January 2009 - Starters

Way to go T-I xxxx

HAPPY NEW YEAR AND ANNIVERSARY EVERYONE!!!

Lovely to hear how everyone's doing, I like many have been a bit naughty over Christmas but on a detox now since Monday so feel back in control ... have joined the refocus thread in maintainers section!

Wishing you all loads of luck in your plans whether maintaining or shifting ... Happy 2010!!

x

Happy New Year everyone :D

I think in the last year we have all done fantastically well :D

Personally, I am grateful I'm not in the position I was in last year. Although it was an exciting and liberating experience starting LL, I would not relish the thought of going through it again :rolleyes:

However, I must admit I am not at goal weight any longer :eek: and to be honest I would ideally like to lose another 2 stone. I contemplated going back to packs over the Xmas period when, like many people, I "let rip" and felt awful. However I have joined Slimming World instead. The prospect of a "conventional" diet this time last year when I had so much to lose was too daunting but this year my priorities have changed.

My problem is, and always has been, "laziness" when it comes to eating. Most of my food is convenient grab and go food which as a result is more often than not highly calorific and very fatty. I think SW is good for making you cook from scratch and therefore eat healthily.

TI, I understand what you say about learning from CBT, I wonder myself whether I learnt anything at all :confused:

However, I think it's not just about learning about what's going on inside your head, but also about breaking habits. I've relied on easy food for so long that preparing/eating anything else just doesn't come naturally. I'm not saying that I don't "eat with my head" ie comfort eating, even when I'm not hungry but those times I do make choices (after all we've all got to eat sometimes) I tend to go back to the old faithful "bad" things I've always eaten.

For me LL was a life saver but I admit it is definately the ultimate in "convenience" food lol. Time for me to break those habits and learn something different :)

Sorry but this turned out to be a bit of a longer post than I intended :eek:

LOL T_I & WG, but that's the whole point, don't you see?

We HAVE learned (all be it maybe not as much as we may have liked), that's why we've all come back 12 months on having recognised the early warning signs and are doing something about it :)

Can you see how different this is to just 'going back to eating as before' which is why so many people end up just as heavy (or worse) after losing weight? So what if we've had a few bumps along the road, the whole point is that it IS a journey and we learn as much or more from our mistakes as we do when everything is going swimmingly!

We are all in a better place than last year, mostly significantly better so something must have sunk in at a subconscious level :)

A few bumps (lol)

So what if we've had a few bumps along the road, the whole point is that it IS a journey and we learn as much or more from our mistakes as we do when everything is going swimmingly!

All so true Sean.

Hi all, hope you're all good!
Its been a while again!
I just wanted to share my blog with you, its all about lighterlife, weight loss and fitness etc from a normal girl's point of view. I hope you'll take a look and maybe relate to it a little, after all we've all been through the same thing :)
Lady Gluttony
Take care :) xxx
p.s i hope all is well with everyone, i've not had much chance to catch up on this board for a little while! x

LOL - can't believe this thread is still a 'sticky'.

Today is exactly 2 years since finishing LL and staring RTM

How time flys :)

Hi sean!
Blimey, 2 years. I wish I could turn back the clock sometimes - I was so focussed back then!
2.5 stones heavier and kicking myself everyday about my lack of self control!!!
How are you getting on?
daisy x

Hi Sean, Hi Daisy,
You'll do it again, Summer's on the way. xxx

Hi Daisy,

Seriously, you don't wish to turn back time. Life's too short to have regrets, live for today & enjoy tomorrow, reflect & learn from yesterday (or something like that).

I'm actually really good thanks. Like everyone I've gained weight from my lightest and I'm about 10lb bigger than I'd really like (but still many stone lighter than I was), but I think it's all part of life's adventure.

I don't watch what I eat especially at times, but then I'll have a period of 2-3 weeks when I'm very conscious & cut back. This combines with at least 30 mins -1Hr exercise per day seems to keep me at a fairly steady level.

I have to say though that I don't think that whatever weight you are we'll be truely 'happy' with our size (or at least not for long) as humans are competitive by nature and always looking for something bigger/better (smaller?).

