Jo's beautiful bridesmaid dress diary

That sounds lovely. May try it myself :)

Do, it is so yummy especially if you get the cheese really crispy and grilled, mmmm!

Not much of a diary for yesterday as I felt rotten, and still do, didn't really eat a lot yesterday but didn't track either, am sure I've stayed within syns tho as I just had my usual breakfast of porridge, a banana, a roll with cheese spread and tomato, and a dressing-free chicken salad for tea however in the afternoon DS had a little birthday at his friends house and I must admit to picking at a few crisps and twiglets, which I was very annoyed about afterwards, tho I'm sure I didn't go over but hate that feeling of not knowing 100% if you get what I mean.

Anyway I was in bed stupidly early with a horrible sore throat, earache and sickness feeling - its also totm coming up soon, great!, haven't eaten anything this morning just want to sleep but that doesn't really happen with a little one in the house, and OH has had to go to work this morning so I think I'll just be on the sofa for most of the day, horrible yucky bug!

Thanks Jane, am feeling a bit better today, just wishing it wasn't so cold outside then I could go for a nice walk. Might have to borrow OH's long johns!

:sick::sick::needhug::winter_brr:

That just about sums up my morning so far! Am sooo yucky poorly, lost my voice, tired, no energy, freezing cold, horrid :-(

Stuck to plan yesterday tho, all 15 syns accounted for, OH made a nice dinner of sweet roasted veg with grilled chicken, today so far have had my usual porridge and an early lunch of a roll as I may well be in bed by the time lunchtime is here properly! Sore throats don't usually bother me but am so tired and itchy-eyed, really can't be bothered to do anything beyond curl up and sleep - DS will be home in a short while to sort that one out tho but am hoping that my mum will sit with him as need to switch off for a bit, not felt this yuck for ages and am anticipating totm to show up either today or tomorrow, just to make me feel even better!

On the bright side tho I am very much managing to stick to plan which is the main thing.

Well done for sticking to plan despite the fact that you are feeling so awful.Sending big hugs your way:grouphugg:X

Well done for sticking to plan despite the fact that you are feeling so awful.Sending big hugs your way:grouphugg:X

Thanks Jane!

Am feeling a bit better after sleeping for most of yesterday and then having a good nights sleep last night, totm arrived this morning which is very annoying especially considering it could affect my WI tomorrow :-(

Got my grandad coming round today which will spur me on to having a good tidy up downstairs, kitchen is a bombsite, why is it just one day of being ill is enough to make your whole house turn into such a mess?

Another 100% day ahead, nervous about the WI now as totm has made me feel all fat and horrible :-(

What a day! Freezing cold! Still feeling rough tho had another sleep this afternoon which has made things a lot better, my Mum did all my ironing for me which was just wonderful.

We've had so much snow here and the traffic is just chaos, thankfully I haven't had to go out today but my OH still hasn't got in from work, driving conditions are awful.

Am just hoping that we aren't totally snowed in by morning and that I can still get to my WI! Will be really upset if not with it being first week WI, but I can only go if my friend feels able to drive in it.

Had a bit of a miserable moment earlier - a friend whose wedding we went to in September sent us a thank you card and in it was a picture of me and her dancing, omg I just look totally awful, I look about six months pregnant! Really not happy about it and I can't hide it from my OH as my friend refers to it in her card! I really do look huge especially against her and what makes it worse is that she used to be a 14 and is now barely an 8, she looked like a little doll at her wedding. Quite miserable about that really. All in all not been the best of days but hoping things will improve once (if) I get on those scales tomorrow and can see that it has all been worth it.

Very Disappointed

Bit upset as we are totally snowed in now and my friend who I go to SW with can't even get off of her driveway, so we won't be able to go to class this morning :-( feeling quite miserable about it as I really wanted to go and see how I'd done, am now so tempted to binge but I won't do as I don't want to undo what I've done.

Not a happy bunny today!

Just got back from a lovely walk in the snow with DS, am now wrapped up nice and warm and not wanting to move! Someone gave OH two packets of chocolate fingers last night and he's left one packet at home today, arghhh am trying so hard not eat them, this cold weather really isn't helping my motivation one bit, and not knowing how I've done doesn't help either (my home scales are totally out in relation to SW ones so that's no good). Really just feel like total hibernation is in order for today. Can't get to the gym either as it has been closing up early, hence the long walk I just went on. Worrying about OH being out there driving, there has been some really bad accidents over the last two days, and the snow just hasn't stopped! Its all on our car which hasn't moved, the bonnet keeps getting bigger and bigger with snow, I do love the snow really but it does make me want to stuff my face, damn those cavegirl genetics!

