Jogging advice needed PLEASE!!

MrsLmc

Gold Member
Hiya all

I've been doing the couch to 5k on my treadmill at home. I'm on week 4 day 2 and don't find it too difficult at the minute. I feel it but I can finish it iykwim.

The problem is when I try and do a bit of the programme outside. I find it difficult to regulate my breathing and I get a pain in my chest from trying to breath properly, usually ending up in alot of coughing.

Please has anyone any advice, I would be very grateful. I am taking part in my first 5k run in 6 weeks time and I'm beginning to panick abit.

Thanks in advance.
Laura x

I 'm far from a pro runner, but i do know that running on the treadmill is WAY easier than running outside, you should probably go back a week or two on your programme and do it outside if you can. Running on the treadmill wont properly prepare you for 5k outside. I've heard lots of my super fit running friends say the same, they can run for ages on a treadmill but outside is another story!

Okay I was scared that was the story. Thing is the run is in 6 weeks, and the plan I'm on finishes just the week before. Badly timed but I didn't factor in for the difference. Silly me. Thank you so much for your reply. Looks like runs from now on will have to be outside x

I do lots of treadmill running too and also struggle running outside. I have found wearing a scarf over my mouth really helps.

Hiya girls, well I'm still at the running, predominantly outside now and I'm getting to really enjoy it. I run 5k now with only 2 2min walk breaks inbetween 10min jogs, gonna cut that down again today on my run. I wear a scarve around my throat like suggested and it has really helped with the breathing. I'll let you all know again in 3 weeks how my very first 5k race goes xx

That's great, I'm really pleased for you.

Hope the race goes well :)

Hi, i was wondering how it was going. well done you!!! Good luck for the race, cant wait to hear how you do :) x

I'm able to run 30 mins straight now on the beach lol, I'll be doing a run tonight that I've marked out as 5k, this'll be my practice area now for the next 2.5 weeks. I actually think I'll be able to jog the whole race now eeeekkk x

Hi there! I've just started running, and I am having breathing trouble too, which really cuts down my distances. My body wants to keep going, but my chest gets tight. I find I carry a lot of stress and tension in my chest, so I have to remember to keep my chin down (i raise it without realising and then I'm shallowing breathing into my throat) and to also keep relaxed while running. I squeeze my hand on my water bottle to remind myself to let go of the tension in my body. I have't tried a scarf though - while its still cold I will give it a go :)

Hiya all, just a bit of an update. Since I was last on here I've run my 5k in 34mins and a 10k race in 70mins. I have another 10 in 4weeks. I am far from a great runner, but I'm enjoying it now and love getting out in the fresh air to have time to myself. x

Sounds like your doing great!! Pleased your enjoying it too :)

This was just the inspiration I needed. Did 5k race yesterday, thinking of doing 10k in September but have exactly the same problem with my breathing so was a bit worried about signing up only to let myself down. Perseverance appears to be the key :)

im a terrible runner, so i signed up for a half marathon in october. bit of a kick up the bum to get me training properly :p

This was just the inspiration I needed. Did 5k race yesterday, thinking of doing 10k in September but have exactly the same problem with my breathing so was a bit worried about signing up only to let myself down. Perseverance appears to be the key :)

I slowed my running way down and that seemed to sort out my breathing, matter or stretching the lungs I think and conditioning the body. Definately sign up for the 10k, races are so different from training. They seem easier, with all the people, the buzz and the excitement. Felt great after it.

Gina b - think I may sign up for a half next year, I'm looking at a warrior dash at the minute, but gonna have to do a bit of work on my upper body strength. The race looks like great crack ;-)

Back