JEZZ - I need cookware advice! Or anyone else!

Blonde Logic

Yes. You can.
I was given 75 quid to spend towards new cookware.

I need Saucepans and Skillets mainly. For starters anyway.

I found at Debenhams a set of MEYERS MAXIM pans that seem a good value - just wondering if anyone has any experience with them?

I would like non-stick on the skillets for sure - but would not mind in the saucepans as well - are there any saucepans that are non stick?

How well does stainless hold up - do they get looking naff after awhile? I like the anodised, but have a set of those back home, so thought some nice shiny stainless wold be a nice change.

Would LOVE le Creuset, but too pricy - I am not a buy one at a time kind of gal. lol

Any reccomendations anyone?

Ta muchly!

x

Well, after a failed attempt to go look at said Meyers pans (Car won't start - headed out on foot to train station - downpour of rain - about face, quick stop at DVD shop - and plans changed!)

Idid however stop in a cookery shop in town, and they have a set of Steller Pans, stainless steel on special in February.

The lady raved about them - which she would of course, but I deal there quite often, so she was not doing the hard sell...

But again, a name I am not familiar with. Ever hear of them?

The deal is good - 3 saucepans, milk pan and skillet for 99.00 - half off from 199.00.

Ta!

x

Sounds a good deal hun, my all time best is anything stainless steel with a copper bottom. Very hard to find thought, so Stainless with a very heavy base is good, it distributes the heat evenly and therefore makes for better temperature control.

I don't know any of the brands you mention, but I really just buy what I think feels good to me. If the lady is raving it sounds like the right buy.

Let me know how it goes

Jez
xx

I am a Le Crueset girl - whilst on LL I spent all my spare money kitting out my kitchen (like you, I am n ot a one at a time kinda gal!) - over £900 was spent on Le Crueset in Teal - I have alot of the range and I adore it!

Enjoy whatever you decide on!

Kat xx

Hi BL. Meyers is a respected make of domestic pans, but I haven't had them. I think some of them have vents in the lids to let the steam escape.
Le Creuset are great, but very heavy and slow to conduct the heat, good for lots of things but not short sharp hot cooking.
I have stainless steel with heavy bases, easy to keep clean and shiny, heat up and cool down quickly because they are good conductors of heat. I also like the look of them hanging in the kitchen. It sounds like the set you are being offered is probably similar to mine.
Like Jez said - just go for it if they seem good. Sounds like a good deal.
Skillets, or frying pans as we call them. It's good to have a selection of sizes and finishes, a couple of cheapy non stick which I just replace when they get manky, cast iron for omeltes etc. and a couple of others, build them up as you go. A copper one would be nice, but a girl can dream!
Good night xx

Thanks guys!

Yes, I like Le Creuset for casserole/stews, etc., in the oven - but you can;t beat the sizzle of steel on the stove top!! Plus, they are heavy, and with all my bone probs, not the best way forward. I love the look of them, but feel they are a bit overpriced.

The meyer set SB includes 3 saucepans, a milkpan and 3 frypans. They do have vented lids, pon the sides, so you can drain the pan directly which I think is a great feature. The Stellars have this too.

Is it a good thing for the steam to escape? I know you can rotate the lid so the straining part is not as exposed - just wonder how that would affect things like rice, couscous, etc., if the steam escapes? But seems a sound feature for pasta and veggies, etc.

This set is on offer, less then 100 pounds at Debenhams! Which may be a great bargainm or indiciative that they are a low end set in their range. If the are, then I will look into the Stellers - more expensive - for fewer peices - but still good value. I was going to go look yesterday - you got to hold pans, and see the weight, etc., but my car broke down! :( Which has changed todays plans drastically as well - you get my email??

Thanks hon!

x

Last edited:
I would agree that Le Crueset are very heavy and slow to conduct heat!

Kat xx

You girls are good!!!! I thought pans were pans were pans!! lol

I would agree that Le Crueset are very heavy and slow to conduct heat!

Kat xx

Indeed. I have two duff shoulders - lets face it - all my joints are duff. THey would kill me. They sure look nice though, and if I were to get more, it would be teal too.

Waiting with hope they do an aubergine coloured set. might have to have a roaster or bean pot or something in that! :D

x

I managed to get a full set of le crueset pans, frying pans and griddle through e bay and TK Maxx (they often have them in). It took about six months to get everything I wanted but I reckon I saved myself about 75% on what would have been about £1000 worth of pans!
Love them, especially the frying pan as I don't need to use any oil at all and nothing sticks to it!

I have the full works in Le Creuset Tri Vita and can't fault them, weight or conductivity. I used to have the iron set but gave them away, far too heavy! The only thing I have cast iron now is a lovely long pan with lid that I can fit a leg of lamb in and roast it slowly in the oven and because it's enameled too, it just soaks any burning off beautifully.

Well, thats that done then. My god, this was doing my head in - so many choices and considerations!!