Well its been a weird few days pretty much off-plan but I'm back on track now and raring to go, we don't have a lot of food in but am hoping by Sunday the roads will have cleared a bit and we'll be able to go food shopping in the meantime tho I need to stop making excuses and just get on with it. Got a day of quite a bit of housework planned, need to strip and change the beds and so on so that's a bit towards my body magic, am going for a walk later and may do a bit of wii fit, am really missing my gym sessions now and really wish that I didn't have to rely on other people to give me a lift, although I don't know how confident I would be to drive even if I did have my licence, its a bit scary out there! Worry so much with my OH being on the roads all the time with his job.

Speaking of the OH he made his yummy butternut squash pasta again last night, which was so nice, as usual, am so lucky to have a supportive OH in terms of what we eat although he has absolutely no interest in the workings of the actual plan itself, but I can't have everything!

Good day ahead for us all I hope.

I hope you've had a good day and enjoyed your walk. Hopefully the weather clears up a bit and you enjoy your weekend.

Thanks! We didn't go for a walk in the end but we did manage to go food shopping which has set me up for the week ahead now, feeling quite focused. Have got a massive challenge later on though - we're going to a surprise 18th birthday party and there waiting for me will be my ultimate nemesis - the buffet!! We are eating dinner first so that I'll hopefully be too full to want any, and I've told my OH I'm not allowed a single thing as if I break the seal and just have a tiny little something, that's it, I'll be off, and the whole weekend will have gone wrong. So I must face my demons and not have a single thing!

I know I can do it!

I bumped into my SW friend today and she said she'd been struggling the past two days since we couldn't get to class to WI, as I have, so its good to know that we're in the same boat. Have found it really hard to get back on track but I've been ultra-good today and we're now just about to have homemade SW leek and potato soup with homemade bread, yum!

Really good day - went to the gym and done housework, feeling rather proud of myself. I haven't written my food out yet so I'm not sure of syn values but today has looked like:

Red Day

Breakfast

Alpen (HEXB1)
Milk (HEXA1)

Lunch

Home made leek and potato soup - 2 syns on red
Wholemeal Roll (HEXB2)

Snack: 1 Jumbo Cheese Snack a Jack - 2 syns
Grapes - free

Dinner:

Homemade Pork and Apple Casserole (on the SW site at the mo)
Rice - not sure of syns but won't have much

So I've had a pretty low-syn day - if I'd planned slightly better I would have made today an EE day but I didn't, oh well! I'm sure that even if I compared what the syns would be on all three plans they would probably come out at the same kind of number, but what is the main thing for me is that I went to the gym, my house is nice and tidy, and I've eaten homemade meals for lunch and tea, and not snacked. For a weekend this is a miracle for me - and I was kind of naughty at the buffet last night, a few mini spring rolls etc but again I'd pre-empted it and ate beforehand so again, yes, naughty, but I'd broken the habit of turning up at a party starving and then demolishing the buffet.

Have just checked the print out of the recipe for pork and apple casserole, from the SW site archive, and to my shock it says FIVE syns on red!!

I can't see anything that would account for so many syns and so I'm thinking that maybe it is an old recipe from when stock cubes were synned, can anyone see anything that I can't from this list of ingredients:-

Lean pork fillet
2 medium onions, chopped
2 sticks celery, chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 medium cooking apples
85g green lentils
2 veg stock cubes
1 bay leaf
S&P

Really can't see anything there to account for the syns - unless I am wrong in thinking that stock cubes are now free? I'm not sure on syns for lentils but honestly wouldn't think they were that bad! All help with this appreciated, as usual x

OH's pork and apple casserole was so yummy, one of the nicest dinners we have made so far, OH can't sing the praises of SW recipes enough! Lovely winter warmer - search for it on the recipe archive.

On the way down to the pub (water for me!) we talked about how much better we are both feeling for eating so much more healthily. It is surprising how much healthy eating has improved our relationship, mainly because I am so much happier and more confident in myself. OH loves cooking so he's really enjoying all the different recipes. Its my turn tonight so I'll be doing spaghetti carbonara, which went down a storm last time I made it - hopefully it will be just as nice tonight!

