JOLLOF RICE - GREEN/EE SYN FREE

Jollof Rice has been one of my fav meals since I met my husband 7 years ago. He was born in Lagos Nigeria and frequently used to cook rice and stew and take me to African restaurants. I have since mastered various nigerian recipes and LOVE THEM.....however salt and fat content is very high - frylight is no substitute for palm oil but hey it's a sacrifice I am prepared to make - and it's much healthier! :)

Serves 4
Cooking time 35/40 minutes

Sauce - in a blender whizz 1/2 red onion, 1/2 white onion, 1 scotch bonnet red pepper, chopped fresh ginger and 2 cloves of garlic with 1 can of tomatoes with a maggi cube and about 50ml of water.

Soak 250g rice in water to wash out starch.

Spray large saucepan with frylight (for 6 syns use 1 tbsp of palm oil for the authentic flavour) add a sprinkle of ground shrimp, fry for a few minutes then add the sauce, stiring every few minutes, cook sauce for 15 minutes.

Chop some carrot, courgette, pepper and peas. Add to the sauce, crumble in another maggi cube/stock cube and pour over 100ml of boiling water, stir through and add the drained rice.

Cover, simmer for 10 minutes, stir, add a little more water if needed, repeat until rice is cooked through - sauce should be almost absorbed.

If you are on EE you can add some thick chunks of ham/chicken/lamb pieces.

Its gorgeous :D

Sounds great and I'm always on the lookout for new types of food to try! Silly question - do you grind the shrimp yourself - ie, just throw some cooked shrimp in a food processor or buy it that way?

mmmm Sounds lush, I think i'll add this into my menu for the week after next..Love all the flavours in this...

Thanks for the recipe.

Hi Stacey - no grinding required - you can buy packet/tub of ground shrimp, usually in the international/asian store if you have one nearby. Anyway its not a necessity just the way I was taught.

Give it a go though, let me know what you think :)

This recipe is in one of the magazines, but not quite the same as this recipe.... This recipe sounds much nicer and I shall be giving it a go..

Back