Jo's success story

Aww thanks ladies! Not planning to post every day here, but I think I'll try and comment at the end of each week so I can record my losses and any struggles on each of the steps.

Weighed in today at 181. 11lbs to go til my official goal :)

Last week on SS this week then Step 2 from Saturday! Feeling positive and really looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com

Hello! Didn't update last week as there wasn't much to say except I'd finished SS. I've now also done my first week on Step2 and I'm feeling really good. Loving being back at the gym (going 3 times a week as I move up the steps) and feeling really hopeful that I'll see the steps through this time.

I ended up losing 3 lbs on my last week on SS and 2 lbs this week. Really pleased with my loss this week as its been my totm and I imagine my body is adjusting to the exercise too. Especially pleased as on Thursday morning it looked like I'd put ON half a lb, and its shifted in two days plus the 2 lb loss.

Hoping for another 2 lbs this week but I'd be totally delighted with 3 lbs. I'll update next week :)

Well done Jo xxx

I've been rubbish with updating like I promised I would!

I started Step 4 on Saturday having ended up losing a further 2 lbs on my second week of Step 2 and 2 lbs on my week of Step 3. I planned to do one week at each step unless I gained or STS (in which case I'd do an extra week at that step) in order to determine how my body copes with the extra carbs and cals and so far, so good!

I've got 4 days left of Step 4, doing a week on Step 5 after that, and also doing a 'Step 6' week of my own at 1800 cals, as I don't want to jump from 1500 to 2000+.

I've managed to stick to my gym plan, going 3 times a week and gradually building up my time and intensity, and I have to say, I'm really really enjoying it. Doing a session on a Saturday and two weekday ones before work, and it sets my day off so well as I feel I've achieved something already when I sit at my desk at 9am! Also stuck to the steps religiously with no cheats, and am amazed by how full I feel on Step 4. Think part of it is cause I have almost two thirds of my cals in the afternoon/evening, so may try and spread the food out a bit more next week on Step 5.

I'm feeling incredibly positive, 2 lbs from goal as at my weigh in on Saturday just gone, and hope to hit goal by the end of my Step 5 week which means any loss on Step 6 is a bonus! Really don't know why I didn't stick at the steps before, as I feel fantastic for it and can feel my mindset changing too. Will try and remember to post my loss on Saturday and the two after that.

Just wanted to update to say how happy and content I'm feeling..

I'm coming to the end of a good week on step 4, doing really well at work and not constantly worrying about how I look and losing weight (because I've lost it!) and realise how much happier I feel at the moment than when I'm binge eating a load of crap all the time in response to sadness, happiness, anger, or whatever.

I'm eating to smother my emotions, whatever they might be, and actually, I don't want to do that anymore, because it feels pretty good to feel it all and really feel like I'm doing all I can to make myself as happy as I can be.

I hope I continue to feel this way when I come off plan, and I'm continuing to see a counsellor to overcome my binge eating issues which should help, but in the meantime, I'm successfully tackling one day at a time. I also think the exercising is helping me work out all my negative energy and giving me a routine to stick to.

On plan steps + exercise + counselling = happy Jo!

Lost another 2 lbs on Step 4 :) So I'm now at goal!

In London for training and staying the night and went to the gym this evening to stick to my routine so pleased with that. Can't do a proper Step 5 day today as I don't want to risk restaurant food so sort of doing a Step 4 day and will have a few extra cals tomorrow to make up for it. Just this second realised I wasn't even tempted by the usual fancy biscuits today! I think I've only just registered that because I wasn't thinking about eating at all. After tomorrow I'll only have 3 more Step 5 days and a week on 1800 cals. Can't believe how quickly its gone!

Lost another 2 lbs on Step 4 :) So I'm now at goal! In London for training and staying the night and went to the gym this evening to stick to my routine so pleased with that. Can't do a proper Step 5 day today as I don't want to risk restaurant food so sort of doing a Step 4 day and will have a few extra cals tomorrow to make up for it. Just this second realised I wasn't even tempted by the usual fancy biscuits today! I think I've only just registered that because I wasn't thinking about eating at all. After tomorrow I'll only have 3 more Step 5 days and a week on 1800 cals. Can't believe how quickly its gone!

Congratulations on getting to goal!!! Must feel amazing!

Further lb down at the end of Step 5 so a lb below goal :) It was actually more like 1.5lb so hoping I'll lose a further 0.5lb this week and I can count that as another lb then! Only 5 days to go til maintenance eek!

May have already said this but planning on doing 1 fast day a week, cal counting during the week and eating what I want (within reason) on weekends. I'll update every so often on how I'm doing.