Still, how are youall?

Daisy, are you back on LL - looking at your ticker it would seem so.
S/B - looking great as usual :)

Anymore 'old lags' out there want to say "Hi" ?

:)

hmmm - i started back sort of a couple of weeks ago, but have come off again. I'm so not in the right place at the moment!
i will get back there again ....
it sounds like you are doing everything right tho - good on you, i;m really pleased for you!
i will take inspiration from you - I can do it!!!
daisy x

Hi Daisy, Sean, TI and SB

Thought I would say hi - I couldnt believe this sticky was still on and people posting but glad I noticed it!!

I had a very interesting year - ended up putting on nearly 3st of the 3st 10lbs that I originally lost and from what i know of the others who were in the same group as me back in Jan 09 I was lucky not to have put it all back on!!
I'm glad some have managed to crack it first time round though on here - I just hope that my journey starts to become a little more disciplined soon as I seem to either be dieting (fasting LL style - although I have found a cheaper version which has loads more pack varieties) or pigging out!!
Others have done it though - so hopefully I will learn to keep it off soon! Ever the optimist :)
xx

Hi Jazzy,
Lovely to see you back here. Are you wanting to lose weight for the summery weather on the way?
As you say - many of us are still around. Either we are sad and need a life - or - it helps us keep on track! xxx

HI JB

Great to hear from you. Your story is not unusual TBH I think we all put some weight on it's just a matter of how much we 'allow' ourselves before taking control, then getting into a routine that keeps the Peaks & Troughs at manageable/acceptable levels.

Please don't anyone think that I've not had the same challenges, in fact I still have a low cal/carb oatmeal most mornings, and often something similar at lunchtime (at least in the office as it's quick, easy and allows me time for a 30 minute walk as well).

I do wonder though if we set unrealistic targets on LL. I KNOW I was too light at the end of RTM, but still on a subconscious level long to be back there. I suspect this is worse for the Ladies...

I thought that I was completely ready for the 'real World' post RTM, and that I had the necessary tools in my bag to cope; in many ways it's true but fundamentally we are the same people we were pre LL, with the same weaknesses, likes, dislikes and desires. No wonder it's a challenge.

Keep up the positive attitude Ladies. Life is a journey and it's what we make of the choices that define us.

Anyone else for 2009 lurking and want to say Hi?

Quite agree

I do wonder though if we set unrealistic targets on LL. I KNOW I was too light at the end of RTM, but still on a subconscious level long to be back there. I suspect this is worse for the Ladies...

I thought that I was completely ready for the 'real World' post RTM, and that I had the necessary tools in my bag to cope; in many ways it's true but fundamentally we are the same people we were pre LL, with the same weaknesses, likes, dislikes and desires. No wonder it's a challenge.

Yes Sean, you are so right. People think it's a fluke that i've been able to maintain being slim, albeit not as skinny as I was when I started RTM.
Various reasons - losing weight week by week for a year is habit forming and difficult to give up, getting smaller and smaller, buying tiny clothes, having extra energy, positive strokes, feeling of success, feeling of panic at the thought of eating again - no wonder we don't want to stop abstinence - and maybe go a little too far. Then it;s almost impossible to maintain long term. Don't forget that LL don't tell us what our goal should be. I like that.
Coming on here regularly is part of my way of staying focused, as is going to maintenance.
I often quote my LLC "isn't it funny that the harder you try the more successful you are?!"

Hi guys - yes all good advice and I did do it that way for a while - but tbh I was frightened stiff about going back to food and feel that LL let me down with this as I got no help with RTM and in fact there often wasnt a class!! I then began to swing between abstinence for a week or so and pigging out for a week or so. It got me by but was not healthy and I didnt want to do it like that. I know I have to also take responsibility but I needed guidance and wasnt getting it. I am now trying again and would loooove to get back down to what I was at the end of my journey - but would still need to lose another stone and a half. It seems a long way off. Also I think it comes off slower every time you do the diet (or similar diet) xx

Back