Anyway, my weightloss plateau'd mid 2008 and I found that I didn't much mind, being this size, it wasn't awful and I found that I actually liked myself.
We went travelling last September and I was very ill on our journey with a dental absess... I lost another stone and a half and when we got home, it just stayed off...

Then last month OH announced that he was going abroad to work on a project, I sat here alone and it got me to wondering.... I would really really like to get back into those smaller size clothes that have been hiding under my bed for the last couple of years :eek:

So now I'm working TOWARDS being slim and TOWARDS surprising my hubby on his return!.... When I did it the first time. All of my motivation was getting AWAY from what I'd become... it was enough the first time, but failed to motivate me when I tried to gain control again.

What I think I'm trying to say is that you need something to look FORWARD TO. Particularly if it's a restart after a successful weightloss with SS.

I really hope you find success this time Alipally! It is sometimes the hurtful things people say that focus us the most, as a cdc it is even more important you are able to practice what you preach. We are only human though and blips do happen!
It is wonderful to see you are feeling more positive. Good luck with your re-start!!

Day 7 today.... I'm planning on doing 6 weeks and completing the 2 stone challenge...

it will take me back up to the magical Century Club!!!

Keep at it and well done on getting back in the zone!

I have been slightly off task since my b'day dinner on the weekend and I have a WI on Thursday. Lots of water for me I have nibbled Sun, Mon and now Tues.....

Bren
X

Alli,

You are so right, I was nodding my head the whole way through your post. I am now in week three and on holiday and I can honestly say it has never been easier. I have a task ahead to get this weight off do that surgery is easier but I am really looking forward to coming back here next year and wearing my bikini by the pool and not just on the patio of the private apartment! lol

Good luck for your restart, I know your head is in the game and you are choosing to do this rather than feeling you have to!

Perhaps you should text the client and say Thank you for helping you to 'control your greed' lol would love to know the response!

Anne-Marie xx

Oh Ally, that makes so much sense. It's amazing how negative comments stay with us whereas we brush asides the positives.

Great to see you are rejuvenated and ready to give it your all. Well done on your 1st wi losses and good luck.

It is really interesting reading and I totally agree that having a goal helps focus the mind to achieve - end of August isn't too far away.

hey alipally.

hope i didnt upset yest. i didnt mean to... i guess we all have our own opinions about everything. the joys of an open forum.

how you getting on? when is weigh in day?

here is to another successful ss day x

Absolutely no offence taken. I really enjoy a good debate!

(I'm quite a stirrer really!) :eek:

oh good good, i must say i become a little more heated (or should i say opinionated lol) when i am not eating!!!

all this excess energy needs to be used up when i am ss'ing!!!!

well done on week 1 loss. fabby!

Ali,

Reading this was like I had written it (apart from the CDC bit).

Anyway, just wanted to say that you are doing brilliantly and that you inspire me to keep going! x

Remembered reading this thread when I was a lurker!

I think it struck a chord with me as I too lost lots of weight on another VLCD a few years back only to put them back on in the blink of an eye. I have kept asking myself where I went wrong since then :eek:.

This time its definitely because of the things I DO want to achieve by being a healthy weight, and not the things I DON'T want to be by being overweight (if that makes sense!!)

Maybe though those things go together in some form. I know I don't want to be big and hate walking out the front door. I Know I don't want to be big and feel like I can't lift my head off of the pillow in the morning. I know I don't want to live in about three items of clothing anymore because I can't stand clothes shopping.

I do want, however, to know I can open my front door and step outside without being anxious. I do want to be fit and healthy and enjoy any activity I choose to do. And I do want to have a selection of clothing suitable for different occasions without feeling embarrassed about wearing the dame old dingy things:sigh:.

Mmmm, maybe concentrating on the things we do want will help us to - to a certain extent - maintain afterwards. I remember from last time how easily I forgot how I felt when I was at my biggest so therefore that motivation disappeared. Concentrating on the things I do want might be the easier way as we will have what we've strived for. I know its not as simple as that but just trying to pick through my thoughts with a fine toothed comb.

I don't want to screw up this time!!

Hope to chat lots more - I need people here I can pick my brain with:D.

Love

Amanda

:)

I started cd End of Dec 08, I lost 3 1/2 stone and got to 11st1lb, was soo pleased I brought a dress for hubbys graduation in May in a 14 and I had to get it taken in I was sooo happy.

But slowly, only 3 months later, after trying to follow sw:rolleyes: but so much choice, I am now maintaining 11st7lb, still okay but not happy as I never did reach my goal.

Going on Holiday on Monday, a lovely walking, cycling one, kids are going to Grandma's. I know I will enjoy the hols:D

But when I get back, I am going to get back onto CD, it worked, I enjoyed being in control, which is what I feel I lack control!! With cd it's easy, if you have more than the ss+ (as I was on) allowence you cheated:p

Will be returning soon, and will keep you updated with my journey:flirt2:

I wrote this thread a couple of weeks ago now and have only just revisited it.
Thanks to everyone who posted, it's nice to hear that I'm not alone on 'my planet'! :rolleyes:

I'm on day 25 today and have been 100% throughout, with no effort whatsoever... Had a couple of moments when I could have eaten, but I chose not to.... after all the world isn't going to run out of any type of food soon.... and Tesco's is open 24/7! So whatever it was that I looked at, it will still be available once I reach goal!
I have to say that my weightloss on SS has been much slower this time round... but I'm not worried, and I'm not in a tearing hurry either.
I know what I want. I have a clear picture in my head that I 'tune into' everyday before I get up and everynight before I go to sleep.
And my life isn't 'on pause' until I get there this time either! I go out to restaurants with friends. I bake cakes for my son. I catch up with friends over a coffee.
This diet is hard work if you let it rule your life, if you fit it around your life it becomes simple and effortless.

Ali, have never read your posts before, but found this thread SO inspiring. It is like a big warning to me, as I have just hauled myself out of a few weeks of binge/starve cycle, trying to stay at target. And I don't want to go back to where I was, I REALLY don't, but could see it happening.

Your story is bittersweet but SO inspiring because you have come back fighting, worked back to where you wanted to be (or almost). And I think that will make you a better CDC at the end of the day because not all CDCs have a scooby what we go through with our food issues. Mine sadly doesn't. Use the experience and learn from it - well, I know that you have already. Wish you LOTS of luck with the rest of your journey, not that luck will be needed.

And thanks for your honesty, which has really hit home for me.

xxx

Back