Further lb down at the end of Step 5 so a lb below goal :) It was actually more like 1.5lb so hoping I'll lose a further 0.5lb this week and I can count that as another lb then! Only 5 days to go til maintenance eek! May have already said this but planning on doing 1 fast day a week, cal counting during the week and eating what I want (within reason) on weekends. I'll update every so often on how I'm doing.[/QUOTE

Yeah please keep updating during maintenance Jo. I am about 8 weeks away and I would live to hear how you do it!!

Jx

Thanks Julie! Nice to know someone is reading :)

I'll try and update weekly with my weight (hopefully staying steady!) and what I've been eating / the exercise I've been doing. I do expect a bit of a water gain the first week but as I'm measuring too I won't panic unless my measurements change :)

Hope you're doing well on plan.

Sooo first day post plan and Ive told myself for weeks I could have a guilt free day of overeating today and start my proper maintaining tomorrow.

Trouble is, all I feel is really sick and guilty! I just want to get right back on plan :( I feel just as bad today as I have done in the past when I've cheated despite the fact this was planned.

Totally gutted. No idea why I feel so awful when I'd planned this out and knew I'd have a very calorific day. Just want to cry. And the trouble is, my plan had been 1 fast day a week, weekdays a bit lower than TDEE and weekends calorific (as they'll be netted out by the week) but I can't do that if it makes me feel like this!

I think what I'm upset about is I had a big lunch and then sweets in the cinema (and felt stuffed but fine for it) but then I felt the need to eat tons of chocolate this evening just to get the most of out of my 'guilt free' day - I ate when I didn't want to just for the sake of it.

Hopefully that's my lesson learnt. It was never going to be easy (though I hoped it was) to go from being a major binge eater to being completely easily in control but I hope I manage to stick to my original plan this week (planning Sunday-Saturday weeks) and prove to myself I can maintain happily and successfully. At the moment, I'm just gutted.

Feel much calmer and more rational this morning.

Talked it through with my husband and he pointed out I didn't actually stray from what I'd planned, and that in the past I'd have eaten twice as much and yesterday was still probably only half of a 'normal' binge day for me.

I recognised that what I was really upset about was buying a load of chocolate (3 Krispy Kremes and about 3500 cals worth of thortons) that I didn't actually want, and that I felt I was self sabotaging but as he pointed out, I had 1 Krispy Kreme and about 500 cals worth of chocolate and stopped when before I'd have kept going even if I felt really sick.

It was still stupid to eat it when I was full and didn't want it, but he also reassured me lots of people who don't have food issues overeat at the weekends. That doesn't make it OK, but it also doesn't mean that I'm still in the same emotional headspace as I was before I completed the plan. I was being stupidly harsh on myself and I've recognised the following:

1. I stopped eating the chocolate and though I ate til I felt a bit sick, I'd normally plough on through and keep eating until everything was gone. I didn't do that - I recognised the potential for it and stopped.

2. I binned the rest of the Krispy Kremes and chocolate last night so I wouldn't be tempted to do it again today - I'd NEVER have done that in the past, I'd have kept anything left (despite feeling horrible for it) and have repeated the mistake today and again felt horrible for it. So I've learned a lesson.

3. Next time, if I want a doughnut or chocolate that's ok - but I should only buy what I'm happy to eat that day. If I feel I want more the next day that's fine, but it means I can't mindlessly eat stuff I don't actually want just cause it's there. I'm not going to buy chocolate or sweet stuff during the week either - it's too tempting and because I don't feel full from the cals I think it makes me eat more to make up for it. Weekends only - and only enough for the day. If I want more once I'm settled I'll have to get off my backside and go get it.

4. And sort of on that note, I don't need to keep eating after I'm full to get 'value' out of the weekends. I have to learn that feeling really full from a gorgeous meal is enough for me and that once I reach that point I musnt eat any more. I don't have to have sweets in the cinema if I'm already full from lunch- it's still a lovely trip without sweets. That's going to be so hard for me to recognise as I feel I have to get the maximum 'food value' out of a trip even if I don't really want what I'm eating. No idea why - one for my counsellor I think! I need to accept that if I 'save' on my weekly allowance that's great. Even if it's only 1000 calories a week that's still a lb off a month with no effort.