Anyway,m I have ordered the 5 piece Stellar set - 3 Saucepans, 1 Milk pan, and a frypan.

I have also purcahsed a mid size stock pot and covered saute pan from the Home Basic range from Beales. (Box says Home Economics Induction) but website just calls it Home Basics - but they are lovely Casserole/Srock pots, so grabbed that and a Sauterne....bothe good up to 230c in the oven which is always handy.

Anyway - all theses bits on massive reductions - spent 150.00 on the lot....if not on sale would have been over 400.00 so I am a very happy bunny. I spent about twice what my xmas gift was, but if hubster kicks off, I will remind him what he spends on his tools. And these are MY tools. :D

They are all so beautiful - cannot wait to receive them, and BIN this RUBBISH I have been using for the last 8years. LOL I cannot believe I have managed for 8 years with this stuff!!! I have only had 2 saucepans!!! LOL Warped bottoms, stained metal, loose handles!! ROTFLMAO. - it really is funny because I can be a bit of a snob when it comes to stuff like this. I just kept thinking we were going back to California sooner then this so never bothered - but enough is enough!!! I have to face it - I am here now. So, so be it.

So - doing a little snoopy dance, and waiting for all my lovley shinies to arrive next week!!!

Weeeeeee :D :D :D :D

Thanks for all your suggestions peeps!! And Foxtrot, if Ic ould aford the Anodised LeCreuset, I'd have it. I forgot about their non cast iron series - those are lovley!

Happy days!!!!

Sounds like you got some good stuff there BL. And it also sounds to me like you have done a very empowering thing for yourself!!! Well done you :)

Jez
xx

Ya know what Jez, in a way you are right. SB understands this too. Lately I have been facing something that I have not been dealing with - my feelings of displacement.

I have felt guilty since the day I moved here, for leaving my aging mom. As a result, I have only been "half living" my life. Afraid to get to happy here, and too settled. Probably for fear I will never get back to California....which despite that I have become very fond (mostly) of life in England - the Mountains of California are my home, heart and soul.

But, it is causing me problems, internal termoil, etc. And I don't think I can continue to live my life this way.

So this is a symbol, really, of <its even scary to say> facing that I am not going to be "home" for some time to come. Its all very complicated, and denial has been where I have been living.

SO yes - in a way it is an empowering, if not sad/scary thing to start doing things like this.

I am also taking my driving test soon, which is very nerve wracking and something I have put off the entire time, for much the same reasons.

It may not sound like much, and be hard for people to understand. Its hard to explain.

I am pretty certain all this anxiety over these things is what has brought on the horrible and completely unwanted adult onset Psoriasis on my hands and feet. Its getting harder and harde to keep inside, so it is coming out in very unpleasant ways. :(

I need to let go, or try, of the guilt I feel. It is not doing me ANY favours at all.

So - baby steps. Cutting the chord with my life back home makes what was meant to be a temporary and exciting experience feel like a permanent thing - and that is what is scary and hard. Sometimes, I still feel like a small child. A an adult, nearly 50, for god sake, I shouldbe able to cope with these things gracefully. Well and truly stunted. lol

Ugh. Waffle, waffle, waffle.

Just wanted to say thanks for being so astute. :)

xx

Darling, I know so exactly where you are at. I too am kind of displaced, Africa is always my home, it defines me, it makes me different from a British person. The only thing that really helped me to settle here, was the fact, that I knew there was no going back. There was nothing there, no money, no life, everything I lost including the restaurant was gone from me forever. I had to start again. And it is hard, so hard, because you always feel like you have left a part of you behind. I have spent money, probably too much and hocked myself to create a home, but it is now my safe space, my refuge and my sanctuary. I so admire what you are doing, and I think it is exactly the right thing. This is not to say you will not be living in Cali again, but the acceptance of what is your life right now in this moment is important, and you should make it as comfortable and wonderful for you as you possibly can. Taking that test, having the pans, creating your life is the most empowering thing. Your " dis ease" of heart has obviously shown up physically, it always does when we supress things for too long, but now you are addressing these things, this too shall pass :) I feel so positive for us all for this new year, and tonight is not only New Years Eve, but it is a Full Moon and a Blue Moon at that, so a really special time to get in touch with ourselves and what we want to create for the future.

Hugs Chick, I think you are damn wonderful!!!!

Jez
xx

ditto what Jez says, you are a beautiful and wonderful woman and I admire your strength in facing these issues. You have stuck around and helped so many people on this forum, before starting my LL journey I listened to you a lot and am forever thankful for the advice you gave. I'm glad you are taking these steps, Happy New Year to you, my friend x

I do so HATE a warped bottom !!!

SPOOKY !!

Yeah - Karen millen. I thought ofyou when I bought it. Have been saving it for Christmas time. I like the sparkly bits. lovely colours. What superb taste we have !!!

Back