Went to the gym yesterday and weighed myself - 12st 11lbs which is 2.5lbs off of the official first week SW WI of 12st 13.5lbs - if the SW scales on Weds morning show a loss from that then I'll count my first week loss as 2lbs, which I'll be more than pleased with. I shall have my sneaky peeks on the gym scales now as I'm sure they are far more reliable and exact than my home ones.

Felt confident and happy in what I was wearing at the pub last night, think I definitely have lost a few inches off of my tummy since starting the gym in September, I should have an assessment in the next few weeks.

All in a pretty good NSV in terms of the weekend, my hardest dieting time. A good week ahead I hope. My mum is having a job interview today at somewhere that she'd love to work so I'm hoping that some of my positivity will rub off on her.

Recipe for Warming Leek and Potato Soup

For those of you who don't have access to the SW site, I thought I would post the recipe for the soup that OH made at the weekend. It really is very lovely and low in syns, I had it with a HEXB roll which made it one of the yummiest and healthiest weekend lunches I have had for ages.

Serves: 4

Syns: 1/2 syn on Green and EE
2 syns on Red

There is 142mls of either skimmed or semi-skimmed milk used here, I took mine out my HEXA allowance but if not it would have to be synned. I used semi to make it more creamy.

1 large onion, chopped
1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 pints chicken stock
3 leeks, finely chopped
170g potatoes, peeled and diced
Salt and Pepper
142mls milk - semi or skimmed

1. Put the onion, garlic, leeks and half a pint of chicken stock into a deep pan, cover and bring to the boil.

2. Boil for 5-10 minutes, then uncover, reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes until the onion is golden and tender.

3. Add the potatoes to the cooked onion and leeks and pour in the remaining one and a half pints of hot chicken stock. Season to taste and simmer for 20 minutes.

4. Puree the soup in a blender and then return to the pan, stirring in the milk.

5. Re-heat the soup gently.

This really is so lovely and such a nice filling winter lunch that did feel a lot more naughty than it was.

Let me know what you think!

Last edited:
Am typing this just as I'm watching the repeat of last nights Corrie, omg talk about edge of my seat! Absolutely brilliant episode, can't wait for tonight. Yes I am a major tv addict!

Last nights spaghetti carbonara was nice but not as yummy as the first time I made it, I think I burned it a bit :-( better luck next time!

Another good day so far, still feeling nervous to see tomorrow's WI result but I'm at the gym later on so that will make me feel better. Things really good at the moment, feeling really happy, love SW!

Thought I would post my recipe for last nights dinner - its worth either doing this on EE so that you can have lots more bacon (I am a total bacon nut) and then leave your syns for extra cheese (I'm a total cheese nut) or adding extra of both on a green and using all your syns for a really indulgent dinner. Either plan is fine for this as its very low syn anyway - and tastes far naughtier.

Serves 4

Syns per serving: 1.5 on original (you can use the spaghetti as a healthy extra but it has to be wholemeal, which I think is yucky, so its worth doing this on either EE or green) 3 syns on green and 1.5 syns extra easy (use any extra cheese/parmasan as a healthy extra)

4 rashers bacon, all visible fat removed
3 eggs
Salt and Pepper
3 tablespoons very low fat natural fromage frais (I use sainsburys be good to yourself)
2 level tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Small bunch of chives - these are really important to bring out the flavour
400g spaghetti

1. Roughly chop the bacon and dry fry (or use oil but syn it) in a non-stick frying pan for 5 minutes then set aside, whilst boiling spaghetti.

2. In a mixing bowl, lightly beat the eggs, season to taste and add fromage frais and 1 tablespoon of the Parmesan. Chop the chives and add to the mixture.

3. Add the spaghetti and egg mixture to the bacon in the frying pan and stir/turn over a low heat until the egg sets (it will turn into tiny balls of egg)

4. Serve sprinkled with the remaining Parmesan and/or more healthy extra cheese.

If you have some spare syns this would be heavenly with a glass of white and a bit of garlic bread, mmmm! Or even if you dont have the syns to spare it would make an excellent treat night/WI/dinner party meal as it really does taste as nice as the full-fat creamy version. You have to be speedy with it though as the egg sets quick and it gets cold quick. Enjoy!

Back