5. I had planned yesterday. I didn't do what I've done in the past; weeks of sole source to goal and then huge binge and never getting back on track. I finished the plan. Actually worked the steps and finished it. With exercise. Ive never done that before - I haven't failed myself, I've successfully completed plan but I'm finding it hard to accept the following:

6. One day of over eating rubbish does not a fat girl make. 7 days a week of MASSIVE overeating and no exercise makes a fat girl. I'm not a fat girl. I'm allowed to have the odd binge (as most 'normal people' do), I just have to rein it in for the rest of the week. Only I can make the decision not to be a fat girl - there's a big self sabotager in me and she's a nasty little bratty ***** who stamps her feet and sulks 'but I want MORE' but I'm not listening to her anymore - I'm a grown up now and I'll have enough- but not too much.

7. As planned, maintenance starts today. My weeks will run Sunday - Saturday in terms of calories and gym sessions and each week I'll update on how many calories I've had, how much exercise I've done, and how my weight looks. My TDEE based on my weight, height and exercise is 2450 a day (so 17150 a week to maintain) and I do suspect that's a little high but I'll give it a couple of weeks and see. It's inevitable I'll end up a lb or 2 up due to water weight but if I've above 12st 4 this time in 3 weeks I'll know I need to adjust.

8. I have to trust myself. I stuck to the steps, I now exercise regularly, I have a plan, and I can stick to it. I'm not a fat girl anymore.

Jo you are so tough on yourself! You've done so well and you had a day off, had some yummy food but didn't go as far as you could have or previously would have. It's done, you've learned something from it that will help you in maintenance and you've moved on. From what you've said, it sounds like you'd need to have gone through this experience at some point to learn about maintenance. So the good thing is that you've learned very early in your journey.

My only thought is I am sorry you didn't enjoy your day off!

I read your thoughts with interest though as your learning will help everyone else. So thanks for that.

Jx

Thanks for your message Julie. Hope you're doing well.

Today was much better. Had a big lunch for Mother's Day and some sweets in the cinema (much less than yesterday though) and when I went to the supermarket to do the weekly shop I walked up and down the sweet, biscuit and treat aisles and thought about if I actually wanted anything and decided against it as I'm stuffed and don't actually want anything.

Had to fight against buying something 'just in case' I wanted it later but I fought it and have come home with no crap and as I threw all the extra away last night I've prevented the potential for a binge.

Without a doubt, that's progress. Going to start doing an arm workout 3 times a week plus the plank challenge and am starting that tonight and then gym tomorrow.

Today was my first day of maintenance and I think I've done well. Always inclined to think I should've had less sweets or less lunch or whatever but I'm in my days calories and I'll be doing my planned exercise.

Fast day tomorrow. Think I'll be glad to lose the bloat! And 1 fast a week is much much better than fasting full time ha.

Last edited:
Completed my first fast day yesterday and it was so much easier than the usual first Cambridge day on plan, which I guess is all psychological and knowing it's only for a day. Got a feeling I'll be bloody hungry today though and it's only 7am!

On my second gym session of my week now :) I'm planning on doing M,T,Th and F sessions, and doing a 6 week plank challenge plus an arm workout DVD 3 times a week as I do all cardio at the gym and though I feel my legs getting stronger, that's not the case for my arms which feel very flabby compared to the rest of me!

Did my first arm workout Sunday and not even slightly achy yesterday so I think it's possible I didn't use weights heavy enough so I'll try slightly heavier ones tonight. The plank on the other hand- phew! Did 20 secs the first day and thought it was too easy, so did another 20 secs which was harder but still easy. Yesterday I did my second 20 secs and flipping eck! I really felt it though I could still hold it. Going to do 2 lots a day (they recommend 1 but say more is fine) until I'm up to about a minute I think, at which point I'll just do the 1 ha! Might also introduce a leg dvd session on arm off days depending on whether I feel I'm working my legs enough. Will build up slowly though, don't want to do tons and then be fed up and give it all up!

Feeling much more positive after sticking to my planned intake on Sunday and completing my fast day without much of a problem. Nice to shed the weekend bloat too! Def going to stick with 1 day fast days for a while.

Today I went to work with the best of intentions with a low cal low carb lunch but it all went out the window when someone brought in Galaxy eggs and creme eggs for their birthday! Ended up eating two, which would've been tolerable but I've been craving sugar ALL DAY and guzzled a club orange and mini roll soon as I got in. With my dinner which I'm having in a bit I'm on 1930 cals for the day (aiming to stay under 2000 on my non fast weekdays) so as long as I don't eat anymore chocolate I should be fine.. However, at the moment I just want to eat a load of chocolate!

I'm really noticing that even if I'm feeling good in the morning that once I have even 1 bit of chocolate I want more and more and more. Which is why I decided at the weekend id try not to have chocolate during the week.. I may have to stick to that after all!

Back