January 2009 - Starters

(PS. Is Nurofen okay to take if I get a headache?)
If it's just standard tablets they should just be ibuprofen. The express tabs and caplets contain sucrose, and the meltlets contain aspartame - not sure if these will affect loss?:confused:
You can get non-branded ibuprofen at chemists and most supermarkets at a fraction of the price of Nurofen BTW

Hi Girls

How many days have you been on Ll before Ketosis strips turned pink
Cheers

James
Hi James,
Today is day 3 for me. Last night there was a hint of pink, this morning it's undeniably pink (3rd box on scale). But I did low-carb on Day 0 (day of first meeting) so I might be slightly ahead.

OMG Sukhi....11lbs...that's fantastic what a great result!

I don't have the sticks to see if i'm in Ketosis..where did everyone get theirs from and what are they called:confused:?

Must admit I did weigh this morning and like WG am a bit of a serial weigher and not counting my chickens but its looking pretty good!

Ooooh forgot to say...welcome Juliewulie...don't be scared you will be fine especially with all the help and support on here!

EmVeg...I wasn't keen on the Raspberry it didn't mix as well as the Banana, Choc and Vanilla and they were def much thicker too, I also prefer them if I add a couple of ice cubes!

OMG
I don't have the sticks to see if i'm in Ketosis..where did everyone get theirs from and what are they called:confused:?
They're called Ketostix (LOL I expect other brands are available) and you can get them from the pharmacy section of your local chemist/Boots - you'll have to ask, they're not out on the shelves. Mine were £5.50 for 50.

hi guys!!!!!

had my meeting last night and today is day one for me!!!!!!! trouble is i had a massive binge yesterday and feel so poorly today, really bad stomach cramps, shakes, nausea, you name it!!!!!!!!! one thing though is i know i will never feel like this again, just dont think ill manage any shakes untill at least this evening:(

well done on your loss sukhi and welcome juliewulie!!!!

They're called Ketostix (LOL I expect other brands are available) and you can get them from the pharmacy section of your local chemist/Boots - you'll have to ask, they're not out on the shelves. Mine were £5.50 for 50.

Thanks for that..will pop out and get some today and I think some Marigold swiss Veg Buillion although not sure if allowed in 1st week???

Sorry you're feeling rough GGF, hope it settles down soon, but try to get onto your packs this afternoon.

I too never bother with ketostix. I know that I've been 100% so don't need to check and see - once you're there and stick to the programme, then you can't fail.

I always felt peeing on a stick before class was a bit of a hassle. It's alledgedly to check hydration, but me, like most of my class stop drinking so much before hand to ensure maximum weightloss :eek:

Wow! Congratulations, that is an amazing amount to lose in your first week. You must be soooo pleased!

Louale x

:welcome:juliewulie.
loads of motivation here.

The news is I lost 11lb.
Yiippee:D:D:D
I hope that will motivate the new starters.
Now need to see if I can update my ticker.
xx
sukhi

Well done Sukhi - 11lbs is fantastic :D:D:D

Welcome Juliewulie, if it helps, get all those mixed emotions out on here and I bet you find everyone has felt the same way!

GGF, sorry you feel so rubbish. Good luck for today and if you have your packs earlier, do so, then you don't have to force them all down in a short period of time.

Well done everyone who is on day 2 and 3, and getting into ketosis :D

Did someone mention raspberry shakes? They are my absolute favourite - I would have one for breakfast everyday before but my LLC didn't have them on her list (well I don't think so, correct me if I'm wrong Sharon). I thought they'd been discontinued. I might have to ask her if she can get some :D

EmVeg, I have taken nurofen for the last 2 days - you should be ok :)

Morning all! Just popping in for my daily dose of enthusiasm and excitement!!

GGF - sorry to hear you are feeling grotty... but you're right... you won't feel like this again! WOOP WOOP!! Try and take your packs anyway - I know it may seem the last thing you want to do, but they may help settle your tummy etc, and the full vitamin complex will also be able to start work (and you'll be in ketosis even quicker!)... Trust me, I have had some nightmare lapses, felt awful (literally crying in pain, shaking, shivers, upset tummy, nausea etc) - but then had a shake and my system started to calm down... it may not work for you - but there is no harm in trying! Feel better soon!!

Not sure who asked about Nurofen - but yeah, tablets are fine. Yes - some have sugar based coatings, but my LLC says this is so teeensy tiny, that it's ok. The only thing you must avoid is syrups of any description - stick with pills and you'll be dandy :)

Umm ummm... Sukhi - BL**DY HELL! 11lbs in the first week is phenomenal!! Everyone else reading this, bear in mind this is not the norm... you'll probs do around half a stone in week one... depends how your body reacts to the change... could be less or more... but it will balance out (basically, don't feel disappointed, it will be doing it's job and melting the fat off you)... but anyway - back to the congratulating... you must be over the moon Sukhi!!!!! Incredible!!!!!

Welcome Susiewusie... hope you enjoy Minimins... you'll see my hanging around here quite a bit, but I actually started at the end of August last year (just had a rubbish Xmas of lapses so turning over a new leaf and trying to blend into the background as a Jan starter, hehehe).

