Ive upset my husband help me pleeeeease :)

FionaMcd

Gold Member
Ok so my darling beatiful husband needs to lose weight he went to the doctor with pains in his leg and was told quite frankly to lose weight and take up swimming as it is sciatica (spelling??)
Thing is he has been eating some sw meals as I refuse to cook 3 different meals and to be honest he enjoys them just he works shifts and doesn't get to eat with me all the time... Bread is an issue when I told him in the store he needed 400g brown loaf he looked at me as if I'd just killed his best mate and then proceeded to whine about how he was jst going to starve!! Ugh so dramatic lol. I gave him my old s w book to have a read and he didn't even bother so I'm starting to get a little ticked off I am by no means perfect (raid the biscuit and chocolate more often than is necessary!!) but my health wasn't an issue!!
He is currently 15 stones 1 according to home scales. And is 5 feet10 so not sure what is ideal weight but I think 2 stones will be a great start!!
Main drama is he's so anti veg. Honestly he drives me nuts!! Fruit he loves but veggies he melts down if he sees a chopped onion lol. He does eat some like peppers tomato butternut carrots broccoli.
I know he should want it for himself but he's playing up and I so wear the pants and am bossy enough to kick him up bum lol so just couple of suggestions really please!!
Sorry to waffle on so much :) x

I got sciatica when I was pregnant - painful! I would pick a day where your both together and make him eat exactly what you eat, snacks etc and show him that he can do a full day and doesn't have to starve. I'm not quite over the bread thing myself, I syn white bread lol!
Get a list of veg he likes and try and work round it adding the odd bit he doesn't like - I grate carrot and celery into cottage pie/spag bol and no-one has noticed. I also do the swede and carrot topped pie instead of using potatoes - much nicer and superfree!

If he doesn't like veg, could you not do the old 'mum trick' and just sneak it into pasta sauces and curries pureed? At least then you know they're going in!! Otherwise, maybe SW isn't for him? If he hasn't read the book and doesn't seem to want to- he's not going to know how to follow the plan when you're not around and maybe has no inclination to... I think it's impossible to get it right when you're just guessing. Before SW I used to think choosing a 'light' egg mayonnaise sandwich on wholemeal was saintly. How wrong could I have been!!

In a way you're probably doing as much as you can by cooking the meals, but otherwise someone's got to want to do it for themselves I think. Is he able to exercise, maybe swimming if sciatica is bad? I think a lot of men prefer to eat semi sensibly but are more likely to want to sweat their beloved bread/lager/pizza off? Just a thought :)

Sorry to hear about your husbands health, I think the trick hear is to show your husband it's not all about eating veg, I can't stand veg too and still find loads to eat. You could try and make tuna pasta bake, rice dishes, stuffed peppers, omelette, curries or slimming world chips with meat. And pop a third on of the veg he eats or make him a pudding or fruit to get the third supper free. Their is a lovely recipie for free banana ice cream which I'm trying today. Once he see's the meals he gets and realises he doesn't have to starve and it will help his health :) x

Thanks for your suggestions he home today so cooking a sw friendly roast see darlin you can eat properly lol :) it's gotten so bad that last Sunday he needed crutches!!! He's being a little cooperative opting to walk to asda 15 mins each way and he took lite soda stream instead of buying Cokes etc at work just gotta get him in the swing of it I honestly think that when he starts losing it'll spur him on :) i have even resorted to bribing saying ill buy him a new wardrobe on my next acc :) the lengths a wife goes to honestly!!! X

Also if he loves pizza theirs a great way to make it with warbutons wraps and very healthy
Their huge filling and just pop on what he likes :) x

Attachments

• image-503160131.jpg
    image-503160131.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 203
  • image-2292691577.jpg
    image-2292691577.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 229
He LOVES pizza!! Im gonna get him some of those wraps. Will be handy for taking to work.. I'm a little sneaky with courgettes lol I chop them super tiny and just accidentally on purpose drop them in :) thinking of veg he does it its quite a bit. And he likes things like prawns and crab big meat lover (ahem I think that's my fault) I'm just gonna have to put on my game face and just deal with the tantrums lol. I talked to him about it and sw is the one he seems most keen on??? Ugh as if I don't have enough on my plate :) I love him and need him healthy x

