Join me for a lent challenge?

I'm giving up sugar. I don't have a lot anyway but I'm going to try harder to have my syns as "food" rather than sweet treats. I'm only talking the obvious kinds in things like Freddos or the Aldi groovy bars I have. I would like to get into the 12s by Easter and that's 6lb away so this may boost it, even if by a weeny bit!

I'm giving up two things for Lent :
1) alcohol. None at all (except maybe using rice wine (mirrin) in stir fries - that's not drinking it!)
2) wasting food. I want to be much more mindful of what I buy and make sure I'm creative with leftovers so I don't end up chucking them out

I'm joining the challenge. No crisps. Last crisps I had gave me terrible indigestion so think it may be a sign.

Gonna be hard as work opposite works tuck shop. So many crisps.:eek:

Hi all,

Well, I decided to celebrate the last evening before Lent by eating pizza and drinking too much wine. As a result today has been a struggle - not helped by being caught on the hop for lunch and buying an egg may sarnie without checking the syns - 16 by the way - even deducting 6 for the brown bread as a HEX, that is 10 syns gone just like that. Still, determined to do this and the hangover has reminded me exactly why giving up booze is such a good idea...

2) wasting food. I want to be much more mindful of what I buy and make sure I'm creative with leftovers so I don't end up chucking them out[/QUOTE]

This is a really good one - I may do this one too. I had already decided to try and make March a month when I ran the freezer right down - it is jam packed, fortunately mostly with SW friendly stuff!!

I walked past a 5 pack of curly wurlys in asda for £1. I thought "ooh they would be good for the syn tin" then remembered my lent challenge. Had some extra light mayo on my SW chips cooked in proper EVOO instead. Finished on 8 syns with no sweetness at all :)

I'm giving up two things for Lent :
1) alcohol. None at all (except maybe using rice wine (mirrin) in stir fries - that's not drinking it!)
2) wasting food. I want to be much more mindful of what I buy and make sure I'm creative with leftovers so I don't end up chucking them out

Hi Ladies,
Have only just found this thread.
I am with Theria.
1. No alcohol until 17th April.
2. Not wasting any food.
3. Be at target by 17th April!!
I dont drink large quantities of alcohol but drink frequently and one glass of wine leads to snacking so I am hoping that 1 will help 3!!
Good luck everyone

Really fancied some crisps today. Usually my mid afternoon snack. Had an apple instead very proud of myself. Many people buying crisps from tuck shop today but resisted. :p

I did day 2 with no sweet stuff!!

So far so good, big test will be tomorrow as I have half day at work and going out for late lunch with a friend which would normally involve sharing a bottle of wine while catching up.

Have already warned her that I've given it up for lent and if she sees my ordering wine at the bar she has permission to shout at me haha.

Well done everyone.xxx

Doing well so far. No alcohol has passed my lips. I used up some leftover roast veg making a frittata.
Just to clarify, for me this challenge runs for 40 days/nights. I am off on holiday on April 17th and will be drinking then ;)

No problems so far for me.

My best friend's coming over tonight and I'm cooking Chinese for us. I am actually using some leftovers in this meal (shhhh...don't tell anyone!) and I know I won't need any alcohol to have a good time :party0049:

Still on track here too - 100% on plan and no alcohol in sight. The weekend is usually the time I struggle, but I'm feeling so committed and confident today that I don't think it will be a problem. I've even politely declined my husband's offer of a take away tonight!! I'm going to have something SW friendly with the kids later and let him get his own chicken kebab when he gets in from work!!

Another day down and I have no syns left to speak of after eating the skin off the chicken I was carving :eek: oops. So no sweetness for me again today. :) what is this, day 3?

So far, so good! :D

Me too!

Two of my meals today have been yesterday's left overs. V delicious they were too :)

Day 4 down and embarking on day 5.... Although I'm finding I'm retaining water because I'm having salty snacks or more gravy to have my syns instead. Hmmm I'm getting on the NAS Ribena today....

Back