Jen's Diary - 3lb down :)

Whatchya Gonna Do (2 Goats and a Car)

You are on a game show and there are three doors. The presenter tells you that behind one of doors there is a car and behind the other two are goats. If you pick the car you win it. After you have picked a door the presenter opens a different door with a goat behind it, he then gives you the chance to change what door you open. What should you do?
Hint: It is not 1/2 as you would first think.

Ah, this is the Monty Hall Problem as described in "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time" isn't it? Now I can't remember what the odds are but you're always meant to change your mind under these circumstances because it supposedly increases your odds of winning the car.

Living proof that statistics outweigh common sense I reckon.

We should start a puzzle thread - I love this sort of thing.

Here's one: what word is this?

DOCTOR
DOCTOR

There are three on/off switches in one room, each controlling a different one of the three out-of-sight light bulbs in another room. You may manipulate the switches (only to the extent of turning them on and off), then you must go into the room with the light bulbs and stay there until you have determined the mapping from switches to light bulbs. How do you do it?

You have to look at the words and see what word they could be describing. It is a bit complicated, actually. Sorry.

Another way to say it would be. You have two identical doctors standing next to each other - what would that be?

Edited to add: this is in response to your original comment of course, jess. I'm still working on the light bulbs!

There are three on/off switches in one room, each controlling a different one of the three out-of-sight light bulbs in another room. You may manipulate the switches (only to the extent of turning them on and off), then you must go into the room with the light bulbs and stay there until you have determined the mapping from switches to light bulbs. How do you do it?

I don't know, but my OH says you would switch one on and leave it on. You would switch the second one on and leave it for a while then turn it off and you would leave the third one off. Then you would go into the room and the one that is on would be the first switch, the one that is off but warm would be the second switch and the one that is off and cold would be the third. Is that it?

Think of a shortened word for doctors and say it out loud - the word you get also means a riddle.

Hint - it helps if you say it in an American accent.

I don't know, but my OH says you would switch one on and leave it on. You would switch the second one on and leave it for a while then turn it off and you would leave the third one off. Then you would go into the room and the one that is on would be the first switch, the one that is off but warm would be the second switch and the one that is off and cold would be the third. Is that it?

Yeah :D Clever OH!

Clever you as well - I had to explain the paradox one to my OH about seven times. And he usually loves puns!

I used to know a really good puzzle about pieces of string but I can't remember it...

love it, paradox! I'm going to use that one!!

A quick test of intelligence Don't cheat! Because if you did, the test would be no fun.I promise, there are no tricks to the test.
Read the sentence below and count the F's in that sentence.Count them ONLY ONCE. Do not go back and count them again. Then post your answer :)

FINISHED FILES ARE THE RE-
SULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTIF-
IC STUDY COMBINED WITH
THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS.

Ah, this is the Monty Hall Problem as described in "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time" isn't it?
I loved that book! Reading it was like looking into a child I know's mind - fantastic book!!! Literally could not put it down :D

6!!!!

Finally - one i can do without spending 3 days working it out :D:eek: x

love it, paradox! I'm going to use that one!!

A quick test of intelligence Don't cheat! Because if you did, the test would be no fun.I promise, there are no tricks to the test.
Read the sentence below and count the F's in that sentence.Count them ONLY ONCE. Do not go back and count them again. Then post your answer :)

FINISHED FILES ARE THE RE-
SULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTIF-
IC STUDY COMBINED WITH
THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS.
Ooo missed this - 6

Back