Jacket potato calories query

ChubLock

Silver Member
Today I had a 225g (raw weight) white potato for my lunch. All the contents on MFP state different calories...one saying 225 calories, one at 175 and another at 165. Can anyone shed any light on what the accurate calorie content may be? Many thanks.

Did the potatoe come in a labelled bag?

When I buy them from the supermarket I buy the ones in the bags instead of the loose ones and the bags have the nutritional value per 100g on them

I know that different baking potatoes I have bought have had different amounts of calories per 100g in them which is probably why MFP has so many different options

Yeah, I get the ones in the bags too. Not got any in at the moment though to check what it is though.

just checked mfp. the asda ones are 109cals per 100g. You could go by that as an estimate if you want.

The last ones I had were 150 odd for 100g

Think it depends where they are from

Nutritional information is allowed to be out. Calories can be up to 20% more or 20% less than what it says on packaging.

Calorie counting is great as it averages out as some labels are over estimating calories, some under estimate and some are correct but legally it can be up to 20% either way out so never worry about being a few calories over or under.

I come across this on a website which i think is quite helpful as i had the same problem:)

Before you embark on your low-calorie potato topping adventure—A whopper of a potato, before toppings, can have more calories than a 6-ounce sirloin steak (though none of the saturated fat). The bigger the potato, the more topping acreage: Use small potatoes for side dishes, large spuds if you're going to make them into an entrée.

Small (1-3/4" to 2-1/2" diameter): 150 calories

Medium (2-1/4" to 3-1/4"): 190 calories

Large (3" to 4-1/4"): 325 calories

Extra-large (4-1/2" to 6"): 512 calories

hi im just having a nose around deciding wat diet to try. we was told 50g potato is 40cals i think xx

Back