Need advice about exercise pretty please

Barbette

Gold Member
Hello, I've been doing SW for over a year and last year I got my Platinum body magic but then my back went and had to stop. I had physio and they told me I had disc damage from years of working in cellars, I got exercises which after months of doing them worked. He told me that the exercises I was doing wouldn't affect my back but when I tried to restart my back started again.
I would love to get myself back into a exercise routine, I already walk the dog so it would be on top of that. I work all kinds of funny shifts, days and night and have no set pattern so attending a regular class would be out the window. I just wondered if anyone could recommend a form of exercise I could daily for about 15-30 minutes preferably from home as I care for my OH as well and would be friendly on the old back.
I would be grateful for any advice, thank you Barbette x

Have you tried Pilates? There are lots of good DVDs and its excellent for strengthening your back and core. I used to go to classes and if you start with a beginner routine it feels simple but does make a real difference. I could tell within a few weeks that I was getting more supple.

I agree about Pilates. I do it using blogilates videos(you can find them on YouTube) and there is all sorts of variety in length of videos and the areas they target. The workout feels great, I used to do it last year and just started again last week, im really enjoying it even though I don't look anywhere near as elegant as the instructor lol

Thank you for replying, just been looking online at workouts and advice about it. It sounds as though it could be just up my street, I'm due to have my gall bladder out soon and it says you can do it after surgery as well so all good :D

Hiya
Like you, I also have disc damage and have done the whole physio thing more times than I care to think! What my new, honest and brill doctor said was also to do Pilates to build up the core. I am not quite there yet as just had another episode and trying to finish my second year of uni. But as soon as I finish up and my back is a little more stable I shall be starting online Pilates. Good luck xx

Clearly you can walk, so why not get a treadmill. They're not that expensive. I have one set up in front of the tv and when I watch tv or a movie where I'd normally just slump on the sofa, I use the treadmill and walk, just walk whilst watching the show.

Not the most exciting or innovative exercise but one that can be done easily at any time day/night and you can do it as hard or soft as you like.

Back