We have had the chat about it and I was very honestly and direct he really needs to lose the weight and he gets hurt when people comment about it he has agreed that its what is best but it was the bread thing that made him think that he was gonna starve lol.
I made him a little deal just try it for a couple months for Imogen and I and then if he hates it and is really not happy then he can do his own thing. X

FionaMcd said:
We have had the chat about it and I was very honestly and direct he really needs to lose the weight and he gets hurt when people comment about it he has agreed that its what is best but it was the bread thing that made him think that he was gonna starve lol.
I made him a little deal just try it for a couple months for Imogen and I and then if he hates it and is really not happy then he can do his own thing. X

Great, hope he has a good go at it. Must be a really tough situation to be in x

ScarlettStar86 said:
[QUOTE="suzie290304"Their is a lovely recipie for free banana ice cream which I'm trying today.

If this is the pureed frozen banana and milk it isn't free just to let you know. Pureed fruit must always be synned x[/QUOTE]

Thanks I always forget it's synned if pureed lol, got 2 bananas in freezer so might give it a try and see if it's any good. Don't mind synning bananas if it tastes like nice ice cream :) x

Lots of good advice here :)

He doesn't have to have the 400g bread you know. I can understand why he might think they are a bit paltry. You can have 60g of any wholemeal bread so he can also have the big slices. There are some (morrisons own brand medium slice I think) where two big slices weigh 60g. Personally I weigh two big slices and syn anything over the 60g so it usually only works out at one or two syns.

By the way, those wraps up thread are 8 syns each, just in case you were thinking they were a HEB.

As for the veggies, what about soups where you can blend the veggies to nothing, same with sauces and then work up to including grated veggies, but honestly you can do a lot with the ones he already likes :)

That is a good idea thank you I don't mind about bread too much so it never occurred to me that they may look like "girlie" sandwiches :) are those square things quite big? So half each or they pretty small not worth 4 syns each?? X

That is a good idea thank you I don't mind about bread too much so it never occurred to me that they may look like "girlie" sandwiches :) are those square things quite big? So half each or they pretty small not worth 4 syns each?? X

When i do the square wrap pizzas I do half each and serve with a huge portion of potato wedges and salad.

That's super thanks I'll get some from asda x

Why don't you start him on the Original plan if he loves his meat/fish and not too fussed on the veg/fruit side of things. Ideally he should still eat 1/3 superfree on Original, but he doesn't HAVE to- and he would have an extra HE Aand B if he wanted, so extra bread if he chose it....

nona
x

I'll put it past him to do the reds. So far today all slimming world friendly and he says he hasn't felt hungry at all. I'm so proud :) x

I'm not being funny, but it sounds like you are talking about a child, not an adult- eg his tantrums, and having to 'hide' veg by chopping it up! A man at the group I attend has no idea how the plan works, because his wife plans and cooks every meal, and when asked by the C about healthy extras, syns etc doesn't even know what they are. She prepares his packed lunches for work, and chooses his meals at restaurants etc It's embarrassing!
I'm glad your OH is agreeing to follow the plan, but maybe you should step back and take on the supportive role of wife, and not the nurturing role of mother. I don't mean to sound negative and critical, but I think for him to be successful in the long term, he needs to take control and not have to rely on you to work the plan out for him.

lardylady said:
I'm not being funny, but it sounds like you are talking about a child, not an adult- eg his tantrums, and having to 'hide' veg by chopping it up! A man at the group I attend has no idea how the plan works, because his wife plans and cooks every meal, and when asked by the C about healthy extras, syns etc doesn't even know what they are. She prepares his packed lunches for work, and chooses his meals at restaurants etc It's embarrassing!
I'm glad your OH is agreeing to follow the plan, but maybe you should step back and take on the supportive role of wife, and not the nurturing role of mother. I don't mean to sound negative and critical, but I think for him to be successful in the long term, he needs to take control and not have to rely on you to work the plan out for him.

I think it depends on what kind of relationship you have. My mam always cooks for my dad and cooks and prepares every meal when he's on slimming world. Which doesn't mean she's treating him like a child, it was just the done thing up until recently. Still a lot of couples choose to do this and theirs nothing wrong with that :) if it works for them then great, why change what works x

Back