Ketostix & scales... if I were you I wouldn't bother with either.. that is, don't get hung up on buying ketostix. They are at the LL meetings each week, but there is no point having them at home too - you'll just become obsessive about them (as I was back when I did Atkins many moons ago).. you'd be better off 'not' focusing on the diet and the weight loss... the trick to Lighter Life is to 'switch off' and concentrate on the emotions/psychology of why you eat... not transfer your foodiness gene with an obsessive weigh/check pee routine...
Let Lighter Life do it's thing - which it will if you stick to the packs/water - and get on with life...
Scales wise - this can cause real heartache if you either expect a bigger loss than the LLC's scales show (happened to me regularly at the start) or if they show you've hardly lost or heaven forbid GAINED, you'll feel rubbish before your meeting... chances are you WILL have lost, but you'd have beaten yourself up already. Susianna, I too thought I had a brilliant loss coming up at my first weigh in - at least nine pounds... and then when it was 6/7 (can't remember!) I was really peeved. :(

My advice, and the general consensus across LLers is to pack your scales away into a cupboard, or bin them completely- and let how you feel, how your clothes fit etc do the talking. We are all going into a life where we aren't "all about our weight"... we just need to build a bridge and get over it (as Blonde Logic would say - brill phrase!)... it's hard in the early days because it is all so exciting - but transfer that enthusiasm into looking forward and visualising the 'new you' not getting hung up on every little pee stick or half pound loss on the scales...

Ummm errrr....

EmVeg - glad you quite liked the Raspberry... it's not one of my favourites, although it's not offensive either... but - if you have tastes like me - if you like that one, it's all onwards and upwards from here! :D

Ok - that will do....

I'm off to gulp down some water, a peppermint tea, and maybe a hot Forest Fruits drink... scrummy... I've been rubbish with my water this week, and NEED to get back on it :)

Hugs to you all!

(A much happier, focused) Anna xxx

Emveg - I've been taking Neurofen too and seem to be OK.

GGF, hope you feel better soon, I also went mad the night before and felt really rough on my first day. Hope you manage to drink all your shakes today.

Day 3 for me - I've had a banana shake this morning, but really not feeling hungry today, so must be on Ketosis already.

Couldn't help but weigh myself at home today, and seem to be doing well, which is always motivating.

Good luck to all those on day 1 today and to all those still waiting to start, stick in there, not too long to go.

Hope you're all having a good day.

Louale x

Oh dear - so much to catch up on! Seen as I'm on "shake-break" at work I will save my proper catching up for later.

GGF - Sorry you feel so rough. I really wasn't that hungry the past few days - and managed to skip the carbs all yesterday - was expecting to feel awful today but I don't. Try to get some packs and water down...even if you spread them a little and only have half of one for now.

I'm actually really enjoying my vanilla shake for lunch - and I didn't have my blender, just had my shaker today. A few tiny lumps, but wuite happy with the consistency! Woohoo!

Peeing and burping like a trooper right now! But feeling so positve. SO FAR... no headaches, my tummy has rumbled but I don't feel hungry, and the person at work who I told and who worried about me doing it told me they were proud I went through with it. All in all... I'm pretty darn happy.

I got over my hurdle of ACTUALLY making it to the meetings (although I nearly didn't...bit I'll explain that in my diary thread), so today I'm just going with it.

I feel like jumping up and down.

Bring it on...I feel like I could conquer the world right now!

Glad you're enjoying your shake Em. I'm so chuffed you decided to go. I'll be looking out for your diary update later.

I've definately got headaches today - just taken another couple of ibuprofen. I've had a few hunger pangs today, now they're really kicking in. I'm about to head home to have a soup. From tomorrow I will be having a bar so will have one for lunchtime instead of walking home.

It's actually only a little over 5 minutes each way but by the time I have my soup and go to the loo etc, I've been late back every day. Today might take me longer to walk back because it's icy and downhill - I had visions of getting to work on my bum today :8855:

I'm hoping that in a few months it will take me less time to walk each way because I'll be able to walk faster for not having to carry all the extra weight :eek:

well i made a strawberry shake about half 11, managed a bit of it!! i put ice in it and possibly too much water as it was pretty tasteless and bland!! may have to put sweetner in my shakes, is it ok to have endless amounts of sweetners???

im still feeling rubbish and i dont think its anything to do with withdrawal either, its just my body reacting to my massive binge yesterday, ive still got the nasty withdrawal to come yet!!!!!!!!!

its gonna be a very early night for me tonight!

Awww, GGF - yes, you can have unlimited sweetners, as long as they are tablets and not powder...

Sometimes the shakes go a bit watery and flavourless if they are too diluted - you'll get to know the amount of water you need to get them to your preferred taste.

You may not get any withdrawal... I was a real carb head before I started - no slowing down - and I had none... it all depends on the person.

Hope you feel better sharpish :) xx

Hi all, Started lighter life on Tuesday. Not sure if many males are doing it or not. Day 3 and im feeling good just sick of everyone rubbing food in my face, apart from that i am good. Looking at some of the stories on here is keeping me going.

Lee

Hi all, Started lighter life on Tuesday. Not sure if many males are doing it or not. Day 3 and im feeling good just sick of everyone rubbing food in my face, apart from that i am good. Looking at some of the stories on here is keeping me going.

Lee

Welcome Lee :wavey:

I'm on day 3 too. There's a thread for men starting in Jan, link below:

http://www.minimins.com/lighter-life-forum/71391-any-men-starting-jan.html

I've not really told anyone yet, so I've not had the food problem yet.

Tell em to get lost and when you've lost all the weight you can rub their noses in that :D

Back