Jo Jo's Gastric Band Diary

Hello all, and welcome to my diary.

Today is Saturday 12th September and I had a Gastric Band operation on Wednesday 9th Septmeber.

I am currently sat on my sofa recovering and decided I wanted to share my experiences with the world.

So......... here goes.

Back in February, I requested some help from my G.P with regards to weight loss. I'd got to a stage where, diets, personal trainers and all efforts weren't working.
To be honest, I think it was down to me that they weren't working. I didn't have the motivation to push myself into really really trying. It was less about what I was eating, it was more to do with how I was eating, and the alcohol I was using as a crutch.

So.....
My wonderful G.P suggested we put in for funding from our local P.C.T to ascertain if they'd cover me for a Gastric Band operation.

Over the next six months, I received confirmation and an Op date.

And thats where I am now.

On Wednesday 9th September weighing 19 stone and 8 pounds, I drove myself to Gloucester Royal Hospital for 08:00 am and checked myself in. I have never been so nervous before. Only two people knew exactly what operation I was having as I'm quite a private person. I felt so alone, and just wanted to pack my bag up and get the hell out of there.

Was I doing this for the right reasons? Did I think it was going to be a quick fix? Was I thinking it would solve all my problems?
These were just a few questions going through my head in the 9hrs I had to wait untill my operation.

Five pm came, and so did the hospital porters to take me down to theatre. Off I went.

I don't know how many hours later it was, but I woke up in hysterics. The pain in my chest was unbearable, and the feeling of desperately needing to vomit was awful.
Eventualy they managed to calm me down and I was sent into recovery.
A long night followed and thankfully I was discharged the next day. ( Thursday )
Thursday was spent drinking very small sips of water, and spending the whole time in bed.

What is to follow is my food diary for Friday and Saturday.

FRIDAY
Weight = 19 stone ( 8 pounds lost )

9 am Half pint glass of water

10 am Two sips of Muller Vitality Drinking Yoghurt

12:30 Half a small mug of chicken oxo

16:00 one Ladel of stock juice

Along with this I drank two pints of ice water.

SATURDAY
Weight 18.13 ( one pound lost since yesterday )

9:30 am Half a glass of Echinacea cocktail

12:30 Half a small mug of chicken oxo

14:00 Orange Juice Lolly

16:30 Half a glass of Cranberry/Rasberry juice

Plus a pint of water

It's now 16:35 on Saturday afternoon.
I've had terrible pain from wind. During the operation they blow you up with gas, inorder to sperate the organs, so they can get a better view. This gas is pretty painful and I constantly feel bloated.
I've managed to take two walks each day. Short walks, but at least it's somthing.

I'll let you know tomorrow how I'm doing. If anyone is reading this and can offer me any advice I'd appreciate it. I haven't had any more drinking yoghurt as I really don't feel I was ready for it.

Lots of love peeps.

xxxx

hi

i'm 5"9 and i'm 23 and a half stone. i've had xenical from the doctor, that didnt work out. i've been on lighter life, that didnt work out. and now i'm back at slimming world and guess what! its not working out!! :( i do well for 3 weeks and loose some good weight and then i put it all back on in 2 weeks, how did you go about asking your doctor for the op?
i have been thinking about the op for such a long time but i'm to scared to ask the doctor just incase he was to say no or say i'm not trying hard enough! :(
i'm doing ok on the exercising part its just the stopping myself from eating that i just find so hard..
how should i go about asking my doctor? or should i hint and the doctor and hope he brings it up?
do you have any advice you could give me?
i can feel myself giving up all hope, i would kill to have the op!
i would love to hear some more of how your getting on :)

lol i'm guessing your off having to much fun with your band :p good luck

So how are you getting along? X

Back