Dismiss Notice
Welcome to MiniMins! Be sure to check out our complete listing of diets on the front page including Slimming World, Exante, Weight Watchers, Cambridge Weight Plan, Herbalife, and hundreds more.

I've just discovered the wonderful world that is buying the right size clothing!!

Discussion in 'Cambridge Weight Plan' started by Caz, 7 May 2009 Social URL.

1. Caz

Caz Slimming down the aisle

Start Weight:
    19st1.5lb
    Current Weight:
    18st6.8lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st8.7lb(3.25%)
    Diet:
    Calorie Counting / SML / Orlistat
    I've never really sat down and tried to work out what size I am before. I guess I haven't really wanted to, it's not that nice when you're young and getting bigger! But being measured by my CDC has given me those measurements to have a look and I've just discovered how confusing it is!! I always buy size 24, generally. I figure that's the jeans that fit me, that's everything.

However I've looked just at a few size guides and it now is rather confusing! lol Bust wise I'm an 18-20. Waist wise I'm a 20-22 and hip wise I'm just a 24 almost 22. That's a rather large range and I'm quite glad I'm not trying to find a well fitted dress!! So far I've lost 5 inches from my waist and 4 from my bust but only 2 from my hips. I'm hoping my hips catch up next week! If they don't soon clothes will be a nightmare!!

I've always bought fairly frumpy clothes. Well, not frumpy. But loose fitting, trying to hide my lumps and bumps. But all I've probably been doing is making me look like a tent!! But maybe I should try some smaller tops and see how I go.

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. soon2bslimmer

soon2bslimmer Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st12lb
    Current Weight:
    16st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st8lb
    Lost(%):
    0st12lb(5.08%)
    Diet:
    Exante
    I used to buy baggy things to cover up, nice & loose fitting was what I used to look for, usually in Evans :eek:. Not anymore!! But now there is another whole world of shops to consider and the way their sizes vary is mind boggling :(. I've been buying jeans from M&S, Per Una bootcut which are stretchy and come in a longer length. At my biggest I needed a 20 :(. A few weeks back I managed to get into a 14, :) weyhey I thought. Then earlier this week I went in and tried a 12 and it fitted :D. But then I tried one of those Boyfriend pairs of jeans in the sale in a 12, and they would not go past my hips :eek:. Yesterday I went looking for a dress to wear out to a special lunch next week. In House of Fraser I had to go upto a size 16 for the dress to fit :eek:. Back in good old M&S I found a gorgeous linen dress in a 14 that fit, and a very flattering jersey dress in a 12 that fit :D.

So, moral of the story, clothes shopping is a minefield, sizes vary hugely between stores. :)

Soon2bslimmer x

4. Lexie_dog

Lexie_dog UNLEASHING THE BEAST!

Start Weight:
    15st12.5lb
    Current Weight:
    15st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st3.5lb(1.57%)
    Diet:
    SW, minimal bread!
    Well I would heartily recommend going out shopping then!

Try places like Evans, New Look and Primark (I think I see they have started going up to a 20 in some things but not a huge range)

Get something fitted. All baggy stuff does is hang off your widest point and make you look blocky. I have boobs, so even though I am a size 14 on bottom, if its a fitted top I need a 16, as a loose top just hangs from boobs and makes me look like a solid square of flesh

Fitted is the way to go.

Go, have a wee scour of ebay too and see what you can find.

5. Lexie_dog

Lexie_dog UNLEASHING THE BEAST!

Start Weight:
    15st12.5lb
    Current Weight:
    15st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st3.5lb(1.57%)
    Diet:
    SW, minimal bread!
    p.s when I was at my biggest size 20-22, I looked like Spongebob squarepants if I wore anything non fitted. A huge square block on top and these (not so) wee legs paddling furiously underneath.

6. Caz

Caz Slimming down the aisle

Start Weight:
    19st1.5lb
    Current Weight:
    18st6.8lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st8.7lb(3.25%)
    Diet:
    Calorie Counting / SML / Orlistat
    Didn't Primark used to go to 20-22? Or have I made that up?! I still don't really like going shopping though, it just frustrates me! I don't think I'll have gone down a size in trousers yet as my hips are still fairly wide being a 24 while my waist is a 20ish. It's extremely annoying!! Make finding jeans that fit quite difficult as they're often rather loose around my waist. But hopefully it also means that if I can drop some inches from my hips I would drop sizes quite quickly. But who knows, we'll see how it goes I guess!

7. polishrose

polishrose Gold Member

Start Weight:
    21st8lb
    Current Weight:
    19st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st11lb
    Lost(%):
    2st2lb(9.93%)
    Diet:
    exantecambridge
    I have the same problem with sizes!I am bigger size wise on my hips than my waist so I have to buy bigger sizes to fit my hips and then get Mum to sew the waist or I have 3 inches of material spare in the waist which is really uncomfortable.

8. Uggnboo

Uggnboo Full Member

Start Weight:
    18st0lb
    Current Weight:
    16st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st11lb
    Lost(%):
    1st3lb(6.75%)
    Diet:
    SS
    I always find that buying clothes are a nightmare. If I get something for one of the cheap shops I'm always bigger (which doesn't feel good) but take a smaller size in Evans!

Looking forward to having every shop on the high street available to me.

9. haggard_hannah

haggard_hannah Proud to be a Loser!

Diet:
    Cambridge
    I seem to have the opposite problem - my hips are always smaller than my waist so it looks like I have saddle bags! :D

I recently brought some new clothes that actually fit - I'm a size 18 everywhere I've tried now, hallelujah!! xx

10. kelsocool

kelsocool Speaks as she finds

Start Weight:
    20st1lb
    Current Weight:
    12st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    7st6lb(37.01%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge
    i am now in a 16 in most shops......woo hoo (from a 22-24) BUT believe me, with this slimming malarky comes not having any money!!!! i never used to have hardly any clothes but now i have got LOADS, i used to always wear my work clothes and now i dont even like wearing them for work!!! i have just got home a while ago and i have already stripped and got my nice clothes on!! well....you cant be seen in a BMW (my slimming present to myself) in crappy clothes!! well thats my theory and i m sticking to it!!! lol

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.